Thread: C3 [favorites] Backend shortcut system

Experienced user

Default C3 [favorites] Backend shortcut system

Adds an easy way to creates shortcuts to BE urls

• Favorite system, where you can add/remove your module/table/id deep links to a favorites section, so you can work solely in that section, without having to switch between "Content" "Layout" and "System"[/*:m:y2uzza82]
    • Favorites can be locked, disabled per user and also can be set to use the first favorite as the new HOME landing point.[/*:m:y2uzza82]
    • Favorites support deep links, so you can favorite a single content element edit, e.g. Footer Copyright[/*:m:y2uzza82]
    • Favorites support external links for mailto: and also http: (with open in new window optional)[/*:m:y2uzza82]
    • Favorites supports custom icons, titles and labels per favorite (some standard icon table level deep links are defined, but can be customised using config.php strings, if you prefer not to touch the entries)[/*:m:y2uzza82]

https://contao.org/en/extension-list/vi ... es.en.html

[attachment=0:y2uzza82]favorites.jpg[/attachment:y2uzza82]

User

Default Re: C3 [favorites] Backend shortcut system

I like the Favorites extension, this has much potential and it looks like it works well with the "Smart Backend Theme" and M17 Sticky Footer. One minor "bug" and a suggestion:

1. When adding a link in to the Favorites, the stock icons associated with the link don't always appear in the Favorites, even though they are present elsewhere on the backend navigation list. Example is when I add Data Backup, Events and Extension Manager in Contao 3.0.6 to the Favorites, the icons for these links don't appear.

If I load the correct icon into the File Manager, and then try to use that icon to be displayed as the missing icon, it doesn't work either. Not sure about this, but it seems that selecting a custom icon doesn't work. I would expect that if a custom icon is selected from the Files Manager, and the Files have been "synchronized" that the icon should be visible.

2. SUGGESTION: This extension would be a good place to put custom links in to point to customer oriented links for help and training links like:

Contao User Manual
    Contao Forum
    Conact Support
    Help & Tips
    Video Tutorials

When I place the links in, they work but there is no way to get the link to open in a new tab, it simply opens in the current window. Could you add in a checkbox to "Open Link in New Window" similar to the way Contao has a setting to allow users to open a page or image link in a new window if desired?

Thanks in advance,

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

Experienced user

Hi ernestmcd

1. You did nothing wrong. It was a bug. I've uploaded the correction. You will have to remove the favorites and re-add them. Try the broken ones first and you'll see it works now.

2. Unfortunately leo's be_main.html5 doesn't have the ability to add a target blank to open in a new window. I don't want to modify the default template unnecessarily, as there isn't a BE template override per theme either, and there isn't a template for the "be_navigation". This also means that even if you add a new section called HELP (like favorites), there isn't an easy way to add a pop-up link to the nav menu.

Hope that helps

New user

Hello,

use C 3.1 and your last nice Extension "favorites". Thx for this!

One Problem: I create two URL and only one is shown under the Favorites Tab in back-end. Contaos intern Targets working perfect. Only extern Targets make this Problem. It seams the target Needs the "?do=" in Url string. I can add ONE external URL without Problems - if i add a second one only one was listed! (And the mouseover text is not shown)

Can you check this and probably have an fix?

thx Marco

Experienced user

EDIT: see below instead.

You cannot use the Favorite system for external URLs. It was designed to be used with the internal URLs only. I check the URL for hierarchy, so that if a URL is a deeper Table url in News Entry, it checks if News is a favorite and highlights that instead.

Also, the Favorite interception of the BE system, cannot generate URL's with -- target="_blank" -- to pop-up in a new window.

Experienced user

I believe I have solved a number of people's requests.
    • Added Open in New Window, small icon indicator[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Prevent external URLs like http:, mailto: from being parsed[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Added new external target URL icon to "manage" screen[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Added a configurable option per user to show external link URL image (after label)[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Fixed title not working on custom links[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Fixed icon override correctly[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Added default redirect icon for external links[/*:m:320v0s6e]
    • Fixed problems with new referer linking (ref=xxx)[/*:m:320v0s6e]

That should make "ernestmcd" happy as well well you "marcox"

You can update the extension and you can now have these links.

PS. With a bit more development, I think I can do multiple groups too, e.g. Favorites, Help, etc.

New user

Hi & Many thanks for this work! Only one Problem i have: If i click to an favorite ext. link, window open in new correct but in contao (3.1) backend it leaves an white page with the word [object] only not the backend page. Perhaps yo can fix this, too? Gracias Marco

Experienced user

I have tested this on Chrome and Safari, so it's a Firefox problem. I'm not sure I'll be able to solve it, because this is a browser behaviour, and I don't have access to the onclick of the link in the BE system.

New user

Yes in Firefox [object windows] came and in IE [object].... in Safari i confirm backend Show correct! Perhaps you find an solution...... M.

New user

perhaps you can try to open in new Windows with this code: javascript:void(window.open(......... ???

Experienced user

Its ok. It only didn't work on Firefox (and probably IE, which I can't test).

I've fixed the problem. You can update and it will be fixed. I've also had to adjust my zlargeicons and ztoptab themes to accommodate the changes.

I simply sneaked it into the icon style="" as an onclick handler, which is probably the best way to go.

New user

I have allowed to Change the line for a test in Favorites.php to $href = "javascript:void window.open('".urlencode($objFav->href)."')";

Now Firefox is o.k.
    IE is o.k.
    Safari and Chrom, too! So perhaps you can update your code and IE & Firefox user will be lucky, too :-)

Many thanks Marco

New user

o.k. thx