Thread: assign access rights - SOLVED

User

Default assign access rights - SOLVED

I am setting up a backend user group to edit some pages. I understand that once i have created the user group and assigned this group membership to the users, I then need to edit each page and assign access rights to the user group. In my case, I am interested in assigning rights to the entire site, that is to all pages in a site. Is there a way to do this globally? Something like setting the access rights for the webroot page and then allowing the same rights to be inherited by all the subpages.

I believe I can do this with edit multiple pages option, but even that gets to be a lot of permission assignment if there are many pages.

imported_Nina
    Gast

Default Re: assign access rights

Just open System > Settings and define that user group as "standard group". Define the default access rights for that group below.

User

Nina, I wonder if by defining a standard user group you mean setting that group as a Default page group. I could not find setting a standard user group option in settings.

When I select the user group as a Default page group and then set the default access rights there, I am able to give that user group rights to all pages and articles that are available to them through the Page Mount option. But I am not entirely clear on how to set up a Default page group for a different group that requires different rights. When I select a different group from the Default page group drop down, the Default access rights don't change.

Also, I am not sure what it means when the Default page group has no selection and there are Default access rights given for a group. This is how it is set up in Contao demo (see image below):

[attachment=0:2pl1ntng]ScreenShot006.jpg[/attachment:2pl1ntng]

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by tmikk
    Also, I am not sure what it means when the Default page group has no selection and there are Default access rights given for a group. This is how it is set up in Contao demo (see image below):
    You need to create a group for the default group first.
    --
    Takahiro Kambe

User

I think I understand now how the Default Page Group works in System Settings. By defining a group and then setting it as a Default Page Group and giving it appropriate rights would do two things:

1. Users of that group would be able to act on pages and articles for the pages for which the group's Pagemount is set.
    2. Every new page that is created anywhere on the system would assign these default group rights to that page.

This assigning of a default group works in system settings works well when Contao is used with a single website, but not when used in managing multiple sites/domains each with its own web root. Sometimes there a need to allow a single group of users to act on all pages for multiple sites, but often there is a need to allow a group to act on pages for one site. I think an additional location where the similar default group setting option could be located is in the webroot page. When placed in webroot page settings one could define a default group settings for that website/domain.

Does this make sense? If it does, I can submit a feature request unless someone has already done that.

User

You do not need to. Each root page can have access rights defined and all pages below will inherit those rights for as far as I know. :?

User

Vera, you are correct. There is "Assign Access Rights" in Website Root Pages. Just a miss on my part. Thanks for helping me out with this! Contao is great!