Thread: Google Maps API Key Field not visible in Contao 2.9.3

User

Default Google Maps API Key Field not visible in Contao 2.9.3

I have a number of installations of Contao in various versions from 2.8.x to 2.9.3. I have installed the dlh_googlemaps module perviously and have successfully inserted the Maps API key into the Site Structure, but I've been looking for the key field in several websites I have with versions of Contao 2.9.1 to 2.93 and the Maps Key field does NOT appear in either the "Website Root" page or the "Home Page" of the site. Right now this is a new install of 2.9.1 just upgraded to 2.9.3.

I'm on a Linux/Apache server, not sure if this is one of the weird Contao issues where something works on a Unix flavor server but doesn't work on Linux, but I would appreciate any help on how to get this activated and set the field. The dlh_google maps extension is installed and has a current update. I show version 1.0.0 Build 31and it has "Expected to be compatible with Contao 2.9.3" in the status field.

I found a thread from 2009 that states if I add this line of code to the template:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&key=IAAAA9V...your_key_here...e5 A" type="text/javascript"></script>

that the Maps Extension will then work. Is this correct?

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

User

Default Re: Google Maps API Key Field not visible in Contao 2.9.3

Update: the current Google Maps API script is a little different from the thread in 2009, here's the current version:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&amp;v=2&amp;sensor=true_or_false&amp ;key=INSERT_YOUR_KEY_HERE" type="text/javascript"></script>

User

The extension does NOT work with the script call i referenced above. I've created a map, inserted it into a module, and added the script call to the template. The headline for the map module appears but not the map. I assume that the script is looking for the Google API key that should be added to the field on the site root page that is not visible or for some reason is not being added to a table somewhere in Contao.

For the time being I will just embed the Google Maps into a custom HTML module using the Googles map embed script.

If anybody has any thoughts on how to get dlh_googlemaps working, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Experienced user

The latest vesion of dlh_googlemaps no longer requires an API key as it now uses the v3 Google API (which does not need a key anymore).
    The googlemaps extension used to add the API key field to Contao, now it doesn't.
    You don't need to add any script to the template, this is done for you.

I just installed this [exceptional!] extension, and it worked out-of-the-box for me.

New user

Default does dlh_googlemaps meet Googlemaps Policys without API?

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
    The latest vesion of dlh_googlemaps no longer requires an API key as it now uses the v3 Google API (which does not need a key anymore).
    The googlemaps extension used to add the API key field to Contao, now it doesn't.
    You don't need to add any script to the template, this is done for you.
    Hi! So, if used for commercial websites, Google requires to use an API key to legally embed maps, -if I read the Terms and Conditions correctly.
    With the dlh_googlemaps plugin there is no key to add anymore, is this legal then for a commercial website? Meaning: Is the API key somewhere embedded in the code?

Sorry if this is a little off topic!