Thread: Sort (sorting) news

User

Default Sort (sorting) news

When entering a news item in the backend, it automatically sorts on date. Newest date first.

Is it possible to sort the items manually? Like article elements?

New user

Default Re: Sort (sorting) news

Hi,

The news of Contao module is super extensive and excellent. You can do almost anything.

I recommend creating a new module news list and make visible only the highlights. That way you can publish only the news that interests you.
    Consultor y Formador SEO
    http://www.seosemprofesional.com

User

Thanks for your answer! But I am not quite sure what you mean...

Yes I can show only highlighted news items by enabling this in the newslist, but how does this change the order of showing/sorting? I still cannot sort the items on anything else than filled out date.

Thing is, I am using the news module not as a news module. I am using it to show employees. Would be nice if i could order randomly, or alphabetically.

I think this task could be done better using the XtMembers extension from https://contao.org/en/extension-list/vi ... rs.en.html.

Provides everything you need for employee data, including the ability of creating your own SQL statements like ASC, DESC or RND for filtering or sorting.

Maybe a better way rather than hacking the news module for your purposes.

User

The news module is an excellent module. It has al the features I want.

The only thing is the sorting.... is there really no way to sort by hand / choice?
    Maybe someone out there who can fix it for me? Or explain me how to do it? I am willing to pay for proper adjustments.

User

Nobody any good tips?

User

Quote Originally Posted by lostrisq View Post
    Nobody any good tips?
    I have the same needs: how did you solve?

User

Hi,

The problem is News aren't the good module for your need. It is for news so for information sorted by date.
    If you know php, you can try too change it modifying mod_newslist model.

Other way, Contao is first made to create articles with content elements. You can create your list manually in the right article. If you want to create a specific content element with specific fields, you can use dma_elementgenerator.

And I you need the visitors to be able to sort or search into your list in the frontend, use MetaModels. A bit more complex to learn but far away more powerful.

Hope this helps.