Thread: Compatibility with 3.x

Experienced user

Default Compatibility with 3.x

I've released the formauto version that is 3.x compatible.

NOTE: The new version uses .html5 templates instead of .html files for confirmations, this means you use templates. There are two samples included, which shows a static field and a more dynamic fields (e.g. you can perform conditions in the confirmation output), which is far more flexible approach. If you leave old forms alone, they should still work, as I have a backwards compatibility check in to render HTML as-is. Only if you try to change or create new ones it will force you to use the new template system.

https://contao.org/en/extension-list/vi ... 09.en.html

New user

Default Re: Compatibility with 3.x

Hi everybody,

I installed formauto (under C3.1.0) but as soon as I create the required modules and try to place them in articles I get errors that classes can't be redeclared (for all three modules, as far as I can tell). The data table is being created but no records are being saved and neither will I be redirected to the configured confirmation page.

Now I'm at a loss here as in the German ER it says that the new Shared DynamicTable driver needs to be downloaded, while in the English ER that driver isn't being mentioned.

So I'm not sure, if the missing driver is causing the problems or possibly EFG, which is installed as well, but I tried to avoid using any EFG options in the autoform I set up.

Is the Shared DynamicDriver required and If so, where do I find it? (I can only find the old DC_DynamicTable for Contao 2.)

I appreciate your help,
    Anke

Experienced user

The driver has been integrated into formauto in it's folder structure rather than a separate extension. You have posted the errors, so we can't help you.

You also don't need to create the modules, as the FormAuto only works as part of the integrated Form system. I'm not sure if I updated the "free-standing" modules (FormAuto Free, Listing) to the new code, as I never use them myself (and doubt any body was using them), but they should be easy to update.

If you post the errors we can see which folder is complaining.

New user

Thyon,

thank you for your quick response! (I didn't get any notification and just checked here again.)

So formauto has been updated to C3.1 execpt for the modules, right?

I just reinstalled formauto (after uninstalling efg), copied a form and set it to Automatic Form, then I imported some records via phpmyadmin. Formauto didn't recognize the data, so I entered a record using the form and checked the data table: the imported records have been deleted, i.e. replaced by the record I added using the form. I suppose, there's no way to import records ...?

(No errors this time, but then I didn' create any of the "free-standing" modules.)

For the frontend, the core listing module is working just fine. I understand that this extension has been developed for event registrations which explains that new records can only be added in the frontend while they can only be edited in the backend.

I don't use formauto for event registrations (so far), but I do have small businesses once and again who want to offer products or references etc. in searchable/sortable lists. Therefore I need a frontend editing possibilty for logged in users and/or a possibilty to add new records in the backend. Would it be a lot of effort to implement that? Would you make me an offer?

Oh, and one more question: Are there any insert tags that can be used for the confirmation page and for emails?

Regards,
    Anke

EDIT: Just for fun I created a formauto listing module and I got this error message again:
    Code:
     Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class ModuleFormAutoListing in /.../system/modules/formauto/modules/ModuleFormAutoListing.php on line 110

Experienced user

This module has nothing to do with database editing, so you would have to look at other solutions. EFG and http://now.metamodel.me/en/about

I think i was the only one to use these modues, lol. I've started trying to add compatibility to the listing module and I've got that done. The module free will be more problematic but rather use inline free. The info module is next.

Confirmation is explain in the manual on my site, and some confirm html files are included as samples.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    This module has nothing to do with database editing, so you would have to look at other solutions. EFG and http://now.metamodel.me/en/about
    It has nothing to do with database editing? Please help me to understand. Formauto - as is - is able to create data tables and to edit and delete records, right? That's the basis I need - with e.g. the comfort of being able to create records in the backend. And I'd be willing to pay for this and maybe other implementations.

I know EFG and I've also been working with the former catalog, but for several reasons both have their disadvantages ...

Experienced user

formauto was originally designed to use the form design and store those records easily in a database when a user submits a form, like you said for registrations or for contact form leads (to have a record more than just e-mails). However it cannot and was never designed to have a FE user ever edit that information, as it's for admin use after the client/user submitted it. The Catalog Module (only for 2.x and which took a while to develop) would be better suited for FE editing, as there are modules to add those features.

The reason you can edit in the BE is because Contao does provide great tools and editing to allow any table to be easily edited as long as you know what field type to display, so I just map formfield types to BE types (which is so easy). The idea with formauto edit in the BE was to allow a Event Administrator to update a client's details in case they were wrong, or to delete an entry so a person can try again. Actually, I had to create a nasty hack to be able to setup the BE editing to map the dynamic table for the form to the actual table you edit, since the Contao, you MUST have a complete module file set created for every table you edit (which of course I don't have, it's all dynamically added, and this was quite a feat to achieve, the fact that it works still amazes me).

Unfortunately Contao doesn't provide ANY libraries or methods to easily edit FE content tables, so that's why you will struggle to find modules that offer this feature. I believe Catalog had something and EFG has something as well.

Maybe this helps you clear things up.

New user

Yes, thank you, that's a clear explanation, even though demotivating. I need custom tables again and again and I'm afraid in the longrun I might not have a choice but to change to another CMS, which I would really hate doing.

My customers don't understand why a database-driven system doesn't support custom tables by default, and frankly neither do I. The form generator is built-in, but its listing module doesn't allow any editing.

I created lots of very complex forms with EFG but I don't like its storage system that doesn't allow easy SQL ex/imports. EFG doesn't run under 3.1. and there's o word about when it might be updated. And the Catalog/MetaModels, well, way too big/complexx for my needs and it's been lagging behind the core development for years, something that is pretty difficult to explain to customers.

Experienced user

I've also tried Joomla recently, but again, it's a bit cludgy. I've basically switched websites to Wordpress and they have amazing cheap purchasable themes, with literally thousands of plugins available and it's extremely easy to add custom-post types for custom data in just a few lines of code, and the concept of FE/BE users is merged in Wordpress and now I am actively looking for plugins there to take over the functionality I needed for Contao modules. I'm going to have to hand over my code to other developers at some point. I know sad but true.