Thread: Upgrade from Contao 2 > 3

User

Default Upgrade from Contao 2 > 3

Hi,

I'm just wondering has anybody successfully upgraded a Contao 2 site up to Contao 3?

I've tried this a couple of times now and both times the sites have broken. We're looking to upgrade a few of our client's site before the end of the year, some of them with a lot of content so we don't really want to start from scratch.

At the moment I'm trying to upgrade a site from 2.10.2 to 3.1.3. The last step on the upgrade never completed, I think it was something like 'Restore DB'. Now in the frontend I just have a blank page, no PHP or server errors.

If anyone has any tips or experience with an upgrade from 2 to 3 I would be interested to hear how it went and what you did, if anything, to get it working.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Default Re: Upgrade from Contao 2 > 3

I've done several updates from 2.11 to 3.1. Are you working with the live update or manualy?

If you wish I could try an update of your page in a mirror and write down the required steps. As I saw there seems to be no update instructions for english user. Here's the manual for germans https://contao.org/de/news/update-auf-contao-3.html

Some hints:
    check that required extension are compatible
    some not compatible extension may run after you do the autoload-creator you find in BE
    don't rename tl_files to files till the end.
    After the update use this script, to change file pathes in the DB https://gist.github.com/leofeyer/3304014

put this into localconfig.php
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['bypassCache'] = true;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['coreOnlyMode'] = true;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['displayErrors'] = true;
    Put a .skip file in extension folders you like to deactivate
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist

User

I'm just about to go through this myself and so i understand that making sure you've prepared everything before hand is going to be extremely important.

Now, I will preform the update manually. My thinking is that i will remove the old website and delete the old database from the server. Then upload the localhost version (that i have tested to death) to the server, create a new database on the server, run the contao nstall tool to connect to the database and create the tables and create a new admin account.

Then, sync the live version with my localhost version for future updates.

Am i missing something here that could cause me problems? For instance, when running the install.php tool my thinking is that all information will have to be created afresh.

Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I've done several updates from 2.11 to 3.1. Are you working with the live update or manualy?

If you wish I could try an update of your page in a mirror and write down the required steps. As I saw there seems to be no update instructions for english user. Here's the manual for germans https://contao.org/de/news/update-auf-contao-3.html

Some hints:
    check that required extension are compatible
    some not compatible extension may run after you do the autoload-creator you find in BE
    don't rename tl_files to files till the end.
    After the update use this script, to change file pathes in the DB https://gist.github.com/leofeyer/3304014

put this into localconfig.php
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['bypassCache'] = true;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['coreOnlyMode'] = true;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['displayErrors'] = true;
    Put a .skip file in extension folders you like to deactivate
    why is the german manual so short?
    i'mt trying to figure out how should i use the "update database" buttons in the installation tool...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2 View Post
    why is the german manual so short?
    i'mt trying to figure out how should i use the "update database" buttons in the installation tool...
    So short: Because it is not so hard if you know what to do.
    "update database" buttons: ??? Mouse click on it?
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    So short: Because it is not so hard if you know what to do.
    "update database" buttons: ??? Mouse click on it?
    i did click on them, but the page just kept loading without doing anything, until i selected the drop tables first.
    the upgrade failed tho, because i was not able to insert new news articles anymore... (on localhost, dunno if i can use a live server for another try)

edit*
    how long does it usually take after i press the "update database" button for the "alter tables options" ?
    Last edited by jimmy2; 12/15/2014 at 02:26.

Maybe 5 to 30 seconds.

Maybe tomorow I can help you with a skype session it's 2:18 pm here.
    Amazon wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2 View Post
    how long does it usually take after i press the "update database" button for the "alter tables options" ?
    If the server limits (max execution time and memory limit) are quite limited it might be a good idea to run the migration step by step (i.e. not all SQL statements at once).
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

i think it got hung up on the huge search-index (about 6 million entries....). after i cleaned that up, it started to do stuff extremely fast... wonder why was so big index needed anyway?