Thread: Sorting without grouping in the BE

User

Default Sorting without grouping in the BE

Hi thyon,

I have a catalog of places with numeric fields for geographical coordinates which I would like to sort on in the BE.
    In that case, grouping is completely irrelevant, but I didn't succeed in sorting without grouping (the system won't allow it!)

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any tip.

Experienced user

Default Re: Sorting without grouping in the BE

The TL backend can only sort without grouping in a parent/child view (like News is sorted on date). There can ONLY be 1 sort field declared and you cannot have to selectable. As soon as you have it selectable, it MUST also group, as you can see in all other TL sorting arrangements (Module Name groups by first letter).

User

Never mind. That's only me that works in the BE, so I guess I'll survive :D

Thanks for your answer.

Experienced user

I've been able to hack the DC_Table.php to make this possible. If you still need this feature, then i'll provide the hack -- its not upgrade safe though... There are also some modifications needed to the Catalog.php to make it happen. TL assumes that if your table contains a 'sorting' you must want that to be used as the sorting, otherwise why would you have added it. All catalogs contain a sorting value, so if you dynamically decide to move between sorting and date, you can still keep your sorting values. TL doesn't like this, and I've added a request for it with leo.

User

A "sort with no-grouping" option will make things easier when almost all values are unique, as for the geographical coordinates (or prices, or whatever).
    But if it becomes a hassle, and I have to do some special trick at every upgrade (and there are many, as yourself did mention in another post), I'd rather go without it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for having given so much thought on the subject. You're very dedicated to improve these extensions, and that is very invaluable for those (as myself) not knowledgeable enough to create their own extension.