Thread: Forum crashing

Experienced user

Default Forum crashing

Perhaps another idea would be to update the forum to something that doesn't crash all the time? Right now I can't open this forum: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2919 (500 error)

At other times it crashes when I try to submit some php code, I cannot add most attachments because about the only thing accepted is .zip.

Default Re: Forum crashing

I already had this FXP (aka "Forum eXPerience") many times, too. :shock:

Annoying thing!
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

Experienced user

Most frustrating is I had it several times when I tried to post some php code to help someone. It took me so much time to answer those figuring out what part of my answer was causing the problem. The forum then also crashes and returns after about 10 minutes...

Yes Ruud, I know, this is quite frustrating sometimes.

I already mentioned this several times:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2801&p=12053#p12053
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2510&p=10710&#p10710
    → Support options

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud
    Right now I can't open this forum: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2919 (500 error)
    I can open the thread without a problem. What exactly does the error message say?

Experienced user

I'm not sure, there was a more elaborate error message. 10 minutes after posting I could access the thread again, even though I could access other topics in the meantime. But I've posted several pieces of code that consistently crashed the forum and I had to revise my answer in order to post. I've seen a reply from Thyon recently in which he said he couldn't post his code. For me the problems are only caused when I post some php code. But judging from the frequent server error responses other people might have the same problem.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

I still need a detailed description of the error message as well as the exact code that you have tried to post. Maybe it is a suhosin issue (we have already had one in the past).

Experienced user

Well, I've done a quick search and one thing I found was I cannot just post any link. I attached a file inside is a text file which has a link in it that crashes the forum when it is in the message body.

Also, I had to zip a txt file. It would be nice to be able to attach some more filetypes.

I'll show some php code if I can find some, remember that I revised the code until it worked with the forum...

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

I can reproduce the error and I have contacted the hosting company in the UK. I will let you know what they say.

Experienced user

Posting a message to a particular thread crashed the forum for me multiple time.
    Always -
    403 Forbidden. You do not have permission to access this document.
    For ten minutes or so each time the entire forum domain is inaccessable to me (and probably to others). "Cannot find server" in IE and Firefox (uncached).

The message is just text, no code.

Details below
    Times (NZ time - approx): May6: 1am, 10.47am, (message contained full insert tag - posted to thread with full insert tag in previous post) CRASH CRASH
    10.57am, 11.20am, (message edited so no insert tag - posted to same thread) CRASH,CRASH
    11.30-ish (posted short message re removing insert tag from previous post) SUCCESSFUL - so its not the thread?
    11.38am (same message posted to new thread to test) CRASH - it must be the message?

Going to Cntrl-C then post now, then upload zip of message for inspection.

EDIT: thread was http://www.contao-community.org/view...php?f=6&t=3024

[attachment=0:26s01qjm]Post Crashes Forum.zip[/attachment:26s01qjm]

The first crash was caused by a completely different message, as I never cut and pasted it -so the second crash was a complete rewrite (the one attached). The first one did contain an insert tag.

And now I'm going to post it below as a message, to see if yet another crash.

Experienced user

CRASH. 12.50pm approx
    so its the message.
    Can someone please tell me why the above zipped plain text message crashes this forum?

EDIT: I tried again while Frank was online, and crash again, for him also. EXACTLY ten minutes downtime each post attempt - times 7 attempts means that attached post has taken the forum offline for 70 minutes today. And its just text!
    Last one was at 7.25pm NZ time.
    URL of the forbidden page was posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=3024

This was one of my attempts to post a link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2801&p=12053#p12056

Forum crash -> Error 403 -> site not reachable for about 10 minutes (and this several times!)
    → Support options

Experienced user

Well I'm stumped. Theres no similarity with your one xchs.
    Mine is text/no code/no links - yours is just a link.

EDIT: Test below of cut-and-paste -
    Well I'm stumped. Theres no similarity with your one xchs.
    Mine is text/no code/no links - yours is just a link.
    So its not cut and paste causing it

Experienced user

Who admins this forum?
    Maybe this is a solution - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewt...f=46&t=2105421 suggests
    setting
    Code:
    zend_optimizer.optimization_level=0
    Anyway the exactly ten minutes downtime should be a clue - thats programmatic from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet
    Anyway the exactly ten minutes downtime should be a clue - thats programmatic from somewhere.
    That's not only programmatic, that is extremely annoying! The last time I needed about 40 minutes to write/rewrite/transmit a simple post with a few lines. Crazy! :shock: :cry:
    → Support options

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Still no idea what is going on The 34sp support is not very helpful, both Clemens and I have contacted them but they refuse to register and try it on their own. Maybe we need to change the host.

Experienced user

Maybe we need to change the host.
    I think so.
    Re above: you could try zend_optimizer.optimization_level=0 in php.ini to see if it makes a difference.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

After weeks and months of dissatisfaction and almost no support by the hosting company, we have finally moved the forum to another provider. Hopefully, this will solve most of the issues. If you are still experiencing problems, please report them here.

Experienced user

It seems to respond faster as well, at least I noticed it on my phone.

ps: this is a link I was unable to post before: http://www.google.nl/intl/nl/webmasters ... ide-nl.pdf (The contents of that file is not useful in this thread. Just the fact that I can post it now, because the forum crashed before when I tried this)