Thread: |News archive 2.11 to 3.5

Default |News archive 2.11 to 3.5

Hi,

What would be the best way to import the news archive from 2.11 to 3.5? Does complete 2.11 should be upgraded step by step to 3.5 then to transfer modified news archive, or there is a simplier way?

Thanks.

You should simply update your Contao 2.11 Installation to Contao 3.5.14.

Those are two separated websites, one running with Contao 2.11 and the second one with Contao 3.5.

So, I should upgrade that with older version (I assume the best way would be a local copy) to 3.5 and then export/import it?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrijeb View Post
    So, I should upgrade that with older version (I assume the best way would be a local copy) to 3.5 and then export/import it?
    It's not that straight forward, unless you don't have any detail text on any of your news entries.

In Contao 3, the detail text of a news entry consists of regular content elements, within the table tl_content. Thus importing the news from another Contao installation is possibly not that easy. You need to:
    • update your Contao 2.11 installation to Contao 3.5 and make sure that all database upgrades are done completely,
    • truncate tl_news in your Contao 3.5 installation,
    • export tl_news from your old installation to the new Contao 3.5 installation,
    • export all tl_content entries from your old installation, but only those where ptable = 'tl_news' and you must not export their primary keys, and then import it into the new Contao 3.5 installation
    However, this way your file references are still missing.

Hmmm... Yes, I understand. I will probably reconsider once more, whether to do that or just to leave it.

It's a 4 year old archive so I would like to preserve it, but maybe is not so neccessary to have it inside the new website. The most of the articles are irrelevant now, it's just about legacy.
    Last edited by tetrijeb; 06/29/2016 at 14:24.