Thread: [SOLVED] FSMenu and IE: script error

User

Default [SOLVED] FSMenu and IE: script error

Hi all,

I need some help with FSmenu. I followed the wiki http://dev.typolight.org/wiki/1/TutorialsFsMenuEnglish by the letter.

I additionally tried to add the suggested header part mentioned somewhere else
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
     	var Moo_addEvent = window.addEvent;
    	window.addEvent = function(){
    		if ($type(arguments[0]) == 'string') return Moo_addEvent.apply(this, arguments);
    		$(arguments[0]).addEvent(arguments[1], arguments[2]);
    	};
    </script>
    Finally, I tried to disable the moo scripts in the page lay-out.

No matter what, I keep getting the error about script
    Code:
    "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"
    Nothings seems to help. Is anybody able to help me with this? I really want to fix this before I spent a lot of time on styling the menu. The test-page using it is here: http://test.tv-wijdewormer.nl/jeugdpagina.html. Don't mind the positioning, I'll fix this later.

Last thing to mention: I am using 2.8RC2 and IE8 to test the page. Firefox 3.5 is running with no errors at all.

I really hope someone can help me.....

User

Default Re: FSMenu and IE: script error

I can't help,, but I can confirm you are not losing your sanity :-)

I have the same problem with 2.8RC2 and IE8.

http://dev.peterboroughgreyhounds.com

I commented out all of the scripts one by and this is the one that seems to be causing the problem:

plugins/mootools/mootools-core.js

I am was hoping that this problem would disappear with the final release of 2.8, but I'm not sure!

It also seems strange that I am also using FSMenu! And mine also runs fine in Firefox!

User

Hi Gary,

I think it is because mootools in 2.8 is upgraded to 1.2.4 and the workaround mentioned in the wiki isn't suitable for this version of mootools.

I've asked Ben Robinson if he's already testing this with this version, as he has FSMenu implemented in a production environment.

I don't think it will go away.... Because mootools 1.2.4 is part of the 2.8 release. So somebody has to discover another workaround. Unfortunattely, I am no javascript expert to tackle this. So I am depending on others in this one.

BTW, I checked and your site has exactly the same behaviour. First time load, no problem, second time (refresh) script error....

Regards,
    Paul

User

BTW Gary,

Your site is looking great! Very nice implementation!

User

Gary,

I am about to give up on fsmenu. It is now a showstopper, and if there's no solution..... Ben also don't know the answer (yet). I am going to try another one....

Have you ever looked at http://www.mycssmenu.com/ ?

The main challenge will be to get a navigation template according to mycssmenu structure.

Regards,
    Paul

User

Hi Paul,

I have written to Angus the, the developer of fsMenu, so may have a cure soon.

I do not have experience of mycssmenu, but the interface looks near enough the same as that by http://www.opencube.com - I found it too fiddly and hard to update.

If you do give it a try let me know how you get on.

User

Allright Gary,

Give me a sign if Angus replied. I'll try mycssmenu in the meantime

Regards,
    Paul

User

Default Re: FSMenu and IE: script error (SOLVED)

Hi Paul,

Angus identified a 2nd conflict between FSMenu and mootools

The fix is to edit fsmenu.js and replace all 3 instances of "removeEvent" with "fsmRemoveEvent".

I have tested this and it works a treat for me :-)

Cheers,

Gary.

User

Gary,

Great man! I'll try it in a second. Sure it will fix my problem as well as it was identical!

Paul

User

Default Re: FSMenu and IE: script error (SOLVED)

Quote Originally Posted by Doublespark
    The fix is to edit fsmenu.js and replace all 3 instances of "removeEvent" with "fsmRemoveEvent".
    Works like a charm...! Thanks Gary (and Angus of course)

New user

Default Re: [SOLVED] FSMenu and IE: script error

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem with the following TYPOlight / Contao website after an update to version 2.8.3:

I followed the instruction of http://dev.contao.org/wiki/1/TutorialsF ... n-template several times and tried to get the navigation work again, but no luck. After updating to the current version I had problems displaying the FSMenu just in IE but right now it's not working anywhere, which absolutely frustrates me. Right now I have no clue what I can to fix it. :cry: Have you got any idea?
    Thanks for your feedback and ideas...

User

On line 75 of your fsmenu_data.js file, I'm unsure what the "n" is doing at the start of the line "naddEvent...."

Should that be removed?

New user

hey doublespark, thanks for your answer. Meantime I solved the problem and the menu works like a charm. Surprisingly enough the IE seems to react very sensitive on invalid source-code. Nevertheless that was one reason for the described issue.