Thread: ce-access module

User

Default ce-access module

I've added the ce-access 2.0.0 module to a Contao 2.11.11 install, but I'm not sure how the module works.

I assumed I could go to a content element and see a new checkbox for "Assign Access rights" (like you would for a site structure page). This would let you limit backend users to certain content elements, but I'm not seeing any field for this setting?

Am I missing something?

Experienced user

Default Re: ce-access module

No, ce-access limits access to content element types on a group (or user) basis. A content element is of a certain type and you can switch off those options. But not at the content element.

Look at user group settings and one of the first fields you will find to be the content elements where you choose to DISABLE content elements.

Honestly, to me the ce-access module works backwards to the way the rest of Contao works; you need to disable instead of enable.

There is also a bug; some global operations may appear to be missing for non-admin users if you have no ce-access fields chosen at all. I forgot the details, but observed the effect once and this extension was the problem. So for every user that is not admin; make sure to disable at least one content element type.

Experienced user

Excuse me, I see that the latest version 2.0.0 stable (finally) has the logic reversed; you must now ENABLE fields instead of disabling.

User

Ok, I understand now. The module gives/limits access to certain types of elements. So you could give permissions to a group/user to have access to only create "headline" elements, etc.

A good module, but not what I was looking for exactly.

I'm looking to set the permissions at the element level (like you would a site structure page with "Assign access rights"). I want the user to see an element in the backend but not be able to edit it. The reason is so I can leave the backend user a "note" as a text element, so they could see the note I left, but not be able to edit the note in fear that they would accidentally publish it the frontend of the website.

It doesn't look like this module currently exists. Thanks for your time Ruud.