Thread: Change Language Module

New user

Default Change Language Module

Dear Friends,

I have installed the Change Language Module to allow visitors to switch between English and French on my webpage. I have created the structure of my Fallback language webpage (English).

How do I have to insert the Change Language Module in the Layout in order to be able to switch between the language?
    What kind of Module type does it have to be?
    What do I have to do to get a new selectbox called “Fallback-Page”?

cheers

User

Default Re: Change Language Module

Maybe you should have asked this question under the Extensions support/changelanguage category of the forum: http://www.typolight-community.org/viewforum.php?f=28

Anyhow, this is how i got started, information from the old forum. credit to cabrilo:
    http://www.typolight.org/forum/message/52311.html

1. Download and install http://www.typolight.org/wiki/extensions:changelanguage

That is a great extension that you will have a lot of use for. It works with 2.6.1, and actually, on it's page, you will find good starting tips

2. Create a site structure in the primary language

So, first create a Root of a new website, and specify its language. Set this as the fallback language.
    Under this Root, create the site structure as you normally would.

3. OPTIONAL, but RECOMMENDED: Add all content to the primary language site and set it up as you wish

It is really useful to now make all the modules you need, set up layouts as you wish, etc. Test that everything works as you want. So, DEVELOP your website. If you will do a lot of direct translation (i.e. you have the same content in both languages), it will help you that you enter all of it now. See the next step to understand this step.

Make sure you add a Change language module somewhere in your layout, so it's displayed on every page.

4. In Site structure, for the default language Website Root, do a "Duplicate page ID 1 with subpages" (this is a green button with a down arrow)

This will copy the entire site structure, as well as all the articles you entered, setups etc. Set this new root to your new language (uncheck Fallback language option),

5. In Site structure, translate everything to the new language and connect them to the primary language

Now go from page to page, translate their names, set their Language, and select appropriate page in the Fallback-Page field (this field is provided by the extension you got in the first step).

The fallback-page is the other-language-equivalent of that particular page. Now, when you click the output of Change Language module (in the frontend) for each one of your pages, it will direct you to the equivalent page in another language. This is very cool.

6. If you already created your articles, publish them and translate them in the secondary language site

When you copied the site structure, you also copied all the Articles in it. You will need to translate them and publish them (they are unpublished by default after copying).

7. Crate new news archives and front-end modules

I'm still not sure how to best go about this, but for each news archive in the primary language, I have a secondary news archive in the secondary language. I also created modules for displaying those, and added them to the secondary language. There must be a nicer way to handle this though...
    language module in layout
    1. Go to 'Modules' make a module type 'change language' - configure settings. save it.
    2. Go to 'Page Layouts' in section 'front end modules' select the module that you've just made. To the right choose which column it should appear in ie 'Header'.
    That is it, the rest is CSS placement. finish.

the “Fallback-Page” dropdown's should appear in your 'Site structure' pages now.
    geung

Experienced user

t.lazzeri - I'm moving this thread to the extension support section for this module.

New user

Thanks
    I installed the Change Language extension, but it overwrote my local configuration file and I received an error message on the front end. I had to de-install in order to get the front end back to normal. What can I do in order to avoid this problem?

Cheers.

New user

Hi...
    Sorry for being a bit slow. I have installed the change language module and I m now trying to set up the site structure for the second language...
    I like your instructions being so detailed. Can you just help me with one part (getting started).
    You speak a bout a roof site. I have a root page for my first language (German) and created another root page
    for my second language. But that one sits under the first root page, since there is no option to make it on the same level. With roof site, do you mean, I create a general root page and then two root pages (one for each language) under that?

I attach a screenshot to show you what I mean...
    Appreciate any help to get me started..!

Many thanks in advance,
    Nadja :?

Hi Naddls,

you have to add all your regular pages "in" the corresponding "Website root" ("in" means one level down, so you can collapse the entire structure)
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Hi xchs...
    I thought I might have to, was just scared to move everything without knowing for sure...
    Am trying this now...!

Many thanks for your kick start!

Nadja

New user

Default SOS!!!

Help!

I have created a roof-root page and then a root page for each language with the pages underneath each.

Now my website is not working anymore! What have I done? What have I broken??

Can someone help please?!

Nadja

New user

Default SOS

oh - here s a screenshot of what I have done...

New user

Sorry! Ignore my last posts (how can I delete them?)
    I panicked. Since I published everything, it s all back and working. I got ahead of myself again.
    Sorry and thanks again for the help!!
    Nadja ops:

New user

Default Change Language Modul

Quote Originally Posted by Naddls View Post
    Hi...
    Sorry for being a bit slow. I have installed the change language module and I m now trying to set up the site structure for the second language...
    I like your instructions being so detailed. Can you just help me with one part (getting started).
    You speak a bout a roof site. I have a root page for my first language (German) and created another root page
    for my second language. But that one sits under the first root page, since there is no option to make it on the same level. With roof site, do you mean, I create a general root page and then two root pages (one for each language) under that?

I attach a screenshot to show you what I mean...
    Appreciate any help to get me started..!

Many thanks in advance,
    Nadja :?
    Through web site server (cPanel) I addedd the change modul, but don't know how to deploy it in contao. still don't have option fallback page?
    someone can help me?

site server? (cPanel)? change modul?

Which Contao Version?

In BE you install [changelanguage]. Then copy your website-root. Enter another language in the second website-roots settings (one root will get the checkmark fallback language checked).

In your non fallback root tree you will see a hint with every page that has not assigned a fallback page. Open those pages and you will see a dropdown to select the fallback-page.

Create a FE-Modul Typ changelanguage and include it in your layout.

The text you quoted is obsolete.
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist