Thread: templateSelection Extension - Can't get it to work

User

Default templateSelection Extension - Can't get it to work

I've installed the templateSelection extension, which shows in the repository screenshot the ability to define multiple templates for mobile browsers etc. The screenshot shows a window that allows the user to define individual templates etc.

I've looked high and low in "Settings", in the Templates area, I've check page Layouts, etc. and I can't seem to find out where the "templateSelection" can be defined.

Does anyone have any experience with this extension? Documentation on it is basically non-existent other than the screenshot. Right now I suspect that it is NOT working even thought it is correctly installed in the Extension Manager and appears to be "up to date".

Any comments would be appreciated or a suggestion as to another extension that might actually "work".

Ernest McDermon
    Atlanta, GA

User

Default Re: templateSelection Extension - Appears to be working

Okay there has been an update posted for this extension. You should delete the outdated version and reinstall to pick up on install a dependency extension (the update did not pickup the dependency). templateSelection now also installs

agentSelection (Indentify agents. Helper class to identify the browser and operating systems. Read the f*****g code!
    Nice...perhaps the developer could simply write a 5 - 7 paragraph HTML "manual" for his/her extension instead of having to rely on not-well-documented code?

Here's the new screen shot (the one with the extension is outdated):

[attachment=0:2t86lwaa]template_selection_screenshot.jpg[/attachment:2t86lwaa]

To find this new feature go to Site Structure --> and then edit the individual page there. The template selection also appears in the root of the website as well as on the initial page and all other pages in the site. Since there is no other documentation I'm not sure if its best to do this at the root, home page, etc. More to follow after some experimentation unless this august body has some thoughts here.

My guess is that, with better documentation, this will be a useful extension and could save having to use custom redirects for various operating systems.

Hope this helps, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

New user

Default Re: templateSelection Extension - Can't get it to work

Hi ernestmcd,

the extension was done by me and my team. Please excuse the poor documentation AND my very poor english. Do you still have problems with the extension or criticize generally the poor documentation?

The documentation we will be expanding soon, not just for this extension. I promise. If you have specific problems with the extension, please contact me. I'll try to help you. In future we want to provide more aid to the english community - but you have to give us some time.

If you find errors, please do not hesitate to write a ticket. Also in english, even if the tickets are in german so far:

https://github.com/menatwork/templateSelection