Thread: [survey_ce] TYPOlight survey tool

User

Default [survey_ce] TYPOlight survey tool

The survey_ce extension is used to create questionnaires and run online surveys with TYPOlight. It supports the following question types:

• Multiple Choice Questions (Single Response, Multiple Response, Dichotomous)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]
    • Openended Questions (Single-line, Multi-line, Date, Time, Numeric)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]
    • Matrix Questions (Single Response, Multiple Response)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]
    • Constant Sum Questions[/*:m:2lwvbt78]

You can create online surveys with multiple pages and one or more questions per page. A survey can use the following access restrictions:

• Anonymized (free access for anyone, no user tracking)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]
    • Anonymized with survey code (TAN-Code, transaction number) (access using an unique code, no user tracking)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]
    • Personalized access (access for TYPOlight member groups, user tracking)[/*:m:2lwvbt78]

Survey results will be presented cumulated for every question. It is possible to export the results for further anaylsis with statistics software. The export format is Microsoft Excel XLS.

There is only a german documentation available but don't hesitate to ask me anything you like here in the forum. I will try to create an english documentation too.

If you have any suggestions, feature requests, questions etc. please use this thread. Since I am doing this only just for fun in my spare time it might take some time for me to answer your questions.

This extension will grow! I have a lot of additional features in mind.

Enjoy using survey_ce!

Helmut
    Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion -- the "x" makes it sound cool.
    -- Bender

User

Default Re: [survey_ce] TYPOlight survey tool

Hi, im trying to use this great module as a quiz. How can i redirect the final page based on the results?
    ===
    Fernabel

User

This is not possible at the moment. The "problem" is that I don't collect "points" like quizzes do so it's relatively difficult to get a "result". But I think andreas.schempp is planning his upcoming module as a quiz module.
    I will also create a quiz module since I already wrote a very complex test & assessment module for another CMS but this will take some time.

Best,
    Helmut
    Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion -- the "x" makes it sound cool.
    -- Bender

User

thanks Helmut for your answer, i will be waiting for that module!! :D
    ===
    Fernabel

New user

Hi, Helmut

could you please explain for the dummy (me exactly), how to apply survey to front end? ops:
    I understood all the survey creation process, but can't think out how to use created survey ((( There aren't neither proper content element no modules in the back end...

User

But there should be a proper content element called survey.

If you edit an article, then you should be able to add a survey be selecting Survey as a content element.

Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Argh.... Shame on me. I've found it!
    Thanks for your help, Helmut.

User

Hey, no problem

Sometimes it's hard to find the right things. Often it's not clear if you need a module or a content element for your frontend output. And there's a lot of content elements and modules too so it's easy to overlook something.
    Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Hi Helmut,

I'm interested in using the extension, and had a quick question:

Does it support conditional display of questions? Or conditional processing of results? I.e. a client has a question in a survey that asks "Is this your first year participating in the event?" and if the answer is NO, then a question regarding the previous year applies. Otherwise, hide the followup question and/or ignore its results.

It's not a major issue, as we can use the questionnaire instructions to direct the people responding, but it would be nice if there were some control over it.

Thanks!
    Adam Harvie

User

Hi Adam,

conditionals are planned but not yet implemented. I am waiting for some time to continue the survey development.
    Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Ok thanks Helmut.

I've put together our survey, and it's working well, but when I went back to fix a typo (having timed out and needing to log into the TL backend again), the survey pages are now uneditable:

Any idea why this would have happened?

EDIT: Ok, I just found out that deleting the participant list enables editing again. I can see how this could make sense for the sake of consistency in a survey, but it seems inconvenient in case of minor corrections.

User

I can see your point but the problem is that the system cannot distinguish between minor corrections and changing a question. I will think about it...

Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Hi,

I am new to typolight. I have a problem with the survey. I have successfully installed it in Typolight, it shows in the backend modules, however when I click on 'survey' or 'scales' I get the following error message:

An error occurred while executing this script!

If you are a TYPOlight user, contact the administrator of your website.
    Open file system/logs/error.log and search for a corresponding entry.
    Open file system/config/localconfig.php and add the following line:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['displayErrors'] = true;
    Read the TYPOlight FAQs or visit the TYPOlight support page.
    To customize this notice, create a custom template file named templates/be_error.tpl.

I tried to look at the folders and access rights. So far I couldn't get it to work. Hope someone can help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
    Michal

Experienced user

in Settings...Security settings enable "Display error messages" and you will get more information about errors when they happen. What you're seeing is just a generic error message, which doesn't help you find the reason or debug.

New user

Hi,

OK, thanks for the hint. Now I can see the whole error message, which says:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Query error: Table 'typolight.tl_survey_result' doesn't exist (SELECT * FROM tl_survey_result WHERE pid='') thrown in /var/www/system/libraries/Database.php on line 519

#0 /var/www/system/modules/survey_ce/dca/tl_survey.php(5): Database_Statement->execute('')
    #1 /var/www/system/libraries/Controller.php(1755): include_once('/var/www/system...')
    #2 /var/www/system/modules/backend/Backend.php(122): Controller->loadDataContainer('tl_survey')
    #3 /var/www/typolight/main.php(99): Backend->getBackendModule('survey')
    #4 /var/www/typolight/main.php(294): Main->run()
    #5 {main}

What does it mean and how can I solve it?

Thanks for all suggestions.
    Regards, Michal

User

Hi Michal,

Did you update your database after install modul?
    Marcin

http://www.contao.pl - Polish Support Site
    http://forum.contao.pl - Polish Contao community forum

-----------------------
    Need custom template? Feel free to contact me by e-mail marcin@contao.pl

New user

Hi qrczak,

Thank you for your reply. No, I don't think so. How do I do it? Can it be done from within Typolights backend?

Regards, Michal

User

Quote Originally Posted by michub
    Can it be done from within Typolights backend?
    Sure. In Typolights backend go to "Extension manager" and at top of page there is a "Check/update database" link.
    Marcin

http://www.contao.pl - Polish Support Site
    http://forum.contao.pl - Polish Contao community forum

-----------------------
    Need custom template? Feel free to contact me by e-mail marcin@contao.pl

User

If you don't use the extension manager, just open the TYPOlight install tool by accessing http://PATH_TO_YOUR_TYPOLIGHT_INSTALLAT ... nstall.php. Check the "Update database tables" sections for further information.

You have to check always for database updates after installing an extension or updating TYPOlight. The easy way is doing this with the TYPOlight extension manager. If you do it manually, you have to open the TPYOlight install tool to check for database updates.

Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Hi again,

Thanks a lot! Looks like it works now.

All the best,
    Michal

New user

Hi,

thanks for this brilliant tool! If you could only update us on the issue of conditionals? Is it possible to conditionally skip questions in the most recent built?

Would appreciate your answer.

Thanks,
    Lukasz