Thread: Upgrade Issues Converting 2.11.7 to 3.0.3

User

Default Upgrade Issues Converting 2.11.7 to 3.0.3

I've tried two different updates to convert a test site on a development platform from Contao 2.11.7 to 3.0.3 both times without success following the Update Guide and several posts in the Forum with tips on how to do this.

Here are some the issues that I'm seeing when attempting the upgrades that lead me to believe that for anything other than a very basic Contao website, there may not be a path forward other than rebuilding the site from the ground up if we're using the current install package for the upgrade.

1. Admin User Password - it doesn't seem to hold after the upgrade. I've identified an issue that the update from v2.11.7 to v3.0.3 failed to change the tl_user/password field from VARCHAR 64 to VARCHAR 128 which results in a truncated password encryption. The encryption change to SHA1 also seems to throw the password off after the update. Consistently, after I logged in one time and then logged out, I was not able to log back in. I found a post online that suggested using a standard encryption reset to "reset123" and then changing the password, but there were still issues with it holding the Admin User password.

2. The modified "Tristan Script" seemed to work to change links from "tl_files" to "files" but after the update, the graphics theme was totally broken. Images were there, but it looks like the css is not converted over with the script, so that has to be handled manually in the layouts and templates.

3. Advice is provided to "purge all pre-existing resources" and then replace them with current versions of extensions and plugins (now "assets"). If I remove all extensions, and delete them from the database using the update utility, then it looks like I'm back at square one with the site, as any modifications or use of modules etc. would be obliterated in the database. One of the forum tips suggested to NOT delete any fields or tables until after the update was run, and slowly copy in Contao v3.0.x extensions into the system/modules folder, run the install again, and "pray" that you didn't have problems.

Okay that's probably good advice, but if the upgrade path is challenged with great peril, would it not be easier and less time consuming to simply rebuild the site?

4. Information about the update to Contao 3.0.3 mentions that there could be 1 - 4 "steps" involved in updating the database. Steps 1 and 2 worked fine, but step 3 left several fields that needed to be updated:

Code:
    ALTER TABLE `tl_member` CHANGE `autologin` `autologin` varchar(32) NULL default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE `tl_user` CHANGE `password` `password` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '';
    ALTER TABLE `tl_calendar_events` CHANGE `startTime` `startTime` int(10) unsigned NULL default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE `tl_calendar_events` CHANGE `endTime` `endTime` int(10) unsigned NULL default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE `tl_calendar_events` CHANGE `startDate` `startDate` int(10) unsigned NULL default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE `tl_calendar_events` CHANGE `endDate` `endDate` int(10) unsigned NULL default NULL;
    I realized that I had left the "plugins" folder in the root (I don't believe that there is an instruction to remove the plugins folder since that is now "assets". Once the "plugins" folder was deleted from the root, and I ran the install routine again, the install posted a change to update the tl_user/password field to VARCHAR 128 (which I already done manually in PHP MyAdmin). It still left fields remaining to be changed out however.

5. I hope that some of you have some ideas about how to process these upgrades smoothly, but from what I'm seeing at this point, its may well be easier to rebuild the site. If anybody any tips or suggestions, I would be very interested in hearing them.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

User

Default No Joy: Upgrade Issues Converting 2.11.7 to 3.0.3

Okay, I've been working through my first upgrade from Contao 2.11.7 to Contao 3.0.3. I now believe that it is not economically possible to complete an upgrade of this complexity on a production Contao website. I believe that for my client base, I'm looking at complete rebuilds to update their websites to the version 3 series of Contao.

Some of the issues that I'm seeing:

1.Extensions that I had used like "ce_wrap" which have "start" radio button for the beginning of a wrapper division, and a "stop" for the end of the wrapper division, after the upgrade ot the Contao 3 flavor of the extension and the platform from 2.11.7 to 3.0.3, have to be individually edited to reactivate the wrapper element in the article tree. None of the settings held in the upgrade process and a lot of the extensions are simply "blank" in the article.

2. Manually deleting extensions from the extension repository that will not work with Contao 3, leaves issues when after upgrade trying to delete them from the Extension Repository. The install tool in Contao doesn't remove legacy extensions that remain in the database when they are no longer in the system/modules folder. This is probably a minor "bug" in the new install tool that could be fixed with code, but to manually uninstall the old extensions from the Repository is not economically feasible in a production environment.

3. Part of my "learning curve" on the update process has taken me several attempts to do the first upgrade. I've spent time trying to understand the update process, learn from tips I'm seeing in the forum, but so far, the things I've tried are going to leave me at a place where I will probably have rebuild the site anyway due what I'm beginning to see as the final result of the upgrade to Contao 3.x.

4. I have a clean install of Contao 3.0.3 with extensions ready to go and I'm going to reset my work here and go for a full rebuild of the site (its my own site) with only extensions approved and activated for Contao 3.x. I'll update this thread with an overview of the amount of work involved to rebuild versus trying to simply update the site to current version.

If you have any thoughts or experience on this issue, please share them.

Ernest McDermon, Snellville GA

User

Default Re: Upgrade Issues Converting 2.11.7 to 3.0.3

I'm making progress on updating a new version of my website with Contao 3.0.3. Going the rebuild routed seems to be easier for me than making multiple failed attempts at upgrading from Contao 2.11.7 to 3.0.3. Some interesting things I'm seeing:

1. By doing a clean install of Contao 3.0.3 and bringing in my standard block of extensions, issues with the Admin User password have gone away.

2. I'm taking the effort to convert my existing theme to a responsive design as part of this process.

3. Attempts to import a Contao theme file (.cto) file did not work until I opened the .cto file in WinZip, and then loaded the "theme.xml" file in Dreamweaver CS6, and executed the following search and replace:

"tl_files/" replaced by "files/" (required by the Contao 3.x name space changes.

The .cto import then proceeded properly, and a screen came up prompting me to designate the folder location for the template files.

4. There is a "tristan" script that is supposed to handle renaming of files in the manner above, but it doesn't do anything to assist with importing a different .cto theme file after install of Contao 3.x.

I'll update this thread with any other tips that might prove helpful to others as I make further progress (in between paid work) on converting my website.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

User

Default Re: Upgrade Issues Converting 2.11.7 to 3.0.3

I've been rebuilding my website in Contao 3.0.3, but when I applied an update from v3.0.3 to v3.0.4 I ran into multiple errors on the upgrade. Details of what I ran into are in this thread:

http://<br /> <a href="https://commu...6067</a><br />

Is anybody else seeing any issues with upgrades from v2.11 to v3.x, or has anybody attempted an upgrade from v3.0.3 to v3.0.4?

User

Hm ...

time to trigger this post again.
    I am finally ready to switch over to Contao 3 but have BIG problems with this.
    Since Ernest is the only responder to this (his own) post, it looks like there is not enough attention on 2.x to 3.x conversions.

Before trying to convert my complete site, including Isotope webshop, I was planning to setup a test-site to test with.
    So I imported my Contao theme from 2.11 into 3.4 but this already fails.

- References to images in tl_files/themes/Theme are not automatically converted into files/themes/Theme
    - Contao 2.11 had one radio selection for additional left/right/header/footer columns but 3.4 has separate settings for this and this is not automatically converted. This means I have to check this for all the pages in my theme ...
    - All modules in a page are disabled by default (this is new in 3.x, there was no way to have disabled "included modules" in 2.11) so again, I have to check all modules on all pages in my theme ...

After this I am still faced with a page layout which is different from what I used to have.
    Has there been any testing on 2.x to 3.x upgrades regarding theme use?
    I have 10+ websites for different customers and I do not like to convert everything by hand.

Rob

Not easy to find, but if you google this "contao update to 3 site:contao.org/en" you will find some usefull infos. e.g.

https://contao.org/en/news/contao-3_0_0.html
    https://community.contao.org/en/show...-Contao-2-gt-3

In a normal installation you don't have to check each page, only the layout.
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist