Thread: Contao conference 2011

Default Contao conference 2011

Hi everybody

Three days to go until the annual Contao conference takes place in Bad Soden, Germany.
    I know that some of you are tracking the project "Contao" very closely and are always keen on knowing what's going on when people meet and they find it annoying that everything is in German but that's how it is when working with Contao
    Anyway, here's my offer:

The official hashtag on Twitter is #ck2011 (k for the German "Konferenz" which means conference). I will therefore tweet using the hashtag #ck2011en 8-)

I don't know what to tweet yet, so I leave it up to you what you want to do with this opportunity. You can ask whatever question you want, whatever you're interested in and I'll try to be your ear at the conference and do my best to find out about your concerns and give you a little insight into the conference
    Regards

Yanick - Contao core developer @terminal42 gmbh

Default Re: Contao conference 2011

Here's what I'm keen to find out:

• The new template system & HTML5. What we need to do to upgrade
    • The new User Agent detection. How can devs use it for things like mobile/tablet sites
    • Any new core Hooks we can take advantage of
    • What's new from Isotope & Catalog (shameless plug)
    • Any other changes that could have an impact on the performance of the system
    • Where Contao goes from here

Lots of exciting stuff. Oh, and I'd love for Leo to end the keynote with "Just one more thing", as a Steve Jobs final surprise.

yes, there are many topics

Share all the documents, please
    Paolo B.
    Contao ambassador
    ContaoCms.it - Sito di riferimento per la comunità italiana

The new template system & HTML5. What we need to do to upgrade
    I'm sure this will be described in detail again in a blog entry when 2.10 has been published (by the way, the beta1 has been published yesterday) but the new system will support both, HTML5 and xhtml so we will have two template endings:
    • template.html5[/*:m:79kl9k5u]
    • template.xhtml[/*:m:79kl9k5u]

To keep backwards compatibility the *.tpl templates will overwrite both.

The new User Agent detection. How can devs use it for things like mobile/tablet sites
    There's a presentation tomorrow about mobile development but I don't know whether this will cover development using the user agent detection and unfortunately I will not be there and able to listen to it as I will do the Isotope workshop.

Any new core Hooks we can take advantage of
    There are a few new hooks but I won't go further into detail about this. Every developer can search for a simple "TL_HOOKS" and I'm sure that they're going to be added to the documentation.

What's new from Isotope & Catalog (shameless plug)
    Isotope is tomorrow, but it's a workshop, don't know whether Andy is going to present the future of it but we will discuss about what the to-do's are Catalog: beta2 has been released a few days ago.

Any other changes that could have an impact on the performance of the system
    Many!! The performance optimization has been one of three main topics for the 2.10:
    • HTML5[/*:m:79kl9k5u]
    • CSS3[/*:m:79kl9k5u]
    • Performance optimization[/*:m:79kl9k5u]

Many core methods have seen optimization and caching. There's a new FileCache class which is caching the paths to classes so __autoload() doesn't need to search all module directories.

Where Contao goes from here
    An outlook is usually made at the finishing presentation where Leo is talking about what's planned.
    This is for tomorrow
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloB
    yes, there are many topics

Share all the documents, please
    Will see what happens with the presentations. Usually the do upload it anywhere (hope they're going to be centralized on www.contao-konferenz.de) =)
    Regards

User

Any news about Contao 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    Any news about Contao 3?
    Yes, I talked to Leo about this topic and he told me to let you know that development will definitely start this year.
    We had a little workshop where we were talking about the best modular architecture for a future Contao version but time was simply not enough and I felt like we weren't discussing about the real issues (maybe there were too many developers - my opinion).

Very likely developers are going to meet again in November to discuss about Contao 3.
    Regards

Experienced user

Quote Originally Posted by Toflar
    The new template system & HTML5. What we need to do to upgrade
    I'm sure this will be described in detail again in a blog entry when 2.10 has been published (by the way, the beta1 has been published yesterday) but the new system will support both, HTML5 and xhtml so we will have two template endings:
    • template.html5[/*:mbt5rcjz]
    • template.xhtml[/*:mbt5rcjz]

To keep backwards compatibility the *.tpl templates will overwrite both.
    Are you sure? The person I went to the conference with said he understood the same thing from Leo. But... The Controller::getTemplate function looks first for the html5 and xhtml files and stops when found. Te tpl files are ignored if a html5 or xhtml file is found. So I'd say the new files override the old IF available.