Thread: Multi domain configuration

User

Default Multi domain configuration

This is a short tutorial on how to setup a multi domain configuration with Contao on a hosting server with Plesk. There are actually two steps to follow:

1) Configure Contao
    2) Configure your hosting plan

I start with the first: Configuring Contao
    You need one Contao installation on domainA.com (change domainA.com with your own domain). At this domainA you run a site with Contao (first site structure in backend). Under "DNS settings" of this site structure be sure your domainname is "domainA.com". Fill in your "Language" and select "Language fallback". See the second image.

Now you're gonna create a second site structure for domainB.com (change domainB.com with your own domain). The site structures in the backend of Contao should look like the example image.

[attachment=1:go30bzji]contao_config2.jpg[/attachment:go30bzji]

Under "DNS settings" of this site structure be sure the domainname is "domainB.com". Fill in your "Language" and select "Language fallback".

[attachment=2:go30bzji]contao_config1.jpg[/attachment:go30bzji]

Second step: Configuring your hosting plan (in this case it's a shared hosting server with Plesk Control Panel 8.4)
    Be sure domainB.com has been registered but no hosting should be setup. Go to the hosting plan of domainA.com. Open the option for "Domain aliases" and click on "Add Domain Alias".

Fill in "domainB.com for the "Domain alias name". "Synchronize DNS zone with the primary domain", "Mail" and "Web" should be selected. Click "OK" and that's it.

[attachment=0:go30bzji]plesk_config.jpg[/attachment:go30bzji]

After this you're ready and domainA.com and domainB.com should work from one Contao installation on domainA. On other Hosting Control Panels it could be a little different but it should be not that hard to realize.

Experienced user

Default Re: Multi domain configuration

If you use H-sphere it'll be different - just use your Contol Panel to register your second domain-name to the H-sphere system, disable web hosting on that domain, and that then gives an option to alias the second domain-name to any web-hosting enabled domain. Alias to the domain your Contao installation is set up on.

User

Thanks Ramjet,

This is what we need to make it complete with information about different hosting control panels. So, everybody with different information about multi domain configuration on hosting plans other then Plesk and H-sphere, please contribute to this topic.

New user

Hi

I just read this thread and tried to get my subdomains working. But then I saw that in the example the DomainA and DomainB are both under the root Contao Open Source CMS. Does it matter if my first root is my DomainA or should it be like in your example?
    I attach a photo to show how it looks for me:
    [attachment=0:1uy0yorp]frosticDump.jpg[/attachment:1uy0yorp]

Thanks!

User

I'm not sure but I think so. Otherwise you can't set the dns settings for domainA. You'll have to try and error.