Thread: Do you use Contao 3 or Contao 2.11 for production sites.

Default Do you use Contao 3 or Contao 2.11 for production sites.

I am using only Contao 2.11 series for our clients. Though Contao 3 has many cool features, but I think it will give away. The seemingly coolest feature, DB filesystem, is the one that keeps me away from using it. On the other hand Contao 2.11 I think its rock solid. I wish there is choice in Contao 3 to go for DB assisted filesystem or like as it is in Contao<2.11.
    What about you?
    OM MANI PEME HUNG! how many has to die for freedom and dignity. Save this world

Experienced user

Default Re: Do you use Contao 3 or Contao 2.11 for production sites.

The DBFS is fine, except for your problem; large directories. I do have many moments were I think "do I really have to clear the cache to get this to work" (some cache features can be disabled during development) and sometimes the backend redirects without clear reason saying the target (some other Contao BE page) is unsafe.

But I use Contao 3 if I need no extensions that don't work on 3 yet (like Isotope)

@tsarma: You may want to take a look at the new features and DBAFS improvements shipped with the next minor version 3.1.0 (the release of the final version is planned for the next week)
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

Wow!
    The file picker now shows the file system instead of the database
    You can switch from the file picker to the file manager in the pop-up dialog
    The file picker automatically adds the selected resources to the database

This means that you do not have to manually synchronize the file system and the database anymore.
    Few seconds back I downloaded Contao 3.1.0, and It is really promising. Cool.

- Image insertion works well.
    - Gallery, when choosing a folder instead of individual files, needs 2nd time selection, but its OK.

Now, the time has come for me to upgrade all my modules. Thank you Contao Team. Lastly, do we need that synchronize button now! ;-)
    OM MANI PEME HUNG! how many has to die for freedom and dignity. Save this world

User

We still use 2.11. 3 has a lot of good features but we use the catalog module on pretty much all of our projects so until there is something similar on 3 then we will continue to use 2.11 for the next 6 months at least.

Ben
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

imported_Nina
    Gast

For new customers I use Contao 3 most of the time. They want to use all the cool new features

Contao 3 only The new features are very handy, the layout builder speeds up the design process and I can finally use the jQuery!
    Contao ambassador
    Codefog - Contao web development

User

I will soon be using Contao 3 and above as there will soon be the new version of the Catalog extension available. MetaModels has reached a funding goal to work on Conato 3.

You can help with donations here: http://now.metamodel.me/en/fundraising

Also Isotope has reached a fundraising goal to be made compatible with Contao 3: http://isotopeecommerce.org/en/
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

Experienced user

I've tried a (pre-) alpha build of metamodels. It will make it extremely easy to build custom catalogs for contao. And it supports multilingual catalogs as well...

But it its not as close to finishing as I read in the German forum they think they are. There is a lot Contao 2 code and some parts are very messy. (Not that I could do a better job).

I already use Contao 3 for any website that does not need a webshop or incompatible extensions. Chances are that by the time Contao 3 based customers want a new module added that it will be available for Contao 3 too...