Thread: SOLVED - Upgrade to v3.0.4 Fails on Clean Install v3.0.3

User

Default SOLVED - Upgrade to v3.0.4 Fails on Clean Install v3.0.3

Good News - Per Leo, v3.0.5 clears the error up. I just downloaded the new core package files, and was able to complete an upgrade from Contao v3.0.3 to Contao 3.0.5. Do not attempt to install v3.0.4. Language files are now working properly, everything in the upgrade seemed to go smoothly. Thanks Leo and the entire team at Contao!

Okay, this is a follow up on the two threads I submitted earlier about being unable to complete a routine upgrade from v3.0.3 to v3.0.4. I just did an experiment where I installed a clean version (no extensions, templates, etc.) of 3.0.3 and then applied the upgrade to v3.0.4.

Current check of the Linux server we're on using the current release of Contao Check utility shows "Green" for installs of 2.11.x and 3.x

Same issues I reported in two earlier threads are there, here are screenshots and error log entry:

[attachment=2:2k5jjfb7]contao_3.0.4_install_1.jpg[/attachment:2k5jjfb7]

[attachment=1:2k5jjfb7]contao_3.0.4_install_2.jpg[/attachment:2k5jjfb7]

[attachment=0:2k5jjfb7]contao_3.0.4_install_3.jpg[/attachment:2k5jjfb7]

ERROR LOGS:

Same error line codes as yesterday, lines 194-197 BackendTemplate.php.

Code:
    [17-Feb-2013 15:28:38] 
    PHP Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php on line 194
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'implode() [<a h...', '/home/wavedev5/...', 194, Array)
    #1 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(194): implode('","', NULL)
    #2 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/templates/be_main.html5(38): Contao\BackendTemplate->getDateString()
    #3 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/library/Contao/Template.php(255): include('/home/wavedev5/...')
    #4 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(37): Contao\Template->parse()
    #5 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(139): Contao\BackendTemplate->parse()
    #6 /home/wavedev5/public_html/contao/main.php(310): Contao\BackendTemplate->output()
    #7 /home/wavedev5/public_html/contao/main.php(125): Main->output()
    #8 /home/wavedev5/public_html/contao/main.php(319): Main->run()
    #9 {main}

PHP Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php on line 195
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'implode() [<a h...', '/home/wavedev5/...', 195, Array)
    #1 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(195): implode('","', NULL)
    #2 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/templates/be_main.html5(38): Contao\BackendTemplate->getDateString()
    #3 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/library/Contao/Template.php(255): include('/home/wavedev5/...')
    #4 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(37): Contao\Template->parse()
    #5 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(139): Contao\BackendTemplate->parse()
    #6 /home/wavedev5/public_html/contao/main.php(310): Contao\BackendTemplate->output()
    #9 {main}

PHP Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php on line 196
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'implode() [<a h...', '/home/wavedev5/...', 196, Array)
    #1 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(196): implode('","', NULL)
    #9 {main}

PHP Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php on line 197
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'implode() [<a h...', '/home/wavedev5/...', 197, Array)
    #1 /home/wavedev5/public_html/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(197): implode('","', NULL)
    #9 {main}

User

Default Re: Upgrade to v3.0.4 Fails on Clean Install v3.0.3

Some additional screenshots of what I'm seeing

[attachment=2:vdg0dtka]contao_3.0.4_install_4.jpg[/attachment:vdg0dtka]

[attachment=1:vdg0dtka]contao_3.0.4_install_5.jpg[/attachment:vdg0dtka]

[attachment=0:vdg0dtka]contao_3.0.4_install_7.jpg[/attachment:vdg0dtka]

New user

Hey there,

I replied to your other thread confirming this problem. Odd, it looks like my reply is gone?

-Josh
    Installatron provides one click Contao installations and upgrades. Check us out: http://installatron.com/contao

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

You are obviously missing the language files. Which language did you choose?

Did you clear the cache after the update? What exactly do you mean by "and then applied the upgrade to v3.0.4"? Did you manually upgrade or did you use the Live Update?

New user

I'm having the same issue with contao 3.0.4. Made the install from scratch and the English labels aren't showing. The same warning (error?) in the Backend Template on line 197.

Code:
    PHP Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php on line 197
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'implode() [<a h...', '/home/touma/pub...', 197, Array)
    #1 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(197): implode('","', NULL)
    #2 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/templates/be_main.html5(38): Contao\BackendTemplate->getDateString()
    #3 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/library/Contao/Template.php(255): include('/home/touma/pub...')
    #4 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(37): Contao\Template->parse()
    #5 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(139): Contao\BackendTemplate->parse()
    #6 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/contao/main.php(310): Contao\BackendTemplate->output()
    #7 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/contao/main.php(125): Main->output()
    #8 /home/touma/public_html/clientes/viva/contao/main.php(319): Main->run()
    #9 {main}

User

Hi Leo!

Good to hear from you again. Manual install, manual upgrade following instructions on the wiki. I've doing these upgrades using various versions of TypoLIght and Contao for several years now. I really like the product, and my objective is to simply report what I'm seeing (as a journeyman user/web developer for Contao).

I've done this upgrade "manually" more than once, first time on a development site with root set and one page activated with Language set to "en", fallback to that language "checked" and using the standard English core download package for the initial install at 3.0.3.

At first I thought the issue (reported in two other threads over the last few days) might be the extensions, which is what caused me to run the experiment on a clean install of 3.0.3 and then upgrade to 3.0.4. The behavior on the development site was the same once I upgraded the site to v3.0.4, labels missing etc, no language (if that's the issue). I just rolled back the upgrade and reinstalled the backup database to v3.0.3. The test I'm reporting was conducted in a separate development domain folder on my server with an empty database.

Question: if I install Contao v3.0.3 on a clean basis, and the default language files are attached properly (which is the way I've come to expect both TypoLight and now the much improved Contao to behave), why would any default settings on the core 3.0.4 upgrade "decouple" the language files from the earlier install? They should still be set to the language that was indicated at install for the 3.0.3 core package, right? That would have been "en, de" as the defaults in the core.

Any input or suggestions you have here would be most appreciated. There is also one other response on the this thread reporting similar results from another Contao user.

I you want me to run another test, I'll be happy to do so if you let me know what settings you want me to apply after the install to 3.0.3 prior to applying the upgrade to 3.0.4. Again, this is a clean install, no template selected, no extensions ported in manually or after install, and using an empty database for the initial test install of 3.0.3 (worked fine) and then the update to v3.0.4.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

User

So reading this I dived in and also did an update via the excellent Live update.

All smoothly but I notice small things like there were a few Values missing on the buttons, it was just empty like images by Ernest. I then purged my temp files and script under Maintenance, then it became exactly like Ernest describes.

Even all the Menu names changed, 'Layout' became 'design', 'Templates' became 'tpl_editor' etc. So this was obviously a language file issue. I logged out and change my language to german, logged in and all seemed fine in german. Logged out and in, in english and most (but not all) was back to normal. What I found out was that in order to get my english language back I had to navigate the backend pages in a language that was anything apart from english, visit all the pages and then log out and in with english. Then those pages I visited was fixed. very strange, but it seems to work this way!

Apart from the Login backend page itself offcourse, that was missing a few words

Update: Now the Backend login text is back to normal. Note that on mine, only top level pages were effected, not pages within Site Structure or Articles.

Apologise for the terrible spelling and grammar, it was late....
    geung

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Did you validate your installation with the Contao check?

User

Hi Leo,
    No I haven't, so I downloaded the latest checker 6.1, just did it now, it says:
    Code:
    Version
    Found a Contao 3.0.4 installation.

Missing files
    assets/css/basic.css
    assets/css/default.css
    assets/css/mobile.css
    assets/css/print.css
    Your installation is not up to date.
    That's odd, anyway, uploaded the missing files and it verified fine. Though this has nothing to do with the language issues.
    geung

User

I'm having exactly the same issues with a fresh Contao 3.0.4 install. Missing labels, things not displaying properly etc. it looks the same as in the screenshots above.

User

Strangely enough I can confirm that switching to German, logging in then logging back out and switching to English before logging in again also resolved this for me, although I keep having to do it.

User

I just attempted a clean install of Contao 3.0.4 core into a development domain with an empty database. The license screen appears normally, but the next screen to enter the install password is blank (see below). I'm all done at that point and will remain in 3.0.3 for the time being.

Hopefully we'll see a repaired version of the core (3.0.5 ?) made available in the next day or two to clear out these issues.

[attachment=0:3ex0lupq]contao_3.0.4_install_8.jpg[/attachment:3ex0lupq]

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Which languages preferences did you configure in your web browser? You can look this up e.g. in Chrome in the advanced settings. Safari on Mac uses the OS language settings which you can look up in the system settings.

User

Good morning Leo!

I'm in the Atlanta area United States. All my browsers are default downloads from the browser source sites in English. I primarily use Firefox 18.0.2, default install has language set to English (United States). Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m also default install with English (United States) en-us is the browser setting. I don't ever change the language settings.

In my experience the browser language setting has never been an issue with doing a default core install (previously TypoLight and now Contao) downloaded from the Contao site in English through version 3.0.3. The first time I've seen the behavior that I (and others) are reporting in this thread is version 3.0.4 .

Best,

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA USA

User

Update: Out of curiosity, I changed the default language in Firefox to "English" by moving it up over "English (United States), cleared cache, and restarted the browser.

I went to the test site I have the 3.0.4 install loaded into, and the same issue occurs with blank buttons, no instructions. It looks just like the last screen shot I have posted showing the empty fields to enter the install password into the clean install for 3.0.4.

Hope this helps in your efforts to isolate the problem.

Best,

Ernie McDermon

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Meanwhile, there is a ticket for this issue: https://github.com/contao/core/issues/5384

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Please update to Contao 3.0.5.

User

Default Re: SOLVED - Upgrade to v3.0.4 Fails on Clean Install v3.0.3

Thanks Leo! I just downloaded the new core release and was able to upgrade a test install of Contao 3.0.3 with extensions to Contao 3.0.5. I've changed the title of this thread to indicate "solved" and have posted a note in the first block about the new core release.

All the best,

Ernest McDermon