Thread: I'm a Wordpress Guy

New user

Default I'm a Wordpress Guy

Hello Everyone,

As a computer 'hipster' , I've played around with many CMS. At the moment I just use Wordpress and help people out (Who mostly have custom CMSs anyways). Why would some use Contao? Is it more secure (Like Magento perhaps?) or somewhere in the middle of Wordpress and Magento?

Love to learn more about this.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

PS: TGIF!

New user

Hi, I reply based only on my personal experience.

I tried several major PHP CMS some years ago (Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal among the others): what I found was big systems full of features I didn't need/knew, a lot of templates with instructions like "copy this here, then click here and activate this" and so on. For my experience and way to work this was not cool at all. I saw the website I was trying to make for testing purpose get shape and appearance, but I personally understand very little of what it was going on.

Plus, I had to observe CSS and understand why the developer had done something that way and not the way I would have done it, and I figured out that if my client asked me something specific it would took me twice the time to change it than make it myself from scratch.

To this side I add the fact that in Joomla I found out that adding backend modules and plugins (Phoca gallery in my case) meant to add a new kind of admin layout, panel and so on. I didn't like that at all.

I tried Contao by reading its name on a blog, and I discovered a CMS that, after installation, provided me with almost nothing on the front-end website, but had a solid skeleton and a nice coherent back-end, very close to my likes and those I used to made myself. I had to make everything from the very beginning, and I was able to exactly replicate a website I had already made on Classic ASP in just a couple of days of training.

Since then I've built almost every website with this CMS, even 2 portals and a blog, without find any big trouble and knowing exactly why I made something a way or another.
    For me it's the essential to use a CMS
    Last edited by Abisem; 07/08/2015 at 11:34.