Thread: Paid help on charity project

User

Ausrufezeichen Paid help on charity project

Hello everyone,

Export/import fron Catalog to MetaModels
    I'm looking for someone to move database entries from the Catalog Contao 2.11 to MetaModels with Contao 3.3.6 – somehow automatically rather than copy/paste one-by-one. Some more info:

• Database content on current Contao 2.11 site: http://bit.ly/1tYd61t
    • I could set up most of the MM backend, e.g. add all the fields there
    • Some automatic find & replace would be required before import into MM, e.g. change HTML tags, e.g. h5 to h2
    • Would be best to have someone who could also look at and fix things in case MM throws up errors.
    • Timing, between now and mid December, or during the second week of January

Export/import News items from Contao 2.11 to Contao 3.3.6
    For the same site, we'd also like to transfer the news archive from Contao 2.11 to 3.3.6. I know that the News module has changed considerably, but maybe it's possible to relatively easily just transfer titles and text content, removing everything else, e.g. images (although if they can easily be transferred, that could be considered). Timing for this: ideally between now and mid December.

Please PM me if you can assist with one or both of the above. Or make any comments/observations below. Many thanks!
    Last edited by spirelli; 11/26/2014 at 11:45.

If you are in Contao 2.11 I would suggest installing MM 1.1 on that site, creating all the needed database fields in MM (as you probably did right now), transfer the content of the catalog via TabImporter extension and then, after disabling the Catalog, do an update to Contao 3.

There should not be any <html> tags in your catalog database, so changing the output should be a little work on MM templates.

I've done that earlier this year for several times, it's not completely a no-brainer, but not as hard as it looks at first sight. Bonus: news items won't be affected, contents will be preserved.

User

Hi Lucina,

Thank you for your reply with the outline. Unfortunately, I've already set up a completely new site in Contao 3, which in the process of being populated with revised content. The idea was to build something new from the ground up to get rid of some old baggage, and to give the owner the chance to completely review the content.

I imagined I could just get some help with transferring the Catalog and News. I'm just don't know much about databased and PHP. I'm sure even if I tried I would get stuck...

Well, that makes things more complicated ... ;-)

Hoping that you are still on Contao 2.11 with your live site, why don't you clone it and rebuild the catalog with MM as I figured out above? You should be able to get a somekind of portable version of the MM - which could be imported via MySQL into your 3.3 installation if you have a clean MetaModels install (means: no MetaModels created sind MM depends on the ID in some cases).

Regarding the news, you probably will be able do it same way or, for instance, via RSS import (there is an extension for that).

User

Hi Lucina,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, there is a Contao 2.11 live site while the C3 site is being put together. The site owner has a VPS hosting package with WHM/cPanel on it. I think I could easily ask the hosting company to just duplicate the existing Contao 2.11 account, so that this can then be worked on to upgrade the Catalog to MetaModels.

For News, I've tested the RSS import extension. It works somehow, but there seems to be a lot of problems to sort out: images get recognised and added to the file manager, but get broken with error messages being displayed. Also, the Teaser text field is populated with the actual news story, and the original Teaser is ignored... Hm...