Thread: [solved] Payment Gateway - Credit Card surcharge

Experienced user

Default [solved] Payment Gateway - Credit Card surcharge

Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a credit card % surcharge on the listed price before the checkout completes.

[ ] Pay with Bank Transfer -- no surcharge
    [x] Pay with Credit Card -- add a 3.9 % surcharge onto the order total

Is there a standard way to do this, or do we inflate the prices in the payment gateway itself?

Experienced user

Default Re: Payment Gateway - Credit Card surcharge

It is not documented but I think you can put a percentage sign in the price field. So you could say 3.5% and Isotope will add that to the subtotal. I got it from the module...

Code:
    $blnPercentage = substr($strPrice, -1) == '%' ? true : false;

if ($blnPercentage)
    {
    	$fltSurcharge = (float)substr($strPrice, 0, -1);
    	$fltPrice = $this->Isotope->Cart->subTotal / 100 * $fltSurcharge;
    }
    else
    {
    	$fltPrice = (float)$strPrice;
    }
    Or do you perhaps mean in the description? In that case I know no standard way, other then editing the templates...

Experienced user

That's what I also did, funny!

Yes it works. The surcharge can be fixed amount or percentage. It's really nice because the amount is shown as percentage and the surcharge amount in currency in brackets is shown on payments gateway selection. nice!

A simple language string or better field name/help would have sorted me out quickly.

Experienced user

I was actually surprised you asked! But I agree the field description should mention it...

Experienced user

Why were you surprised? I'm not really a developer, as digging into the code is my last resort. Isotope is not the easiest system to modify/code for, so I'm jumping ship.

Experienced user

What ship will you climb aboard? Just curious because Isotope still mostly feels as "in progress". I still think that it wasn't 0.3 for nothing before Nina opted to make it 1.3 because you can't sell 0.x very wel...

Experienced user

non-Contao

Experienced user

Still interested though. Will you bridge or set them up next to one another? Applying a design twice is a lot of extra effort. And which system will you use? Of the few systems I know, Magento is worth looking at, but overly complex to do even the simplest thing in. That is the reason I started using Isotope, otherwise I would always use the very complete Magento.

Experienced user

I'm staying away from complex sites, so there is less custom coding. I'm going Wordpress Themes and WooCommerce.

Experienced user

severe chance of hijacking your topic. But Wordpress, do you have experience with it? I install it once every year or so and try and rebuild websites I did in Contao. If I want to come close to Contao functionality it takes quite some time, the db structure is awful and it still isn't there. It has a great community though, but the system still seems very crude.

What would you say the advantages of Wordpress are (that I may have missed?)

Experienced user

You NEVER start from scratch. You buy a theme from some place like Theme Forest. I ensure all the themes I buy are responsive, have all the features the client needs before I go ahead and purchase it. Most of the themes have fantastic customization abilities, to turn everything on/off, change colors, etc. To pay $55 for a high-end theme is nothing in the total job cost. Nice thing is that the client can preview the entire site, even before they put their money down.
    www.themeforest.com

They have really incredible themes, then you simply customize it. I now create child themes, so I can then tamper with the CSS, any page template (just a PHP file with really easy to understand code) and then I can make it do whatever I like.

Basically in Wordpress, everything is a POST, e.g. goes into the same table (pages, posts) are all "posts". This works similar to the module system in Contao, where each module extends the palette to only show certain fields. Also, Wordpress has come a long way. They are actually considering adding the Content Builder to the Wordpress Core, only due for 3.9 (they on 3.5), which will work similar to the CE Builder (but with grid columns points too). I absolutely LOVE the media selector.

The current theme I'm working on is RocketBoard and it's got special post types for Portfolio, Testimonial, Price Table, Gallery, Personnel (people) - each with it's own BE interface, Categories root, Tags root. The theme also a built-in content editor (like Contao) where you build the page's content. It also includes special BOARD layout section.

THEME SITE: http://themeforest.net/item/rocket-boar ... me/4029455
    LIVE PREVIEW: http://themes.goodlayers2.com/rocketboard/

Coding
    It only took me a little while, but I can already create my own shortcodes (which is similar to inserttags), hide sections for certain pages, write custom functions And of course there are TONS of plugins, free and purchased to extend the functionality. I haven't really had to code major anything yet.

WooCommerce
    I've only played around with it, but it's mightly powerful. You can create variants and then it's much simpler to add variats, change images per variant and also make only certain variants active. This is really awesome. They also have a lot more payment gateways (although some are paid for, ecommerce sites are more expensive).

Experienced user

Well... You are right, $55 is hard to beat. Good and many themes is a definite pro that I've already mentioned a million times that we need for Contao. I also saw the templates before and from one hand it is nice if it is just a php file because that is easy to alter. Contao theme files are php as well, so that is bascialy the same.

One problem we've been looking at is that we want to focus on a CMS and be an expert. I am not sure if we can be in both. How do you manage that?

Another problem we have is buying a ready made template. How do I sell that to a customer. We are not yet sure how to sell something we just buy as well? Any tips?

Also, do you always use Wordpress or Contao, or is Wordpress a new thing and are we losing you as a contributer? (Because you have been a big contributer for sure so far!)

Experienced user

Contao was a great framework to develop in, there just isn't enough people and themes.

I still charge to customise and add content, clients are not very good with that. They don't know CSS, PHP or how to assemble content, how to change settings, setup images, configure all the bits and pieces. Clients might also not want to edit Wordpress, so ill pickup the retainer for that too.

Clients will not want to so that. They want a complete solution. I'm prepared to cut a little bit of cost out for the theme, as it streamlines and makes things easier to get going for me and the client.

I'll still keep older websites on Contao and support those, but all new sites at Wordpress.