Thread: Members managing : a Contao's lack ?

User

Default Members managing : a Contao's lack ?

Hello,

For one site I've made with Contao one year ago, I have now to add a private part only viewable by registered members.

But as far as I have searched for days in repository or in forums, it seems that it's not possible for an administrator to create manually or by import a new member, generate automatically a password and then automatically send him an email to inform him with username and password.

Please, let me know that a solution does exist or I'll have to find another CMS for this site.

A desesperate Contao lover ;-)

Default Re: Members managing : a Contao's lack ?

Hi,

An administrator can create manually member from "Account Manager" => "Member".
    Rests aren't included in Contao core, but could be as an extension (or there might be already such an extension).

• Import new members from CSV?[/*:m:1kl96dnw]
    • Generate automatically password for new member.[/*:m:1kl96dnw]
    • Email user name and password to newly created member.[/*:m:1kl96dnw]

Best regards.
    --
    Takahiro Kambe

User

Hi charled,

I developed a (commercial) extension that can be suitable for your needs, please contact me through pm for more informations.
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it

User

Thanks Taca,

I know that all. I've looked for such extensions but it seems they don't exist.
    For importing users, there is Frontenduserimport or xtmembers_outlook
    I couldn't find an extension for generating password.
    I couldn't find an extension for automatically sending a confirmation email when creating and/or activating an account.

I'm surprised as it is a standard feature in every system when creating accounts. This should be a core module.

Experienced user

See http://www.contao.org/extension-list/co ... ation.html for some helpful extensions.

registration_info_mailer in particular is worth a look -- I haven't tried it, however, so I'm not sure if it works when a member is created in the backend or just the frontend.

If you don't want to invest in Ga.N's commercial extension (and his stuff is pretty awesome), the 2 things you want to do is actually not terribly difficult -- you don't really need to install extensions, you just need a little bit of coding (not much).

For the password, you can tie into the member password field using a "load_callback". If the value is empty, you can generate a random one instead.

Then for the confirmation email, you can maybe use an "onsubmit_callback" -- check if a confirmation email has already been sent (maybe by adding a field in the members table), and then generating a new email if it hasn't. Contao even provides a very convenient library class to compose and send emails.

If you haven't done something like this before, it's actually not that difficult and loads of fun when it finally starts making sense to you (which it did for me only very recently -- I'm not really a developer). If you're a "Contao Lover", it's something you gotta invest some time into learning, because it's so worth it and opens up completely new doors for your projects and will give you a whole new level of appreciation for how much this CMS rules.
    Brian

User

Thanks Medianomaly,

I've still found all this extensions but none does exactly what I need (even when combining them).

I'm in touch with ga.n by mp and mail. You're right, his extension seems very interesting as it could solve two problems at one time :
    - creating the password is done by member himself ; that is simpler ;
    - informing him by mail.

Sure, it could be great if I could learn developing functions with all what Contao offers. But I 'm not a developer, I don't know php and I have no time for that. I hope sometimes…