Thread: A gallery of catalog records

User

Default A gallery of catalog records

Hello,
    I have a catalog with a mandatory image field, therefore every element in the catalog has got a related picture (at least). I want the customer to be able to know if an item of the catalog has already been inserted, and the only way he can do that (at least until the inventory will be completed) is by browsing the images.
    I was wondering if there's a way, using maybe more than one extension, to show a gallery of the images related to catalog items, with a link to the item details view itself.

Should I build a page picking the informations from the database (and how?) or is there a way to achieve that using only existing catalog extensions?

Thank you in advance
    --
    Marco
    ---------
    Triste e' l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

Default Re: A gallery of catalog records

Hmm you will have an List of all Items in the Catalog? Ore what do you want? A list of all Images?
    All this can be done with the List-Module...
    When the image is an extra catalog you can try to use the module 'catalog-related' i think?

I don't know what you mean with 'I want the customer to be able to know if an item of the catalog has already been inserted'...

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr
    For real-time chat the (inofficial) Chatroom in IRC:
    -> irc.freenode.net #contao | irc.freenode.net #contao.de

User

Hello MacKP,
    I managed to achieve this with a List view, as you suggested. It works, sure.
    What I'm missing here is the possibility to arrange items in a grid way, like a gallery.
    What I get by now is something like this but I'd like to get something like this. The reason is simple: the user is able to recognize which items have already been inserted only looking at the photos, so I want him to be able to see as many items as possible at a glance.

This is something I can't manage to reproduce (by now) with the List view. Do yo suggest me to create a new template by copying it from the List one and change it to create a grid?

Thank you
    --
    Marco
    ---------
    Triste e' l'uomo
    che ama le cose

I always make my own templates for the catalog. I love it for that ^^
    So it would work for you with changing the Template i think. But also do it with CSS. You can float all items and have them in a row if you wish to.

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr

User

Hello MacKP,
    I took a look at Leo Feyer's video about templating and it's very fascinating! Creating a new template seems very very easy now that I've been digging into Contao for a while!

What I don't understand is if this is the kind of templating you were talking about: do you think it would be a good idea to create a whole website custom template just to change the appearance of catalog items or is there a way to create new templates just for catalog? I think it's this second one, but I don't get which files I should change. Maybe the ones in system/modules/catalog/templates?

Thank you
    --
    Marco
    ---------
    Triste e' l'uomo
    che ama le cose

You will not need to do a full custom Template of all things in Contao. Only the Catalog templates (for this).

The original files are in /system/modules/catalog/templates. But don't edit them. Copy them to /templates in the Contao root.
    There you can work with them. In all Frontend-Modules of the catalog you can change the template it uses.

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr