Thread: Translations

User

Default Translations

Hi guys,

I have an extension installed (photoalbums2)
    And i would like to add a dutch translation.

To my humble thought, I was under the impression that adding a "nl" folder (copy the "en" ) and translate the required fields would be sufficient.
    meaning that when I am in the "nl" version of the site nl is used and when i am in the "en" version of the site the en files are used.

But I think it is not that simple.

How do I trigger the nl folder?

User

What is your Contao Version?

Do you have made 2 Page Trees? en & nl ? With the correct language set?

Do you have a link to see the page?

User

Hi Ciaobello, thanks for helping out! (sorry, made you a Ciaobella initially ;-))

The translated fields not showing was a chache thing, I have now changed the Image Album name in both english and dutch in the backend.

I am using 3.2.12

However.... Something funny is happening, which I do not quit understand.
    I have made a copy of the site, for testing purposes: http://www.pukt.nl/develop/contao/index.php/media.html

I only translated the media pages on which the photoalbums2 module is applicable.

In the backend I have ONE album list and ONE album reader. So I have not translated the modules. There is no need.
    The system does somehow make a difference, but I do not know where or how. In the backend only NL is visible, no matter in what language I sign in.

Front end show different entries. Different entries also visible in the tl_translations_fields in my database.

And why is it only showing these info fields in the database? There are more fields to be filled out in the backend.
    Last edited by lostrisq; 07/03/2014 at 17:37.

User

Ok, first we need to eliminate possible errors:

However.... Something funny is happening, which I do not quit understand.
    I have made a copy of the site, for testing purposes: http://www.pukt.nl/develop/contao/index.php/media.html
    So, you copied Contao in a new folder > develop and also copied the db with a other name (if you copied on same Server)?
    Check out, develop/config/pathconfig.php you need the "develop" in your path ... you can just run develop/contao/install.php again and the path will be set automatically ... you made that?

If you want to use mode rewrite, you have to add develop also in your rewrite base in .htaccess in /develop folder ... will you use rewrite to develop?

(sorry if i talk with you as you would be a beginner, I do it because I just dont know your skills and knowledge. Sometimes i also try to make it understandable for newbies, that they also can follow
    pls. dont worry about that ).
    Last edited by ciaobello; 07/04/2014 at 01:57.

User

That is ok :-D

I am not a complete newby, but I am also no wizzkid either ;-)

I always but my sites which I am developping in /develop/
    All paths are correct, after copying to other folder I always change the localconfig and run the install

pathconfig.php is also correct.

I am not using mod_rewrite when developping. Only when i site is live i start using mod_rewrite (is this odd?)

User

I am not using mod_rewrite when developping. Only when i site is live i start using mod_rewrite (is this odd?)
    If I would develop on a other domain than the target domain, I would make a subdomain pointing in the develop folder. And also add the language to the URL, including rewrite. So in the end it is just a coping to the new Domain or if it is on the same server point the right domain to that folder.

To go on, with your solution for the problem, keep in mind that Contao core seams to be complete Translated. Everithing what is not translated you need to search for in the /language folder from the Extension.

User

Ok, thanks for that!

About the translated entry fields... Still do not know why this happened, but I deleted the tables and now all is well.

Thanks for your swift feedback.