Thread: Tag using taxonomy ?

User

Default Tag using taxonomy ?

Hello,

Perhaps you'll find it a strange ask but i'd like to limit tags to an admin's defined list of tag to use them as categories. So, could it possible to use Thyon's taxonomy's module lists as the tag field and, of course, as the filter field ?

Thanks

Charled.

User

Default Re: Tag using taxonomy ?

Hi,

It could be possible if I integrate this into the tags extension. Well - more or less. It's no big deal to allow only tags which can be found only in a certain location like thyon's taxonomy extension.
    Please contact me via personal mail (info AT aurealis.de) so we can discuss out the usage scenarios. Afterwards I could start with a tags or taxonomy extension which allows to integrate this (I must find the time for this since I'm heavily involved in other projects but it looks worth the work)

Best,
    Helmut
    Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion -- the "x" makes it sound cool.
    -- Bender

New user

This seems like a useful idea to have in the tag extension. I mean being able to select which tags displayed in a tag cloud would mean that you could use multiple tag clouds as categories to filter the results, well events is specifically what I had in mind. Did you get any further with this?

Many thanks

Experienced user

There doesn't seem to be a solution for this Helmut.

Is there any way you could consider building a variation where the tag list is restricted to a pre-selected taxonomy checklist or root point (you'd have to have a method to say, selected items or selected children, like in catalog). I guess this could become too complicated with many variations as taxonomy is a tree not a flat list.

The benefit of the taxonomy is that it becomes like a category system and thereby you can setup tags and then you have both the tag name AND the label. At the moment, I have to cludge the tags system to force it to list all the tags used in a Taxonomy project, and then I have to manually map the tags in the template to the same Taxonomy labels. This is for projects where you have fixed tags/categories that have special colour codes, etc.