Thread: Imported template incorrect layout

New user

Default Imported template incorrect layout

Hi!

Just installed Contao for the first time with demo data. Also imported the free k003 theme ("Without Fences"). After that I changed the layout of the home page to "Without Fences" default. Unfortunately the layout is not fully correct. Please see in the screenshot what I mean.

Could someone please tell me what is wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks!!!!

Gerske

Default Re: Imported template incorrect layout

Hi gerske,

what means it is "not fully correct"? How did you do the theme switch?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Hi!

I went to layout / site structure and edited the home page by "assigning a layout" to it. I changed it to the Without Fences default layout.

This is how it should like: http://demo-k0003.contao-theme.de/

Ah, I see that you have edited your start post in the meantime and that you have attached a screenshot. Since you have also removed the link, I cannot inspect the problem in detail.
    → Support options

New user

Hi xchs,

The reason that I removed the link is that the URL is not resolved yet to the new ip. It will be assigned to my new ip soon. I can give you the direct ip adres (46.21.172.161/~cocsf ), but unfortunately my host has switched this option off. I have changed my host file to work around this problem for my self, so that I can work on the site, while the URL is not resolved yet.

For you I have downloaded the home page with the small layout problem. Hope that this will help!

Thanks,
    Gerske

New user

BTW: I have the same problem with other templates. When I use k0001 (Fruitmedia) the layout is also not correct (please see screenshot attached). Maybe that the templates are from 2010 and that I have the newest Contao version, that the versions are not compatible?

If I can't get it to work correctly, I will give Concrete5 a try. But I would prefer to get the default demo Contao with a template working!

Regards
    Gerson

Quote Originally Posted by gerske
    Maybe that the templates are from 2010 and that I have the newest Contao version, that the versions are not compatible?
    Yes, that might actually be the case.

I haven't checked your layout, but look at the respective "Page layout" and make sure that the checkboxes for "Add page header" and "Add page footer" are ticked (the latter of course only if the layout has a footer)

Usually, you have to install a Contao theme always into the right version in which the theme was created before. After that, you can perform the system update to a recent version.
    → Support options

New user

Thank you. Both boxes are ticked. And I also tried an old version and upgraded later, didn't work either. So, I will check out Concrete5 first now. Thank for your help!

Gerkse

You may also want to check whether all the style sheets are included in the "Page layout". It looks like there are still missing the CSS format definitions for the navigation / header etc.

Anyway, as a web master you should be familiar with addons like Firebug or some built-in browser tools to inspect the HTML markup and the applied style sheet rules.

Good luck.
    → Support options

Ah, and what I have forgotten to mention:

Go to "Layout" > "Themes" > edit the (default) page layouts of theme xx > section "Expert settings" > "Output format"

There you should switch to the option "XHTML Strict"!
    → Support options

Experienced user

Between when that theme was made and now CSS files where moved from the root folder to /system/script (I think I saw them moved again in Contao 3) This means that all paths in CSS starting with "tl_files" can best be changed to "/tl_files". However, I know that the importer knows where the files dir is, so perhaps a new feature could be to check for older templates. (I added a feature request for that: https://github.com/contao/core/issues/4279) You can fix that by going through the CSS definitions.

The second thing that was wrong is one setting that got missing on the import, not sure why. Perhaps the database also changed slightly? In any case: for selector "#header .mod_navigation li" add display: inline;

After that all seemed to be ok here....

New user

Thank you both very much for all the help. It is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gerske