Thread: Product List by last 7 days (start date) and multiple price

Experienced user

Default Product List by last 7 days (start date) and multiple price

The client has a video store, and it's now becoming apparent, either my lack of knowledge or isotope's lack of options.

Product List of latest 7 days based on start date?
    Would this even be possible? I don't mind writing a copy of the module to make this happen. Will I just have to add startdate to the sort order (since they want it NOT sorted on title, but release date), AND change it to filter on startdate, NOT tstamp.

Multiple Prices, for different categories:
    They want a Video product to be in DVD with purchase price, in Blu-ray with purchase price, in DVD with rental price and Blu-Ray with rental price. How do I set it up so they enter the item once and then just specify the multiple prices? I haven't got a clue. The variant options and menu's don't match up with the manual?
    PS. What is Price override, can/should I use that for rental/purchase price?

I've setup the price as a variant, but I can't create variant items, there is a hidden field, that I cannot complete, which prevents saving. Also the DVD and Blu-ray might have different release dates, so I enabled the start date to be variant, and this causes alignment problems in the backend as well. See all this below.

[attachment=0:suhjf1lu]isotope-variant.jpg[/attachment:suhjf1lu]

Default Re: Product List by last 7 days (start date) and multiple pr

Hi Thyon-

The latest products will need to be built using a custom listing module. I built one already if you want to use it... It's fairly simple.

For you variants, you need a field set up as a variant attribute option (i.e. "type") that you can use to define the variant. Otherwise it cannot just differ on price (that is coming later with the addition of advanced pricing).

Go to store-config > attributes and set up a new attribute called type and add it to the product option settng and also to your product type, and it should clear that up...

Experienced user

Hi Blair

The variants DO NOT WORK correctly. I have now tested this in various ways with Fred, and it seems that it's pretty much a part that still needs a bit of work.

I've setup 2 additional fields called:

Movie Format
    ( ) DVD
    ( ) Blu-Ray

Price Type
    ( ) Rental
    ( ) Purchase

1. I activate add these attributes above to the variants wizard.
    [ x ] "Add to product variants wizard"
    [attachment=2:1zs3t6t3]attribute.jpg[/attachment:1zs3t6t3]

2.Then I enable the Price in the variants tab for the product type, as the only variant field. You will notice that the new attributes DO NOT appear in the variant list (is this right?). They do show in the product fields above.
    [attachment=1:1zs3t6t3]prod-attributes.jpg[/attachment:1zs3t6t3]
    [attachment=0:1zs3t6t3]prod-variants.jpg[/attachment:1zs3t6t3]

continued in second post...

Experienced user

3. If I add a variant manually, the variant setup area (where you would choose DVD/Blu-ray and Rental/Purchase) is emtpy (I know what it looks like, because I got it to show once)
    [attachment=1:103no7kh]variant-add.jpg[/attachment:103no7kh]

4. Also the variant generator is empty.
    [attachment=0:103no7kh]variant-generate.jpg[/attachment:103no7kh]

I have got it to work once, but now somehow it's "lost" the variant setup. Surely it can't be this nitpicky to set-up? right?

I know you create the variants, then they appear in the wizard generator and then you quick-edit the prices for all 4 combinations (rent DVD, rent Blu-ray, buy DVD, rent DVD).

Type display problems:
    Also in this quick EDIT view AND in the variant display (when you click + next to the item to show its variants) the display shows this (when I got it to work, so no screenshot sorry):
    Media Type: d
    Price Type: rent

This isn't right, the DB actually only contains "d" instead of the attribute value set to "dvd" so there is a storage widget problem. Also, shouldn't the value be translated to the label -- that just makes it look nice for the client.

Hmm... Looks like I might have to go back to a custom BE system, if I can't resolve these things.

thyon becomes frustrated since he cannot bend isotope to his will...

Try checking "Defined by Customer" in the attribute and then check off Media Type in the Product Type attributes.

I have it working on at least a dozen stores with the latest build. If it is not working submit a ticket in the Project Manager and we'll have Fred or Andreas take a look at it...

Official Contao Team andreas.schempp's Avatar

You must enable the new attribute in this product type, otherwise the product type cannot know which fields define it's variant selection.
    terminal42 gmbh
    We are Contao Premium-Partner! For Isotope eCommerce support check out the Isotope Circle.

Experienced user

I posted a followup on the ticket. It's still not working.

User

I'm having this exact same issue, I had it on an install that i had upgraded a lot so i did a clean install with new contao 2.9.1 and installed isotopes latest version through the extension repository but it's exactly the same.

I've tried everything but no joy.
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

Experienced user

Yeah, I understand they are working on this as an extension, but variants is pretty much a core feature, so that cannot be this unpredictable in stable software....

Hi Guys,

You're right about what needs to be done, but we're missing people *willing* to put some legwork in to do it. I'm going to be very straightforward with you - this is beta software, and we need your feedback as well as your legwork if you want this to speed up. Remember, we're only two guys about 90% of the time, and Andreas is 1.5 of those guys most of the time at the moment. If you want to put some of your own resource behind this to speed things up, then you can delve into the code and try to smoke out the bugs and report back to us. We would absolutely love to have that kind of participation, but surely you both understand that a) no promises have been made to what is working and what is not and b) that we are trying to make a living on top of going the extra mile to do all this work for the benefit of the community. It really is no different than what Leo has done to give us Contao, right?

Official Contao Team andreas.schempp's Avatar

There's nothing more to be said from me...
    terminal42 gmbh
    We are Contao Premium-Partner! For Isotope eCommerce support check out the Isotope Circle.

User

Hi,

I'd love to help, I have had an issue with the paypal standard not working as you will know about from the bug site. Apart from the time i spent with you (which i appreciate) It was pretty much stated it did and that was that.

My developer spent about 3 days looking into it and found a problem which we fixed. I noted this on the bug site but not had any feedback. Most of this time was speant just digging around trying to find out how Isotope worked.

Also We have spent 2 days looking into the notes on orders. This is meant to be working but we haven't a glue how to go about setting it up. We'd love to develop this for you guys but my developer is struggling to get his head around Isotope without any documentation. some instructions on this would set us on our way.

Any chance of some informtion on how to help? developer documentation, future features, roadmap, working process, who's responcible for what etc.
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

Hi Ben-

What would you like to know? Getting your head wrapped around Isotope should not be too difficult if you're familiar with Contao and an MVC framework. I'm no expert developer, but I can usually trace how and why of the inner workings because of my knowledge of how Contao works.

Unfortunately we do not have the time to do a thorough documentation of the code right this second, as I know Fred, Andreas and myself are all extremely busy with building out projects related to Isotope, plus things are still in a state of constant change, although we are finally moving towards a more stable foundation. But we do plan on having one in the future...

I have not yet had a chance to check out your bugfix since we have PayPal working fine on a bunch of other sites, so like we said, it is working, but perhaps your fix addressed something specific to your setup. I am not sure how hard-coding a pid really will solve things, and I can't reproduce it on my system, and I don't think Andreas or Fred can either. You'll need to see why {$this->User->id} is not being output on your system in that particular bracket of code and trace it back from there. Any good developer should be able to solve that, but if you are still having trouble I'd be happy to jump in and help if I can. If you want you can PM me, and I would love to try and setup your exact system locally so that I can test and try and reproduce your problem.

Is Isotope perfect software? No. However, it does offer flexibility that I have not yet found with any other eCommerce software to date, and please know that we are working hard to fix every bug we can and get it in the hands of the community so that you can take advantage of it as well. There is a lot of cool stuff in the works, too, and a big "thank-you" goes out to all our clients who have funded the project thus far. I hope that with all of your help that we can continue building and improving what I consider to be a very useful project.