Thread: Step By Step procedure to create tags

New user

Default Step By Step procedure to create tags

Hello,
    I need to use tag clouds in my site. I want a step by step procedure to create tags as well as use them in front end. Can anyone provide me with the documentation link . In my site at the back end i have added few tags in news but how to use them to work at frontend is still unknown to me . Please help me out if any one knows about it

User

Default Re: Step By Step procedure to create tags

Hi mithila,

I will translate my german documentation and post the URL to you within the next hour.
    Best,
    Helmut
    Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion -- the "x" makes it sound cool.
    -- Bender

New user

I will be waiting for your docu. Thanks a lot

User

The people in this forum restore my faith in human nature, where else do people take an hour out of there day to help others!!

I'll also make use of the English documentation - Many thanks.

User

Sooo, it took me longer than the announced hour because I detected some bugs and had to fix the bugs.

This is not a step by step guide but I hope that it might help you to use the tags extension. I'll see that I also add a step by step guide soon.

Here's the URL of the documentation: http://doc.aurealis.de/doku.php?id=typolight:tags_en

Best,
    Helmut
    Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion -- the "x" makes it sound cool.
    -- Bender

New user

Hey thanks for the documentation. By reading it i got confirmed with my procedure i followed to create tags and link it.
    The issue which i m facing now is , when i click on any article tag ,the redirection page does not show me the results. Instead it always gives me result "no articles for this tag". I have included "Global article list" as well as "Article list (Tags)" in the result page. Well, Thanks for all your kind help to provide me documentation,it helped me a lot in clearing my concepts related to tags

User

Hi,

hm, I assume that you maybe selected different datasources for the article tag cloud and the article list. I tested it on my demo page and it works there.
    I fixed a small bug a few minutes ago, but it had nothing to do with the display of the list.

If you use Article List (Tags), there is a data source section where you have to select the root element of the page tree that should contain the relevant pages. Maybe you did miss to select that or made a wrong selection.

Can you check this?

These are the settings I used for my demo page:

Tag Cloud (Right Column): Tag Cloud (Articles)
    - Jump to page: Same page as the tag cloud (contains also Article List (Tags))
    - Datasource settings: The root page of my english site page tree

Article list (main column): Article List (Tags)
    - Datasource settings: The root page of my english site page tree

Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

Yup, It works... The datasource selection was not webroot in my site. thanks..

New user

Hi

Just wondering of there is any way to create <title>Tags - TAG SELECTED</title> so that we can have unique titles across these pages.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

Nigel
    Internet Marketing is both measurable and accountable.
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley
    On Facebook Caroco Marketing

User

This is possible but you have to dive into the code. You need the global $objPage object and then you can set the page title. I've done something similar with the xtmembers extension. You have to do something like

Code:
    global $objPage;
    $objPage->pageTitle = $objPage->pageTitle . " - " . htmlspecialchars($THE_SELECTED_TAGS);
    somewhere in the compile function. Maybe I'll add something like that as an additional feature in the future but now I can't due to 'some' time issues.

Best,
    Helmut
    -- Bender

New user

HI Helmut,

Could you point me in teh right direction (i.e. which files) and i'll try it out, get it working and let you have teh mod back for inclusion

Thanks

Nigel
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley

New user

Thanks to the lending hand of Helmut and Fred (fbliss) i managed to achieve what i needed, so for anyone else wishing to do the same;

in /system/modules/tags edit the following files;
    ModuleEventlistTags.php
    ModuleGlobalArticlelist.php
    ModuleLastEventsTags.php
    ModuleNewsArchiveTags.php
    ModuleNewsListTags.php

search for "$alltags"
    and add the following immediately after it

Code:
    global $objPage;
    	  $objPage->title = $objPage->title . " - " . htmlspecialchars(join(', ', $alltags));
    Hopefully this will help someone and maybe helmut can add it to his code to make it part of the next update

Thanks

Nigel
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley

New user

I had gotten my tag cloud up and running, but was having trouble making it link correctly to a list of tagged articles. I was able to figure it out with the help of this thread, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write up some English documentation for us.