Thread: Confused by pic size rules

New user

Default Confused by pic size rules

Hey Thyon,

still trying to get accustomed to the great expanded possibilities of the new version. Concerning gallery images: module settings are obviously (to some extent) overriding gallery settings. Only with empty image size and no. of pictures per row fields (both in list and viewer module), the FE displays differently set numbers of rows according to each gallery configuration.

However I wonder where e.g. the fullsize or default template retrieve the picture sizes. In the modules I left the size fields empty. In one of the galleries I set them to 110 x 110 exactly but the FE shows 120 x 180 px miniatures. The latter is a setting I tried yesterday at some point, which was before I reinstalled the whole thing due to the problem that meta.txt settings were being ignored by the gallery.

I'm a little at a loss here ...

Anka

Experienced user

Default Re: Confused by pic size rules

The image sizes are used exactly as Contao's built-in gallery system and in fact uses the same function to render the content.

For an Image which original size is 200x150

Setting in module: 100x80 with box mode set to one of the following below:

Exact Dimensions - 100 x 80 (cropping will occur of 6 pixels of width)
    Proportional - 100 x 75 (width fits, but height is adjusted proportionally)
    Fit the Box - 100 x 75 (height is decreased to fit width into box)

of course if you set only one setting, then that setting is honoured:
    Setting only a width of 100:

Exact Dimensions - 100 x 75 (proportional)
    Proportional - 100 x 75 (proportional as well)

The best is to test these settings out yourself.

New user

Size and orientation of the the original pictures vary pretty much. That's why I prefer a square format for the miniatures, so 110 x 110 px (exact dimensions) works fine in the built-in gallery and looks pretty neat and homogeneous. The pictures are scaled down and cropped.

With the gallery extension everything seems to be working fine - at least after the initial setup. But when I try to define different miniatures sizes for each gallery (album), then the gallery gets out of control seemingly picking its own dimensions instead of using the ones I defined (e.g. 120 x 180 instead of 110 x 110). In other words size definitions in the modules are being processed, while specified dimensions in the galleries aren't only ignored but instead some fictitious values being used.

So it looks to me as if the only way to create different miniature settings for each gallery would be to create separate modules for each gallery or either create a lot of gallery archives each containing just one gallery. Is that the way this is supposed to work?

Experienced user

The Gallery module and it's routines simply passes the information to the internal Contoa image function, so it could be that the image function is the one to look at, rather than the gallery.

I've tested this extensively, and I've never had a problem, even at small sizes. I think your settings are just wrong, but without any FE URLs or examples or BE screenshots of the settings, I can't help you any further.

I've used the gallery pretty extensively here and these all render in a consistent box for the thumnails, and the larger panoramas all render in crop mode:
    http://www.plumbagophotography.co.za/

Also here, the artwork is rendered in a consistent box as well.
    http://www.delaney.co.za/aerial.html

And there is no way to produce different thumbnails for different galleries in LIST view. The gallery only contains the settings of the viewer thumbnails (on the viewer page). Therefore if you want to vary the thumbnail sizes of the LIST module, you will have to make a different module with a different thumbnail size for every "set" of gallery items that have a different view required.

New user

And there is no way to produce different thumbnails for different galleries in LIST view. The gallery only contains the settings of the viewer thumbnails (on the viewer page).
    I see, that's a helpful piece of information. Actually this is about the viewer page (in the list view I'm only offering the gallery titles, poster images, and gallery descriptions).

My settings in the viewer module: [attachment=1:363jeb4y]settings_gallery_viewer.jpg[/attachment:363jeb4y]

And the gallery settings: [attachment=0:363jeb4y]settings_gallery.jpg[/attachment:363jeb4y]

These settings result in 120 x 180 px poster images in the list view as specified and ... in 120 x 180 px miniature images on the viewer page, although I set them to 100 x 100 (and 110 x 110 px in a second gallery in the same archive). How come? What am I doing wrong?

Experienced user

I have double-checked all the code and the values (if valid) for any of the individual values, e.g. size, margin, per row, per page, etc. are all checked FIRST to see if the module value is used, then it falls back onto the gallery value, which in your case will be 100 x 100.

The code extract proves that this code is working like this. You can try to put a print_r($size); AFTER this routine, to see what value it puts out.
    Code:
    				// Get gallery size, module override or gallery
    				$chksize = deserialize($this->gallery_size);
    				$fullsize = 0;
    				if ($chksize[0] > 0 || $chksize[1] > 0)
    				{
    					$size = $this->gallery_size;
    					$fullsize = $this->gallery_fullsize;
    					$limit = $this->gallery_numberOfImages ? $this->gallery_numberOfImages : $limit;
    				}
    				else
    				{
    					$size = deserialize($objGalleries->size);
    					$fullsize = $objGalleries->fullsize;
    				}