Thread: Preview mode?

New user

Default Preview mode?

Hi,
    is there a kind of 'preview mode' in Contao?

Example:
    - I want to change an existing, published content-element
    - but the changes shouldn't be published immediately, because an other person should control the changes before publishing
    (so there are 2 versions: the old published and the new not-yet-published version)

I am talking about an "save but not publish"-functionality.

Perhaps there is an extension, that could be used for that?

Thanks
    Siegi

User

Default Re: Preview mode?

Every article has a "Publish" checkbox at the bottom of its edit screen. If you're plugging in modules for testing, instead of inputting them into the layout, plug it into an article so you can control whether it gets published.

If you have editors that are making adjustments, and you want to ensure they don't publish content right away, you can take away their rights to use the "Publish" checkbox via User Groups privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtensa
    I am talking about an "save but not publish"-functionality.
    It reminds me that an content element dosen't have publish control in its edit view but there is a toggle button its listed in parent view. I think that there could be publish checkbox in an edit view of a content element.

P.S.
    So, I fill a ticket #2879 today. Attached patch add toggle button to content element's edit view.
    --
    Takahiro Kambe

User

there's also the choice of using the ce_startstop module and setting a start date for the year 2999. ce_startstop extends the Publish Date/Time to all content elements.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by mechaflash
    Every article has a "Publish" checkbox at the bottom of its edit screen. If you're plugging in modules for testing, instead of inputting them into the layout, plug it into an article so you can control whether it gets published.

If you have editors that are making adjustments, and you want to ensure they don't publish content right away, you can take away their rights to use the "Publish" checkbox via User Groups privileges.
    I'm not sure whether I get the point: you described a method how to make a publish-control for modules?
    You are using an extra-article for every module?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ixtensa

I'm not sure whether I get the point: you described a method how to make a publish-control for modules?
    You are using an extra-article for every module?
    I added in the module part because I didn't know what you are publishing content with. Some people use the articles directly and create text elements in the articles, others use modules to publish content (I.E. News Module, Content Boxes, etc.).

Main thing is you want to control when content gets published correct?

Give me a scenario of who's publishing what content, and if a specific module/feature is involved, and I'll be happy to be more specific with what methods can be used. There's a few different routes you can go with this depending on what you're using to create your content, and some methods are more beneficial than others depending on how much control or automation you want.

New user

Give me a scenario of who's publishing what content, and if a specific module/feature is involved, and I'll be happy to be more specific with what methods can be used. There's a few different routes you can go with this depending on what you're using to create your content, and some methods are more beneficial than others depending on how much control or automation you want.
    It's a very very simple scenario, eg:

Page: About
    Article: About
    Content-Element: About-Headline
    Content-Element: About-Text

There is only 1 editor who is allowed to do everything.
    The About-Text: Example-Company has 234 employees.
    The editor wants to change the text to: Example-Company has 400 employees.
    The editor wants to save the changes but in the frontend there should still be: Example-Company has 234 employees.
    Somewhere in the future (not a special day) the editor wants to publish the changes with one button-click.

User

I see now.

The best way to approach this in Contao is to copy your article (about) right below your currently used one, and you would make the changes to the copied article(we'll call the copied article NEW_About).

Now your copied article (NEW_About) will be a mirror image of the original, including keeping the class names etc, the only difference is that since it's a copy, it will default to NOT being published (very nice so you won't forget to turn it off).

So when you're ready to publish the changes and put them up on the site, all you'll have to do is go to articles, un-publish (eye icon) "about" and publish "NEW_About". It will be as if it were one in the same.

New user

I see now.

The best way to approach this in Contao is to copy your article (about) right below your currently used one, and you would make the changes to the copied article(we'll call the copied article NEW_About).

Now your copied article (NEW_About) will be a mirror image of the original, including keeping the class names etc, the only difference is that since it's a copy, it will default to NOT being published (very nice so you won't forget to turn it off).

So when you're ready to publish the changes and put them up on the site, all you'll have to do is go to articles, un-publish (eye icon) "about" and publish "NEW_About". It will be as if it were one in the same.
    Yes, this seems the best way and the most simple.
    ThankX