Thread: Drag 'n Drop Creator

Experienced user

Default Drag 'n Drop Creator

What would be really, really kewl is to have drag/drop support in Contao.

• We could drag pages around, copy them easily -- no more "look client, that is the paste icon" ... "Where, I can't see it"....[/*:m:3079i9l5]
    • We could drag css and mootools to the page, and very easily reorder them (currently the checkbox Wizard widget I wrote works, but it sucks where the one in the middle needs to be at the top) [/*:m:3079i9l5]
    • We could drag Modules easily into a picture with a header/footer/left/right, depending on the one we selected[/*:m:3079i9l5]
    • Articles can quickly be re-attached to other pages and the ability to manage both pages and articles in a single space (similar to the enhanced version that has drag and drop)[/*:m:3079i9l5]
    • Drag and drop files onto the file manager (when we drag onto the file tree, a drop area could open up underneath a folder to accept the drag[/*:m:3079i9l5]

So much can be done with a more "design" outlook to this powerful system.

User

Default Re: Drag 'n Drop Creator

I totally agree.

Are you talking about "extcontao"?

Demo: http://econtao.rhino-systems.com/
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

Experienced user

Yes, I was talking about that. However it doesn't do everything I mentioned, since you can't drag drop the location of an article or a module, you still have to edit that and change the selection to [header, footer]. A much more intuitive way is to simply drag an article into the header/footer/main/left/right.

I like the (I see it's updated now) extContao, but it looks like windows and it really only benefits because things are fitting into a tree. It kinda reminds me of Windows' Management Console (which I never liked anyway), as it just provides an interaface to pop-open panels, not really a new way of working, so it's not really suited to contao's multiple layers of interwoven elements. I really like that its a step in the right direction.

Seems like you'd need to adopt a JS UI library to do things like that. I have been keeping tabs on MochaUI for Mootools:

http://mochaui.org/demo/

It seems to do a lot of cool stuff. Maybe one of these days when we're not buried with work I may do some experimenting to see what we can do.

The one thing that would be amazing is to have different tabs for workflow. The thing that bugs me about extContao is that since everything is still tied to your session if you have multiple tabs open they get rendered useless because it never remembers where you were.

Oh, yes, and I agree with Thyon that more stuff could be drag+drop. We need to think about reducing the number of clicks it takes to get things done. That's probably my one peeve about the current Contao framework.

Experienced user

Have you guys tried:

valumsFileUploader
    http://www.contao.org/extension-list/vi ... er.en.html

Pretty kewl