Thread: Multilingual sites and SEO

Default Multilingual sites and SEO

What is the impact of multilingual versions of Contao pages on SEO? Do the web crawlers see two pages with the same content but different language as two different web pages? I suppose they do, so is it neccessary or recommendable to tag one of them as canonical page of original version (fallback page)?

On other hand I can see something like this in Page Source

Code:
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" lang="en" href="index.php/en/page" title="Page title">
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="sr" lang="sr" href="index.php/sr/page" title="Page title">
    so is it possible that Contao already gives a proper information to search robots?
    Last edited by tetrijeb; 11/04/2015 at 16:25.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrijeb View Post
    so is it possible that Contao already gives a proper information to search robots?
    Not sure but I think so. Additionaly you can create separate sitemaps in each website root - sitemap-en, sitemap-ba ...
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by tetrijeb View Post
    On other hand I can see something like this in Page Source

Code:
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" lang="en" href="index.php/en/page" title="Page title">
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="sr" lang="sr" href="index.php/sr/page" title="Page title">
    This is generated by the [changelanguage] extension.