Thread: Best practice for multilingual extensions

User

Default Best practice for multilingual extensions

I wrote a small extension a while back. Now I want to extend it and make it multilingual. Sadly I could nowhere find any information about the recommended way of doing it.

Can someone give me some information about it? Is there a mandatory way of doing it? Or a recommended way?

Experienced user

Default Re: Best practice for multilingual extensions

As far as I know you make a new folder in your modules languages folder named with the two-letter country code you want(say "de" for german)....copy in the language files from your existing folder ("en" ??) then just translate the labels.
    Look in system/modules/faq/languages for an example... its in german and english

User

OK. From what I get it is like this:

1) I create a directory "languages" in the extension root directory. In there I create for each language a new subdirectory.

2) In those directories I create files with the translations similar to this:
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC']['faqCreatedBy'] = 'Last update on %s by %s.';
    Here I have some questions:
    - In this FAQ module I have seen that there are several language files. Do I have to make several ones and are there rules on how I have to name them?
    - I have seen that sometimes arrays are given as translations. For what is this? I didn't get the concept behind it.
    - Do I have to put everything into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC'] or can I put it into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['foobar'] as well? Are there some rules I need to follow?

3) Then I have to but into the main file some commands to where the strings are given to the template. E.g. like this:
    Code:
    $this->Template->back = $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC']['goBack'];
    And here I have some questions related to the ones above:
    - How do I tell contao which file with the translation will be taken? I guess this is given somehow and I need to follow some rules on how to name the file. But I didn't find information about it.

4) Then in the template the translated string can be accessed like this:
    Code:
    echo $this->back;

And at the end another question. How can I define the fall back language? E.g. if my extension would not provide the fall back language defined by the administrator in contao?

Experienced user

Have you seen this?
    http://dev.contao.org/projects/typol...rialsTutorials
    Specifically http://dev.contao.org/projects/typol...rialsExtension and http://dev.contao.org/projects/typol...ewLanguagePack

I wrote a small extension a while back.
    How have you made this???... I thought you'd already have a languages/en folder by neccessity in it.

User

I used the "Extension creator" to create the base structure for the extension. And there was no language directory in it.

I did look at the two tutorials now but none of them answer my questions I had in the last post.

Experienced user

In this FAQ module I have seen that there are several language files.
    There are two, English and German.
    Do I have to make several ones and are there rules on how I have to name them?
    The rule is countrycodes in the folder name ... languages/en, languages/de languages/fr etc. Only one is required (and I'm puzzled that you don't have one).

I have seen that sometimes arrays are given as translations. For what is this? I didn't get the concept behind it.
    The array will show in the backend as a label beside the field and a "tooltip" underneath the field.

Do I have to put everything into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC'] or can I put it into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['foobar'] as well? Are there some rules I need to follow?
    If in your DCA folder you have a DCA file called tl_foobar.php and a field in it is called min_nights, it might look like this.
    Code:
    'min_nights' => array
            (
                'label'                   => &$GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['tl_foobar']['min_nights'],
                'inputType'               => 'text',
                'eval'                    => array('mandatory'=>false, 'maxlength'=>2, 'rgxp'=>'digit', 'tl_class'=>'w50'),
    			'filter'                  => true,			
    			'default'                 => '1'			
            ),
    In which case you would have a file BOTH in languages/en and languages/fr also called tl_foobar.php
    and that would look like
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['tl_foobar']['min_nights']   = array('Minimum Booking', 'Will not show if 0 or 1');
    in the en/ one and
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['tl_foobar']['min_nights']   = array('Le Boooking du Minumum', 'Nes pas l'view if 0 or 1');
    in the fr/ one

$GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC']['goBack'];
    is an already defined label for the goback button that you can use, or override if you want to define your own label

Note in the DCA/tl_foobar.php the label is defined
    Code:
      'label'                   => &$GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['tl_foobar']['min_nights']
    If you wanted this label to say "Go Back" you could define it as
    Code:
      'label'                   => &$GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC']['goBack']
    How do I tell contao which file with the translation will be taken? I guess this is given somehow and I need to follow some rules on how to name the file.
    Not sure... If the users language is fr/ they'll see the french one, but if its not maybe it uses the defined fallback language.
    Just guessing

User

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet
    Do I have to make several ones and are there rules on how I have to name them?
    The rule is countrycodes in the folder name ... languages/en, languages/de languages/fr etc. Only one is required (and I'm puzzled that you don't have one).
    I was asking about the files within those directorties. Not about the directories itself. I understood the rules behind the directory name.

The array will show in the backend as a label beside the field and a "tooltip" underneath the field.
    OK. Since I do not have a backend I do not need this. But good to know.

Do I have to put everything into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC'] or can I put it into $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['foobar'] as well? Are there some rules I need to follow?
    If in your DCA folder you have a DCA file called tl_foobar.php and a field in it is called min_nights, it might look like this.
    My question was partly answered. I do not have a database table for this extension. It is a pure frontend extension which is doing only some calculation. Can I use in my case $GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['foobar'] or is there another array I would have to put it in?

$GLOBALS['TL_LANG']['MSC']['goBack'];
    is an already defined label for the goback button that you can use, or override if you want to define your own label
    I already unerstood this. I only wanted to use this as an example to ask about the structure of the sub-arrays, e.g. if ['MSC'] is a fix term I need to use or not. You answered it with the answer above.

How do I tell contao which file with the translation will be taken? I guess this is given somehow and I need to follow some rules on how to name the file.
    Not sure... If the users language is fr/ they'll see the french one, but if its not maybe it uses the defined fallback language.
    Just guessing
    This was for me a more or less general question. It would only happen if I would release the extension for others. Because the following situation could happen: I develop the extension with the languages German and English. But it will be used in a website where the front-end is only in French and Spanish? What would happen in this case?

Thank you for answering the questions till now.

Experienced user

Don't know sorry. Best to experiment in my experience.

User

Quote Originally Posted by modir
    just name the file as you like and "load" it into your extension with (assuming you have a class that extends Module):

Code:
    $this->loadLanguageFile('the_name_you_have_assigned_to_the_file_without_extension');
    Quote Originally Posted by modir
    I develop the extension with the languages German and English. But it will be used in a website where the front-end is only in French and Spanish? What would happen in this case?
    all the strings that haven't a translation will be displayed in english
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it

User

Hi ga.n,

Thank's for the information. This helps me a lot.