Thread: Email Blog Module (dead thread)

Experienced user

Default Email Blog Module (dead thread)

Hey up.
    This is a simple Blogging Module that can display backend posts (title/text/images) to multiple Blogs, as well as display posts sent via email.

Edit 17 April 2012 - Now in Repository
    Repository: http://www.contao.org/en/extension-l...000009.en.html
    Support thread: http://www.contao-community.org/view...hp?f=21&t=4071

Default Re: Email Blog Module

Thankx, will have a look @ it!!!!!

New user

Hi Ramjet

I have just downloaded the module, I see that there is no encryptation settings.
    I can not connect by polling the mailbox after installation using pop3, but IMAP works perfectly!!!!!

The module looks really good, it fits my needs!

Thanks

Rémi

New user

Default Re: Email Blog Module, it Rocks!

Hi Ramjet
    I have tested the module
    My workflow is now set, I am sending from a gmail account, it rocks!!!!! - and works perfectly.
    with and without picture. I am publishing directly to the page, I love it!

I also have tried forwarding an email, by adding the [Subject Code ] in the subject, it works
    I only would add a regex to automatically avoid publishing any email address when forwarding to the email blog.

By inserting the frontend module in a page layout, I have issues with the 2 lists:
    -" Blog List entry" template does not show nothing (¿?)
    - "Blog List" does show the link to the blog but the url is erroneous, it is a rewrite issue I think, it points to my homepage with the parameter ?id=2:
    htttp://www.mywebsite.com/alias-of-page.html?id=2

the common display "Email Blog Module" works fine.

Another thought
    Would it be possible to encrypt the password of the email as md5, I do not like to have this info in clear in the db.
    Can you tell me more on security, by using this module on production?

Best

Rémi

Experienced user

By inserting the frontend module in a page layout, I have issues with the 2 lists:
    Insert ALL the modules into Articles instead (NOT into Page Layouts) or they won't pick up on each other - sorry, I should have made that clearer.

I also have tried forwarding an email
    I'd never thought of trying that!
    Before I can think about this, I need to know a reason why someone would NEED to do this (ie: forward rather than send).
    Its a bit of work - so I'd need a good reason. I notice it exposes the [security code] as well in the Original Message Subject.

Would it be possible to encrypt the password of the email as md5, I do not like to have this info in clear in the db.
    Not really, see below

Can you tell me more on security, by using this module on production?
    If you are worried about the security of who can post - then you can use the [security code] plus whitelist in the setup of each blog to restrict posting to certain email addresses - and/or set a start/stop date for posts
    If you are worried about the security of what they can post - then you can moderate the posts instead of autopublishing them.

New user

Hi Ramjet

Forwarding
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjet
    Before I can think about this, I need to know a reason why someone would NEED to do this (ie: forward rather than send).
    Forwarding a previously sent email to the blog, (when you first forget to add the security code, we are all humans!!),
    another secenario could be: to get an email with attachment on a device, it is easier to forward than to extract the content and resend. (It is not a need , your module does work like it is).

Its a bit of work - so I'd need a good reason. I notice it exposes the [security code] as well in the Original Message Subject.
    Yes, I think it would be good to regex the message body to remove any ocurrence of "[securitycode]" and any email address if it matches the publication email address . I will have a look to the code in the next days (I had no time yet), I would submit you any code modification per pm.

If you are worried about the security of who can post - then you can use the [security code] plus whitelist in the setup of each blog to restrict posting to certain email addresses - and/or set a start/stop date for posts
    I have all the options selected, I would also redefine the security code itself regulary, with this it should be fine.

Thanks for the great job !!!

Rémi

Experienced user

Hi Remi, I've thought about your requests a bit.
    No and no! (but feel free to adjust for your own needs)
    MD5 - unnecessary in my opinion ( and personally I want to see the Security Codes in plain text in the backend so as to remember them)
    Regex on email Forward - its easy enough for the forwarder to remove the "FW:" from the subject and the "Original Message" block from the email body before sending the Forwarded email. A regex to remove the email address and security code would dissallow anyone from "blogging" these if they wanted to (ie: to blog that you allow "open" posts to the blog).

Did you try all three modules as Content Elements in Articles - instead of putting in Page Layout? (I ask cause you're the test bunny! No-one else has used this module).

Also I'd love to see how you end up styling it if thats possible.
    Cheers.

Experienced user

I've updated the download zip file in the first post.

This one fixes the save-and-edit problem, adds Mailbox encryption settings options (notls/ssl/novalidate-cert) to Settings (so its now the same system as the Email Upload http://www.contao-community.org/view...php?f=9&t=2925 module), expands the listings of only the blogs with descriptions and the entries with attachments, and adds direct editing (replacement) of the attachments from their thumbnails in the entry listings (all backend modifications)

I've also changed the content of the emails that can be sent to the Entry Poster, Blog Moderator and Super Moderator, and also the look of the Poll mailbox report.

If you are replacing the module, run contao/install.php tool to update the database, and also resave Settings so that encryption is added (as the connection string has changed).

New user

Hi Murray

Beta testing news

I have updated the module today, it works fine but I could not do the following:

I still can not use any of the lists template.
    I have created a module, this module is inserted in the article but I get the same results commented previously (only the blog module works for me - contao-2.9.5).
    by creating a list module, the option: "Pair With an Email Blog Module" is blank (-), is this normal, I have only one blog created?

I will style the module as soon as I can get the list working, thanks for the commented css at the bottom of the module code, it helps.

-----

I am still trying to publish to the blog from my regular email account from my mac, with Mail app.
    It works, but the attachment is rejected see below:

Total Attachments [1]
    Rejected Attachments [1]
    - 0644 - Filetype [0644] not permitted

however from gmail (from gmail website) sending exactly the same email, it works:
    Total Attachments [1]
    Accepted Attachments [1]
    - Master.jpg [407684 bytes]

I cannot figure why, I removed any email signature and any formatting to be sure not to have strange formatting.

Could I debbug the Pollmailbox.php to view the output of the email header and attachment?

I plan to use it in production and my clients are using mac, so any help would be good.

Best

Rémi

Experienced user

After you create an Email Blog Module in Themes::Modules, the "Pair With an Email Blog Module" dropdown in the Themes::Modules::Email Blog List and Themes::Modules:Email Blog EntryList modules should populate with the Email Blog Module name, and let you select it.
    This is how the List and EntryList modules know which Blog module they relate to.

If it is possible, pm me your sites admin login and i'll take a look at your setup.

I'll see what I can find out about the way Mac Mail formats attachments, but I'm too busy this week to do it.
    It appears imap_fetchstructure() in Pollmailbox.php cannot pick up on the name/filetype of Mac attachments (your example is saying there is an attachment, but it has no name and its filetype is 0644 (which sounds like a chmod permission!)

This is the part thats failing
    Code:
    //get the attachment type from the filename  - explode -last chunk
    $filetype = explode('.',$att[$k]->parameters[0]->value);
    $countfiletype = count($filetype);
    $filetype = $filetype[$countfiletype - 1]; // eg .jpg
    $filename = $att[$k]->parameters[0]->value;

Experienced user

i've been wanting to build something similar, but the pop imap stuff was getting me down.

I'm going to adapt this, because I don't understand why you built your own modules, why not simply integrate the poller to grab the story and post it as NEWS in an archive. You could then effectively move all the blog settings to a news archive, e.g. each archive could be a different mailbox/blogger who posts. Then we can use all the existing functions of news like comments, tags, etc.

Experienced user

I'm going to adapt this
    Feel free to, just be aware it is not working for emails sent from Mac Mail as yet, as Remi has discovered.
    Hopefully I'll find a solution to this soon, but I can't look just at the moment.

I don't understand why you built your own modules
    This was originally an adaptation/fusion of another module I made called Email Uploader and an existing one called Logbook (which required a Perl script set up to function), and kind of just evolved into this via another I made which interfaces with Google Earth.

I've not used News, and don't know much about it.

It may be possible to add a "Use With News/Use as Standalone" switch into each Blog's Settings of this one to redirect the INSERTs to a News field/table????
    The Images are already stored in whatever folder you want per Blog.
    I'm not sure how the Images would be formatted into a News post.

But anyway, use whatever code you need to.

Experienced user

Remi (or anyone), try this one below with Mac Mail.
    Unfortunately its hard for me to test owing to no Mac, but I think Mac attachments may only use dparameters, so try this version.
    If it doesn't work just post the accepted/rejected attachments lines (from the report or acknowledgement email) here, or any other error messages.
    I also fixed a bug I introduced last time where no email subject caused no actual uploading of the attachment (even though it was reported as uploaded)

Re the modules - are you sure you have ALL modules in Content Elements in Articles (NONE in page layout)? And the 'Pair With' fields in the Listers offer you no choice of Blog Module selection?

EDIT 15 April 2012 : attachment removed pending tests on e_up module to solve Mac Mail Issue (cause I don't think solution in this one works)

Experienced user

Now in Repository
    Repository: http://www.contao.org/en/extension-l...000009.en.html
    Support thread: http://www.contao-community.org/view...hp?f=21&t=4071

Issues with Mac and list/entrylist fixed.