Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing on a Mac running El Capitan

User

Default Installing on a Mac running El Capitan

Hello,
    I need to install Contao on a Mac!
    I have inherited a website that was developed with Contao on a pc! I have the username and password the developer used to go give access to edit via Contao. So as a start I have copied the site to the “Sites” folder on the Mac and have set up Apache2, php and MySQL all running fine!

Now I need to install Contao! I have tried to follow the “Installing Contao” Manual by following “Installing with Composer” but get lost after entering the following into Terminal on the Mac.

Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$ curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php
    All settings correct for using Composer
    Downloading 1.2.1...

Composer successfully installed to: /Users/nickair/composer.phar
    Use it: php composer.phar
    Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$ sudo mv composer.phar /usr/local/bin/composer
    Password:
    Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$

Is the next step to enter?
    php composer.phar create-project contao/standard-edition <target>

“You have to replace the <target> parameter with a path to a folder where the Contao files will be created. If the target folder does not exist, it will be created automatically.

Can someone please point me to a guide that will help me to complete the installation or help with some guidance? Many thanks for any assistance!
    Nick.

Contao 4 is still under development and currently more or less only for advanced users. If you are not that experienced, may be you should stick with the current LTS version, i.e. Contao 3.5.

User

Default Installing Contao 3.5 on a Mac running El Capitan

Thanks for the tip Spooky, I am not experienced so will follow your advice. Is there a link on how to install this version on a Mac anywhere?
    Thanks for your kind reply.
    Nick

The installation process is not really OS specific. Here is the link to the 3.5 manual: https://docs.contao.org/books/manual...ng-contao.html

User

Default Install Instructions for Mac

Thanks Spooky - A great help. Sorry to bother you with dumb questions!
    I have downloaded Contao 3.5, unzipped it and have moved the folder into the Sites folder (localhost) alongside phpmyadmin and the website I need to edit
    Next I have entered into Terminal curl -L http://download.contao.org/lts | tar -xzp
    LTS version of Contao (3.5):
    All good so far

following the Install guide and where it says: -

To open the Contao install tool, simply add /contao/install.php to the URL of your Contao installation.
    The dumb question is ... what does this mean? Is the URL of the installation the folder I have downloaded?
    Thanks for bearing with me Spooky.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thanks Spooky - A great help. Sorry to bother you with dumb questions!
    I have downloaded Contao 3.5, unzipped it and have moved the folder into the Sites folder (localhost) alongside phpmyadmin and the website I need to edit
    Next I have entered into Terminal curl -L http://download.contao.org/lts | tar -xzp
    LTS version of Contao (3.5):
    All good so far
    I think you misunderstood something there . You didn't need to enter the command into the terminal, because that simply downloads Contao - which you already did.

To open the Contao install tool, simply add /contao/install.php to the URL of your Contao installation.
    The dumb question is ... what does this mean? Is the URL of the installation the folder I have downloaded?
    Thanks for bearing with me Spooky.
    Nick.
    For example http://localhost/your-contao-folder/contao/install.php

User

Again thanks for your patience!
    And thanks for the advice re (For example http://localhost/your-contao-folder/contao/install.php)
    In the browser if I enter http://localhost/nickair/contao/install.php I get The requested URL /nickair/contao/install.php was not found on this server.
    I can get to my localhost via: -
    http://localhost/~nickair/
    Attached is a screen grab of my localhost!
    Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 12.03.30.png

So next dumb question is what am I doing wrong!

Thanks Spooky I owe you a pint!

I am guessing you installed Contao into …/~nickair/contao? Then the URL is http://localhost/~nickair/contao/contao/install.php of course.

User

Default Its starting to happen

Spooky! Great and understood!
    http://localhost/~nickair/contao/contao/install.php
    Gets me to the Contao back end log in.... woopee! But...

At the top it says: -
    Modify files via FTP
    Your server does not support file access via PHP; most likely PHP runs as Apache module under a different user. Therefore please enter your FTP login details, so Contao can modify files via FTP (Safe Mode Hack).

Next dumb questions (and thanks for your kind help Spooky!)
    On this first page (see screen grab) There is a place to enter the FTP hostname ! Is this the Online host FTP where the site resides or the local? If local
    And a place to enter the relative patch to the Contao directory which I presume is: - localhost/~nickair/contao/contao/ Is that right Spooky?
    Do I bother with the secure connection check box?
    What port should it be set to?

Sorry to bother you with more questions! You have been very helpful...
    Nick
    Contao-start.jpg

You either need to modify the rights of your folders or change the user under which the web server is running. You need to make sure, that the user under which the web server is running has sufficient access rights to all the files and folders in ~nickair/contao.

User

Default FTP Host

Thanks Spooky,
    When I set up phpMyAdmin in terminal I set the permissions and user access rights, so I assume that the access to ~nickair/contao should be good! The user name and password are correct, just not clear on -
    The FTP host name, should it be "localhost" ? As this is a local set up! (I was planning on using Navicat for uploading to the webserver!

That 2 pints I owe you!

User

Default Checking permissions

Hi Spooky,
    Sorry to be a pest but just an update! I am going to double check permissions with CHMOD in Terminal on the Contao folder!
    Not done anything yet, just had lunch!
    More later if there is disaster or not!

Thanks again,
    Nick

When I set up phpMyAdmin in terminal I set the permissions and user access rights, so I assume that the access to ~nickair/contao should be good!
    No, that has nothing to do with this issue. phpMyAdmin is for administrating the MySQL users and databases etc.

This issue is about file and folder rights.

The user name and password are correct, just not clear on -
    The FTP host name, should it be "localhost" ? As this is a local set up! (I was planning on using Navicat for uploading to the webserver!
    No, you are misunderstanding. You need to assign the correct file and folder permissions and ownerships to your Contao installation. The PHP process of your webserver must have sufficient access rights for the Contao installation.

Do not use the so called "Safe Mode Hack". Contao prompts you to enter FTP credentials because of insufficient file access rights to the Contao installation and thus it offers you to use the "Safe Mode Hack" - which circumvents the issue by using an FTP server instead for any file and folder operations. But this is not what you should use. You should assign the correct permissions and ownership to the files and folders of the Contao installation.

If you are not sure what to do, you could always just use
    Code:
    chmod -R 777 ./*
    , since it's just your localhost... but you should never do that in a productive environment!

User

Good Job

Hey Spooky you are a star!
    That has worked! Set permissions as suggested and reloaded the contao page and it took me to password set up!
    Brilliant! Sorry for being a numpty!

Next and hopefully the last issue! is the next page that has popped up!
    Is the check database connection window! I presume that now I log into phpMyAdmin and set up a database for the website I need to edit in contao and I call it deardens.ltd.uk as that is the site name. Or does this existing contao web site have one I need to import!?

Hopefully nearly there and last dumbo question - would have been impossible without your help...
    Thanks
    Nick

Yes you need to create a database in phpMyAdmin. The name of the database does not matter, just use "deardens" for example. Then enter the database information (name and credentials) in the Install Tool. After that, Contao will proceed to create all necessary tables.

User

Default Thanks Spooky

Spooky,
    Thank you so much for all your help last week with the install of Contao on the Mac.
    I finished it off this morning and its up and running!

Next I have to find the way to open/import an existing contao website.. I will have a good look on Youtube - The Manual and the web to see if its explained.
    In the meantime Spooky thanks.
    Nick.

Next I have to find the way to open/import an existing contao website..
    Do you mean like a Template?

You could install the Contao Online Demo: https://contao.org/en/extension-list...l_demo.en.html (search for "official_demo" in your Extension Repository).

User

Default Existing site

Hi Spooky, Thanks for getting back to me, very kind of you!

Not really a template! I have a full website that was developed using Contao and now need to edit it in Contao, then get it uploaded with the changes!
    I have downloaded all the files (called deardens.ltd.uk) for this site via an ftp link and the folder is now sat in my "Sites" folder.
    See screen grab for the path!

I presume what I do is ... set up a data base for this site in phpMyAdmin! Then import the appropriate database??
    I have found a file in the deardens.ltd.uk folder called system and in there there is a backup folder and in there is a file called mysql-2.9.5.sql (see path).
    I am guessing that this is the main database file.... or is it!! If it is then once imported to phpMyAdmin I will need to run the install tool in contao again..??
    Is this all correct so far Spooky or am I barking up the wrong tree. Not done anything yet as been searching the web and forums for answers but they are thin on the ground!

Thanks for any help Spooky,
    Nick.
    deardens.ltd.uk.jpg

Ok, first of all, this seems to be an old Contao 2 installation, judging from the name of the SQL file it's probably Contao 2.9.5. If you want to update that installation, you can do the following:
    1. Drop all tables from your current local database (which you created before).
    2. Import mysql-2.9.5.sql via phpMyAdmin to your local database.
    3. Run the Contao Install Tool again and execute all necessary upgrade procedures.
    4. After that you can start re-integrating all necessary extensions and files into the new Contao installation.
    5. You will have to rename the /files folder to /tl_files
    All this might not be an easy task though.
    Last edited by Spooky; 09/19/2016 at 19:06.

User

Default OK - New version on the way!

Thanks Spooky,
    OK a bit Tricky, but I think I can work my way through this. You have given me a clear route!

1. Drop all tables from your current local database (which you created before).
    2. Import mysql-2.9.5.sql via phpMyAdmin to your local database.
    3. Run the Contao Install Tool again and execute all necessary upgrade procedures.
    4. After that you can start re-integrating all necessary extensions and files into the new Contao installation.

If I get stuck I hopefully you will be able to to dig me out! But I will deal with 1 first!
    2! I presume I have to find this version and download it!? and then import it?
    3. OK
    4. Sounds OK but lets see!
    5. As 5!

Again Spooky Thanks.... Working on 1 and 2 now.....
    Nick

2! I presume I have to find this version and download it!? and then import it?
    No, I was talking about the MySQL dump you mentioned .

User

Default OK

OK understood, and that makes sense!
    Thanks! On with it now. Will let you know how it progresses. Thanks Spooky,
    Nick

User

Default All tables droppes

Ok Spooky,
    1. Dropped all tables.
    2. Trying to import data - mysql-2.9.5.sql via phpMyAdmin but the 5.5Mb file is too big, I get the following message: -

No data was received to import. Either no file name was submitted, or the file size exceeded the maximum size permitted by your PHP configuration.

I presume that I need to increase the limit via terminal, just had a quck check and I do not have a .ini file in myphpadmin folder!
    Do I create one? or is it a mod to a ,php file?

Thanks Spooky

No, the limit is configured in your php.ini
    You need to find the php.ini of your web server and do the following for example: http://stackoverflow.com/a/2184541/374996 (set it so 128M or something bigger though)

User

Default No .ini file

Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$ locate php.ini

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
    To create the database, run the following command:

Again thanks for your patience Spooky.
    I do not seem to have a .ini file! I searched via Terminal and got as follows..

Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$ locate php.ini

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
    To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once
    the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

So do I create one?

Read those error messages again, "locate" does not seem to work.
    You can find your php.ini via the phpinfo(); for example. Does your web server has a general info page? What web server are you using anyway?
    Last edited by Spooky; 09/20/2016 at 12:34.

User

Default Found it!

Hi Spooky and thanks,

I searched all over and could noyt find the .ini file so I copied php.ini.default:with ...
    sudo cp /etc/php.ini.default /etc/php.ini
    I logged into my local host via terminal with Nicks-iMac-2:~ nickair$ ssh localhost

Once logged in I found it with: -
    php -i | grep 'Configuration File'
    It was here -
    Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc

Then to open and edit it
    Nicks-iMac-2:etc nickair$ pico php.ini

Found the parts upload_max_filesize = 2M and changed it to 120M and hit ctl O and I do not have permission to save the changes! Dammit.
    Need to set the permissions...
    So backed out and now I guess its a chmod u+w/etc but I need to check that!!!
    Is that correct Spooky?
    Getting there but you were right about it not being that easy!
    Nick.

User

Default Tricky

Hi Spooky,
    Trying to 1. set permissions on the .ini file to I can up the max file size! But having issues with getting permissions changed so far I have tried...

Nicks-iMac-2:etc nickair$ cd /etc
    Nicks-iMac-2:etc nickair$ sudo chown nickair/ect/php.ini
    usage: chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...
    chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...
    Nicks-iMac-2:etc nickair$ chmod 644 /etc/php.ini
    chmod: Unable to change file mode on /etc/php.ini: Operation not permitted

Also the location of this file seems odd as /etc !!!!

Bum!

You could also try to zip (compress) your SQL dump "mysql-2.9.5.sql" and reimport the zipped file with phpMyAdmin.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Default Will give it a go

Many thanks for your help, I am having a "proper bother" with editing the php.ini file, I can get at it, changed the file size and the time zone but on command O - enter - I get Error writing php.ini: Permission denied Even after writing a 755 permission to it via sudo chmod!

But will give your suggestion a try and the zip...

Again thanks to you and Spooky!
    Nick

User

Default Zip worked

Thanks xchs,
    That worked and I have made it to number 3 on Spooky's list! no need to worry right now about mods to the .ini file!
    The data base has appeared in phpMyAdmin! see screen grab.

1. Drop all tables from your current local database (which you created before). DONE
    2. Import mysql-2.9.5.sql via phpMyAdmin to your local database. DONE
    3. Run the Contao Install Tool again and execute all necessary upgrade procedures. DONE I THINK! But will hold off as ....
    Got to here on the install and I get "The database is not up to date!" and a heap of files, all with the tl suffix! Clicking the update button does nothing!

So quick dumb questions - apologies! But do I crack on with 4 and log in to the back end of Contao or do I go to phpMyAdmin and start to implement 5 on Spooky's list?
    In phpMyAdmin

Again thank you both for your help.
    Nick.

Contao-Install.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got to here on the install and I get "The database is not up to date!" and a heap of files, all with the tl suffix! Clicking the update button does nothing!
    Nothing happens, because you did not activate any of these commands. However you should not do this anyway, because those commands will delete data from the database. Contao probably wants to delete those fields because the extensions are still missing. So for now, leave it as it is.

Did all other upgrade procedure run through? Something like "Contao 3.2 upgrade", "Contao 3.3 upgrade" , "…"

User

Default confirmed

Hi Spooky,

Ref: -

Did all other upgrade procedure run through? Something like "Contao 3.2 upgrade", "Contao 3.3 upgrade" , "…"

Yes, all this happened, and I went through the process of clicking the various upgrades!

Not done anything since then as not sure whats next!

User

Default Nearly but not quite!

Thanks for all your help with this, must be very frustrating to deal with the newbies! But I seem to be close now.
    I will save where I am with a system back up and start to look at re-integrating all necessary extensions and files into the new Contao installation
    As a starting point I will do some research in the forums, but my first guess would be to check what has made it into phpmyadmin and what has not!

But in the meantime if you get a chance to help me with the next direction I would be very grateful. :-)

User

Default Extensions Manager

Hello Spoooky,
    I have done a bit of research now!
    Have left the install stage alone as it says Contao is succesfully installed.
    Logged into the Backend to check "Settings, Maintenance, or Extensions Manager" but they are all missing! Under system I only have File Manager and Restore!
    See screen grab!

What have I done wrong!?

Thanks for any advice.

Contao-Loaded.jpg

This looks like the user "nick" does not have administrator rights.

User

Default Permissions

Thanks for this Spooky - Yup that makes sense!
    I have inherited this site and was given a user name and a password, but checking the localconfig.php file in the config folder of the site I can see that the dbUser and dbPass are different to the ones that I have! I will try to install using the ones in the ones in the config file. This may give me the rights needed!
    Will keep you posted. Again thanks,
    Nick

Hi, the database credentials don't matter for the back end login.

Please see this FAQ page for resetting the administrator password:

https://contao.org/en/frequently-ask...-password.html
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Default Thanks ...again!

After much ado! I seem to have found the administrator problem!

Even after I reset my user password in the tl_users set up, the Contao back end log in would let me in, but with no administrator rights! In fact with less than I had when I started! So I confirmed all the database user permissions in phpMyAdmin "Privileges"on me and yes all set up, all granted.
    So back into edit me in the tl_users file in the data base and...

The site I have inherited had 4 tl_users set up! I was editing the user nick, but when I compared the settings with another user, they had a different set of Binary - do not edit (0 B) options checked. So I copied this user, changed the user name and password, saved the changes with GO.
    Back to Contao back end log in, user name and password entered and I am in Contao with what I assume is full administrator privileges.
    See attached.. Phew. xchs thank you! Now on with.... 4 and 5 On Spooky's list!

4. After that you can start re-integrating all necessary extensions and files into the new Contao installation. Starting with extensions manager!! Now I have it!

Again thanks chaps, you have been brilliant. Its turning into a long thread it may help the newcomers!
    And I may .... expect to be back soon with more trouble..... Either way I will keep you posted, looking forward to using Contao....

Contao-On-Mac-22916.jpg!
    Last edited by Nick; 09/22/2016 at 22:12.

User

Default Extensions

Sorry... back again!
    Bit too quickly for my liking but...

And thanks if you can check that I am doing the right thing!
    Do not wish to cause any issues at this stage..
    See attached screen grab.

I rebuilt the cache!

The extensions all seem to be Not approved for Contao 3.5.16, but some have a newer version available and one is Corrupted.
    I started with only ajax and selected it, hit the green update button, new screen with a repair option, nothing happened! So back to extension manager and my next guess is to select ajax and hit install extension and then update database!
    But better check with you chaps first as I may be very wrong!

Extensions.jpg
    Last edited by Nick; 09/22/2016 at 16:21.