Thread: Updating contao (no installation tool password)

New user

Default Updating contao (no installation tool password)

I'm running my own VPS and a couple sites on joomla which run fine on php 5.6. Now i'm planning to upgrade to PHP 7, but a customer i maintain the site for uses contao 2.11. Will 2.11 work on php 7 without issues? I'd love to upgrade it to a recent version, but i only took over maintenance after the domain owner transferred the site to my vps for maintenance and he does NOT have the original installation password since the person that originally maintained it is no longer involved.

How do i proceed?

First of all, you need at least Contao 3.5.1 for PHP7. Furthermore, some Contao extension that you use might not be compatible for PHP7 yet.

Secondly, to reset the Install Tool password, you simply need to delete the following line from your /system/config/localconfig.php:
    PHP Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['installPassword'] = '…'
    Then access the Install Tool via /contao/install.php to set a new Install Tool Password.

New user

where would i find out if there are extensions installed (and thus which ones). All i did was migrate the db & files from the old host to the new one. Haven't needed to access the backend yet (have just contacted owner for backend credentials). Provided i am succesful in setting a new one, is it recommended to go from 2.11 straight to the newest one, or would you recommend intermediate versions?

about the install password. Well i deleted that line and went to the page. Here's what i get
    ------
    Installation help program login
    please enter the helpprogram password. This is not the same as the contao backend login
    ------

Which seems to clearly indicate the EXISTING password, not asking for a new one. Otherwise it should be something like "please enter the NEW helpprogram password..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
    where would i find out if there are extensions installed (and thus which ones). All i did was migrate the db & files from the old host to the new one. Haven't needed to access the backend yet (have just contacted owner for backend credentials). Provided i am succesful in setting a new one, is it recommended to go from 2.11 straight to the newest one, or would you recommend intermediate versions?
    You should update to 2.11.17 and then go straight to 3.5.15. Remember to purge the internal cache and the search index before updating.

about the install password. Well i deleted that line and went to the page. Here's what i get
    ------
    Installation help program login
    please enter the helpprogram password. This is not the same as the contao backend login
    ------

Which seems to clearly indicate the EXISTING password, not asking for a new one. Otherwise it should be something like "please enter the NEW helpprogram password..."
    Are you sure you deleted all occurrences of the 'installPassword' in your localconfig.php?

New user

i'd deleted it from the config.php apparantly. I've restored that one, edited localconfig.php and success. Some db alterations needed to be made, so let that through as well. IDug through some old e-mails and found the backend credentials, updated all extensions to latest versions so should be good to go. Update is asking for a liveupdated ID (which i don't have). If i click on the link under "Live Update ID" i'm redirected to https://sv2.inetrobots.com/neutral/ which results in error 403. so i guess manual is the way? If so, update guide please
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/22/2016 at 20:02.

You can buy a Live-Update ID here: https://update.contao.org/en/

The new Live Update URL is https://update.contao.org/service/ - which you have to define under System » Settings » Live Update » Live Update URL (at least that's the location under Contao 3, idk know much about Contao 2).

Making a backup of the whole installation (all files and database too) is strongly recommended.

Sent from my Nokia 6210 using Tapatalk

New user

THAT i have already done using a dedicated tool "akeeba solo" (by akeebabackup.com). For now i'll go with the manual way, as i cannot force the site owner to purchase a liveupdate ID. Site owner is personal friend and im currently doing this on a volunteer unpaid basis. Trying to get him to swap to volunteer paid basis ^^

Now as far as updating itself goes i've found the documentation like https://docs.contao.org/books/manual...al-update.html but there's no straight guide to go from 2.11 to 3.5.x. Reason i'm asking is 2.11 still uses the foldername tl_files while 3.5.x uses files. Do i rename the folder prior to upgrade and replace, do i leave it and is the folder renamed / deleted during the upgrade...

Just leave it. There is a way to rename it afterwards, but Contao will be fine with the old folder name in an upgraded installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New user

so i should just copy the files from the 3.5.15 "files" folder into the 2.11 "tl_files" one and then proceed with calling install.php?

As there are only a few files there which are not necessary I recommend to leave tl_files untouched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New user

Awesome, then i can put the site in maintenance mode and proceed with the upgrade. 2.11 is pretty much an open door in terms of security. That's why my friend contacted me in the first place. Site hasn't seen maintenance in a long time after their maintenance person took a hike. Gotta upgrade first before i can upgrade the server's php, or the site will stop working completely and we don't want that :D

New user

So, i'm getting ready to backup. 2 small issues. I don't have a file /config/pathconfig.php on 2.11 nor a folder /templates but i do have /themes. The following just a few differences between 2.11 and 3.5.15 BEFORE upgrading

/assets , not in 2.11 but present in 3.15
    /contao/changelog.php NO in 2.11, YES in 3.5
    /contao/confirm.php NO in 2.11, YES 3.5
    /contao/files.php YES 2.11, NO 3.5
    /contao/contao-uncompressed.js YES 2.11, NO 3.5
    /share NO 2.11, YES 3.5

and a lot more

OK. So uploaded the files. Visited install.php, result:

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in system/modules/core/library/Contao/System.php on line 140

#0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'in_array() expe...', '/home/<snip>/doma...', 140, Array)
    #1 system/modules/core/library/Contao/System.php(140): in_array('getInstance', NULL)
    #2 system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(41): Contao\System->import('slideItHelper')
    #3 system/modules/core/classes/BackendTemplate.php(107): Contao\BackendTemplate->parse()
    #4 system/modules/core/controllers/BackendInstall.php(878): Contao\BackendTemplate->output()
    #5 system/modules/core/controllers/BackendInstall.php(107): Contao\BackendInstall->outputAndExit()
    #6 contao/install.php(24): Contao\BackendInstall->run()
    #7 {main}

Fatal error: Class 'slideItHelper' not found in /home/<snip>/domains/<snip>.be/public_html/system/modules/core/library/Contao/System.php on line 140

front end automatically went in "maintenance mode"
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/23/2016 at 16:44.

You need to reinstall, update or disable the Extension "slideitmoo".

Also just in case, validate your Contao Installation with the Contao Check.

New user

i've made a backup. All i need to do delete all current files and extract backup . I havent installed anything yet. I simply uploaded the 3.15 contents and replaced existing files. Couldn't even start the installer. How would i go about disabling that extension as it is now? I've got no clue, i'm way more farmiliar with joomla. Let alone "validate" anything.

Simply create a file named ".skip" in /system/modules/slideitmoo (or delete the extension completely, if you don't need it anymore)

You could also replace the extension with its newest version by downloading it from here: https://contao.org/de/erweiterungsli...eItMoo.de.html
    It should work in 3.5.15 as well (but no gurantee).

New user

Great, that worked. Upgrade done. Next issue. It's not my call to make to delete or keep an extension. They simply asked me for maintenance and upgrade assistance. Below list of currently "incompatible" extensions flagged by 3.5.
    Code:
    Extension		Version		Created		Status
    ajax	 		1.1.6 		3 		not allowed for Contao 3.5.15
    bookmarking 		1.0.3 		10 		not allowed for Contao 3.5.15
    boxes 			1.14.1 		7		not allowed for Contao 3.5.15 	
    dlh_geocode 		1.0.4 		6 		expected to be compatible with contao 3.5.15
    dlh_googlemaps 		2.2.0 		3 		Current
    dropdown 		1.0.0 		23 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    Dutch-translation 	2.11.0 		29 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    FacebookShareButton 	0.0.9-beta2 	14 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    Favicon 		1.4.0 		18  		not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    fblikeit 		2.2.0 		5 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15 	
    googleanalytics 	1.4.0 		12 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    ImageMenu 		1.2.0 		6 	 	expected to be compatible with contao 3.5.15
    Imageslider 		1.3.0 		8 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    jquery 			0.1.6 		4 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    keywords 		1.5.7 		7 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    Lightbox4ward 		1.7.0 		6 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    MultiColumnWizard 	3.3.6 		4 		current
    newsgallery 		1.0.6 		12 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    optional_rows 		2.0.0 		4 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    parentslist 		1.1.1 		6 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    slideItMoo 		2.4.0 		22 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    slideItMooFramework 	1.0.2 		12 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    splitgallery 		1.2.0	 	3 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    teaserimages 		1.0.0 		23 	 	not allowed for contao 3.5.15	
    Webradio 		1.1.0 		2 		not allowed for contao 3.5.15
    xls_export 		3.0.0 		20 		expected to be compatible with 3.5.15
    Is there a way i can "disable" the problematic ones from the backend too see what kind of an impact they have on the front end (after we get the template issue in the lower part of this post resolved)

Systemlogs shows a few dozen of these

Code:
    [23-08-2016 20:59] Module class "" (module "imageslider") does not exist
    after loging in/out there's these too.

Code:
    [23-08-2016 21:02] Content element class "" (content element "fblikeit_xfbml") does not exist
    [23-08-2016 21:02] Module class "" (module "imageslider") does not exist
    [23-08-2016 21:02] Content element class "" (content element "fblikeit_xfbml") does not exist
    Using front end preview currently gives the following, no doubt related to the above extensions / template

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not find template "moo_analytics" thrown in system/modules/core/library/Contao/TemplateLoader.php on line 123

#0 system/modules/core/library/Contao/Controller.php(76): Contao\TemplateLoader::getPath('moo_analytics', 'xhtml')
    #1 system/modules/core/library/Contao/BaseTemplate.php(81): Contao\Controller::getTemplate('moo_analytics', 'xhtml')
    #2 system/modules/core/library/Contao/Template.php(277): Contao\BaseTemplate->parse()
    #3 system/modules/core/classes/FrontendTemplate.php(46): Contao\Template->parse()
    #4 system/modules/core/pages/PageRegular.php(733): Contao\FrontendTemplate->parse()
    #5 system/modules/core/pages/PageRegular.php(186): Contao\PageRegular->createFooterScripts(Object(Contao\LayoutModel))
    #6 system/modules/core/controllers/FrontendIndex.php(285): Contao\PageRegular->generate(Object(Contao\PageModel), true)
    #7 index.php(20): Contao\FrontendIndex->run()
    #8 {main}
    We'll get there eventually. Probably never would have been such a problem if their site IT guy did what he was paid to do. Neglecting updates for 2 years? not very professional
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/25/2016 at 23:37.

New user

Bump,

i really need this fixed and the only info i can see about that error is in german and i don't speak german. The only other option i have is to restore 2.11 and thats not really an option for multiple reasons. If nobody can help me, then please point me to the contao support staff (ticket system, e-mail,...) or someone who can.

Is there a way i can "disable" the problematic ones from the backend too see what kind of an impact they have on the front end (after we get the template issue in the lower part of this post resolved)
    Put an empty file named .skip into the extension directory which is located at /system/modules/{extension}.

Then I would try to get replacement if appropriate. For example, there is a 3.5 compatible version of lightbox4ward, or another one for slideitmoo. On the other side, there are some extension which are not needed anymore. JQuery is part of Contao from version 3.0 and up. The keywords extension could be replaced with extended_seo, and for a favicon I personally prefer generating the files directly and call it from my layouts via 'additional head tags'.

A newsgallery extension will be no longer needed since Contao 3 is able to put every content element (like a gallery) into every news.

This part will be a little bit about creativity and wordarounds ... ;-)

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not find template "moo_analytics" thrown in system/modules/core/library/Contao/TemplateLoader.php on line 123

#0 system/modules/core/library/Contao/Controller.php(76): Contao\TemplateLoader::getPath('moo_analytics', 'xhtml')
    #1 system/modules/core/library/Contao/BaseTemplate.php(81): Contao\Controller::getTemplate('moo_analytics', 'xhtml')
    #2 system/modules/core/library/Contao/Template.php(277): Contao\BaseTemplate->parse()
    #3 system/modules/core/classes/FrontendTemplate.php(46): Contao\Template->parse()
    #4 system/modules/core/pages/PageRegular.php(733): Contao\FrontendTemplate->parse()
    #5 system/modules/core/pages/PageRegular.php(186): Contao\PageRegular->createFooterScripts(Object(Contao\LayoutModel))
    #6 system/modules/core/controllers/FrontendIndex.php(285): Contao\PageRegular->generate(Object(Contao\PageModel), true)
    #7 index.php(20): Contao\FrontendIndex->run()
    #8 {main}
    Simply put a template file named 'moo_analytics.xhtml' in to /templates folder. You may do so from the backend in the first part ('new template', select 'moo_analytics') and rename it to the .xhtml file extension via FTP.

We'll get there eventually. Probably never would have been such a problem if their site IT guy did what he was paid to do. Neglecting updates for 2 years? not very professional
    I'm quite sure that you will get there. Neglecting updates for a long time is something I see very often, since many customers won't like to pay for (and some front end developers don't have a clue what do to). Sorry to say that.

New user

@lucina

that new file did the trick. Now naturally the entire layout is f*cked up. We're making progress. Could you mark (with a * for example) which extensions i can safely remove where the functionality is built into 3.5 and perhaps list a replacement. I upgraded the lightbox4ward extension to 2.0.0 still listed as incompatible, same for slideitmoo. What it looked like before is a slideshow in the header/banner. Below 2 images.

screenshot.jpg of what it looked like BEFORE the upgrade, screenshot2 is where we're at now (as seen through the preview). Ooh and i know far too well about people not wanting to pay for maintenance. Which is probably why their previous guy left. I said i'd be willing to upgrade it, but unless they swapped to a CMS i'm more farmiliar with i needed cash up front. So far all in all i've spent about 5 minutes doing the actual upgrading, an hour or 2 doing troubleshooting & research. currently paid € 125 ^^ not a bad ratio, but the lower i can keep the work hours the bigger the payout. i'd appreciate it if you can continue to help me through this upgrade nightmare.

installing an updated extension is easy enough, figuring out how to configure it is a complete nightmare if you're used to an entirely different CMS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/26/2016 at 00:55.

Well, I try ... ;-)

G
    Code:
    Extension        Version        Created        Status
    ajax             1.1.6         3         not allowed for Contao 3.5.15 DEPRECATED BUT YOU MAY USE IT
    bookmarking         1.0.3         10         not allowed for Contao 3.5.15 DONT KNOW WHAT IT DOES
    boxes             1.14.1         7        not allowed for Contao 3.5.15     DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE (maybe used for integration layout sections, try via articles -> Module -> {{insert_article::ID}}
    dlh_geocode         1.0.4         6         expected to be compatible with contao 3.5.15 FINE
    dlh_googlemaps         2.2.0         3         Current FINE
    dropdown         1.0.0         23         not allowed for contao 3.5.15 DONT KNOW WHAT IT DOES - CSS-REPLACEMENT?
    Dutch-translation     2.11.0         29         not allowed for contao 3.5.15 should be in CORE / Installation LanguageFile via Transifex
    FacebookShareButton     0.0.9-beta2     14         not allowed for contao 3.5.15 OBSOLeTE -> CORE, Other widgets
    Favicon         1.4.0         18          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    GENERATE ONE VIA REALFAVICONGENERATOR.COM -> Layout
    fblikeit         2.2.0         5         not allowed for contao 3.5.15     DONT KNOW
    googleanalytics     1.4.0         12         not allowed for contao 3.5.15 CORE via Template
    ImageMenu         1.2.0         6          expected to be compatible with contao 3.5.15 FINE
    Imageslider         1.3.0         8          not allowed for contao 3.5.15 UHMM. Better use something like Rocksolid-Slider
    jquery             0.1.6         4          not allowed for contao 3.5.15 OBSOLETE, activate JQuery in Layout
    keywords         1.5.7         7          not allowed for contao 3.5.15 EXTENDED_SEO
    Lightbox4ward         1.7.0         6          not allowed for contao 3.5.15 INSTALL VIA github (https://github.com/psi-4ward/boxes4ward)
    MultiColumnWizard     3.3.6         4         current FINE
    newsgallery         1.0.6         12          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    OBSOLETE, will have to rebuild galleries with content element or another gallery extension
    optional_rows         2.0.0         4          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    DONT KNOW probably rebuld grid elements via <html>
    parentslist         1.1.1         6          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    belongs to BOXES (AFAIK)
    slideItMoo         2.4.0         22          not allowed for contao 3.5.15 just use Core Slider or Rocksolid Slider
    slideItMooFramework     1.0.2         12          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    see above, OBSOLETE
    splitgallery         1.2.0         3          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    use Core Gallery, will have to be rebuilt
    teaserimages         1.0.0         23          not allowed for contao 3.5.15    OBSOLETE, CORE, rebuild via add image to teaser
    Webradio         1.1.0         2         not allowed for contao 3.5.15  DONT KNOW
    xls_export         3.0.0         20         expected to be compatible with 3.5.15 FINE
    Hope it helps. I know, this upgrade will be a pain in the ass.

screenshot.jpg of what it looked like BEFORE the upgrade, screenshot2 is where we're at now (as seen through the preview).
    Well, screenshots are looking not too far - probably you will have to figure out how the sections have been built (via that deprecated optional_rows extension, I presume). There were some major changes in layout builder (switching to Holy Grail, for example), but this could be managed with a deeper dive into CSS.

New user

and there lies the problem. I have no clue what i'm doing in there or how the pages etc got built. I'm just messing around trying different stuff. any chance you could do it? When you say things like "core", "boxes", "install via github" (i know what github is, but that's about it) i have no idea what you're talking about. The site has been down for 3days approx now and needs to get back up

extendedSEO for example isn't allowed for 3.5.15 either. I can provide a full dump of the site if really needed
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/26/2016 at 03:01.

You did this on a live system? OMG.

'Core' means that one will be able to rebuild functionality via Contao itself (either modules or content elements). 'Github' means that there are new, compatible versions available via Github. One will have to do a quick search with the terms 'contao {extension name} github', download the packages and put them into /system/modules folder.

For the moment I would suggest to install Contao 2.11 into an other directory on your server, restore your backup and have the old site up and running - while we may figure out which steps to go on the upgrade system, getting that one up and running too.

I'm afraid to say that I haven't got enough time now for guiding you through the upgrade process now, but maybe one could do this the next days?

Sent from my Nokia 6210 using Tapatalk

New user

Let me know when you'll have the time and i can get you all the access you need. I'll go ahead and restore the backup probably. This whole contao thing is a total nightmare. I can't upgrade php to 7 unless contao is compatible. Yeah i know i can run 2 php versions but that comes with it's own set of problems
    Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 08/26/2016 at 03:05.

boxes or maybe boxes4ward should work. There is not really an alternative if you don't want to work with dozens of page layouts. It's used to distribute different contents on hand selected pages. Example: "show this article, module or whatever on those pages (optional subpages, all clickable in a page tree) in column right".

Favicon: use easyFavicon instead, it's damn easy.
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist