Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing on a Mac running El Capitan

Hi, can you please show a screenshot of your /Sites/contao/system/modules directory?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Default Modules Directory

xchs, Thanks for getting back to me on this, and for your kind help.

Attached is the screen shot of the modules directory, hope it helps. I have not run any updates on extensions yet!
    Nick.

Modules-Directory.jpg

User

Default second set of modules

xchs,
    It occurred to me that you should also see the attached! May be irrelevant but in the site folder there is the site deardens.ltd.uk.
    Within this folder is a Contao folder and a system folder. The screen shot route /Sites/deardens.ltd.uk/system/modules is attached for info.
    A different module set appears!

Might not be relevant but just in case I am sending it through FYI.
    Again many thanks.
    Nick.

Attachment 140

Hi Nick, thanks. That confirms what I've suspected. Since you have installed a new "vanilla" Contao 3.5.16, all the extension from the Contao 2.9.5 installation are missing there. What you see in your Contao 3.5.16 back end are only the database references to the previously installed extensions from the old Contao 2.9.5 installation (see e.g. your screenshot here).

Therefore, the next steps would be:
    • copy all extension folders from your /Sites/deardens.ltd.uk/system/modules/ directory to /Sites/contao/system/modules/ (attention: don't copy the backend, calendar, comments, faq, frontend, listing, news, newsletter, registration, rep_base, rep_client, rss_reader, tpl_editor since this core extensions are already there)
    • switch to your Contao 3.5.16 back end, open the "Extension manager" back end module and update the extensions one by one (where possible)
    → Support options

Though repairing the extensions via the extension repository should suffice, should it not? That should be the safest way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I started with only ajax and selected it, hit the green update button, new screen with a repair option, nothing happened! So back to extension manager and my next guess is to select ajax and hit install extension and then update database!
    I doubt nothing happened. Is there an "ajax.php" in your Contao installation's root directory now? If yes, then the repair was successful. I recommend repairing and/or updating all the extensions.

Some of these extensions might not work in Contao 3 anymore. Some of those might even break your Contao installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Though repairing the extensions via the extension repository should suffice, should it not?
    Usually yes, that's right. I have not checked yet, but there could be some deprecated extensions that are no longer present in the ER.
    → Support options

User

Default Ajax

Dear xchs and Spooky,
    Attached screenshot showing Sites/Contao/ajax.php looks like this was created yesterday when I was testing extension installations.
    However in the extensions manager window ajax still shows up as not approved for Contao 3.5.16. But if I select the install extension with ajax selected I get taken to the download update ajax version 1.1.16!
    I have not followed this through yet! So still got Ajax 1.1.1

So do I crack on and copy all relevant extensions from Deardens.ltd Contao folder to Contao modules folder!
    Or go back to the back end and continue one by one as per Ajax!? ... where possible noted!

Again gents thank so much for you professional help. Invaluable.
    Nick.

Ajax.jpg
    Extensions.jpg

However in the extensions manager window ajax still shows up as not approved for Contao 3.5.16.
    That's normal. Many of those extensions are not maintained anymore. The [ajax] Extension for example is listed as compatible with Contao 2.9.0 to Contao 3.1.0 in its latest version. You have Contao 3.5.16 - that's why the Extension Repository marks it as "not approved for Contao 3.5.16".

But if I select the install extension with ajax selected I get taken to the download update ajax version 1.1.16!
    I have not followed this through yet! So still got Ajax 1.1.1
    It should be safe to update that extension. But as I said, even after updating, it will be listed as "not approved …".

So do I crack on and copy all relevant extensions from Deardens.ltd Contao folder to Contao modules folder!
    Or go back to the back end and continue one by one as per Ajax!? ... where possible noted!
    I recommend the latter.

User

Default OK Extensions update

Thanks again,
    I will be working my way through this and will get back to the posting with an update at some point over the weekend.
    Ajax compatibility noted, but I will update anyway.
    I will work my way through one by one and if I hit trouble I will try the option of copying the problem module over.
    More later and thanks - have a good weekend.
    Nick.

User

Default Update on installation

Sorry for the delay in progress report!
    Well it was going to plan re extensions install and update last Friday!

1. Ajax
    2. backend_filterwiz
    3. backend_filtertree
    4. calender_tabletree

And then tried with 5. catalog and hit a glitch!
    I use Chrome as a browser and as soon as I installed this one Chrome decided that it could no longer connect to http://localhost/~nickair/contao/contao/ or http://localhost/~nickair/contao/contao/install.php
    Message Cannot connect to .....
    I run half hourly back up's! And tried to step back an hour, Shut everything down and ran a restart!
    But the Mac crashed and decided it could not find the system!
    So I gave up and went to the pub! Leaving the battle for Monday!

Well back at it! Managed to restore the system and got back to where I was last Friday am
    Contao back up and running but no extensions installed yet. I plan to get back to no 4 above and skip 5 until the very last extension module!
    Then try to the copy catalog module from deardens.ltd Contao modules folder to the Sites Contao modules folder. There may be more trouble to come, but this is where I am!

Thanks again for your help,
    Nick.

User

Again, all was going well I left out catalog and catalog_fieldshortener as they are both "beta" files but CD-DynamicTable tripped me up with the same issue as last time... screen grab attached for info. I will try a backwards step again and leave this out and perhaps try a copy!

Not sure if this is going to work out, but will give it a go !!

Nick

localhost!.jpg

User

Default Copy method

Well I have tried the copy of files over to the Contao modules folder and all is well...
    That is until I select one and try to update it! As soon as I do I get the same screen.
    Tried all three browsers - Safari - Crome and Firefox no joy in any.

It seems that when I copy all the modules over into the Contao modules folder from the deardens.ltd.uk modules folder and then log into the back end all looks good!
    But as soon as I try to update I get this screen..
    Drat......

localhost!.jpg

Hi, you get an Internal Server Error (Error 500). You should check the error_log file what's causing this error. If you don't know the location of the error log file you can create a new PHP file "phpinfo.php" in the Contao root directory (i.e. /Sites/contao/) containing this PHP code:
    PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    Run this PHP file by opening http://localhost/~nickair/contao/phpinfo.php and search for error_log.
    → Support options

User

Default New file created

Hi xchs,
    And thanks again.

Unfortunately I do not know the location of the error_log so I have created a new new PHP file "phpinfo.php" in the Contao root directory (i.e. /Sites/contao/) containing this PHP code: <?php phpinfo(); ?> Screen grab attached to show that phpinfo.php has appeared next to index.php!

I can access the php file by http://localhost/~nickair/contao/phpinfo.php this works!
    I have searched for error_log and one instance shows up, Local Value and Master Value both show as "no value. See screen grab.

Do I need to reset this setting to enable the reading of errors to help me track down what is causing the Internal Server Error (Error 500)? Thank you sooo much for your help.
    Nick.

Error_log.jpg
    contao-directory-update.jpg

User

Default Progress perhaps

Just been checking on various blogs and sites and Apache2 could be the problem!

http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2015/...l-capitan.html

So I plan to give it a go with the following mods to the vhost file: -

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "/Users/nickair/Sites/contao"
    ServerName localhost
    ErrorLog "/private/var/log/apache2/site-error_log"
    CustomLog "/private/var/log/apache2/site-access_log" common
    <Directory "/Users/nickair/Sites">
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
    </Directory>

Any thoughts on this one before I hit the buttons!

Did you found the Apache error log file, e.g. there: /var/log/apache2/error_log ?
    → Support options

User

Default Error Log

Hi xchs,

Thanks again!
    No I was just searching the web for possible causes!

I followed the advice re:

xchs
    Hi, you get an Internal Server Error (Error 500). You should check the error_log file what's causing this error. If you don't know the location of the error log file you can create a new PHP file "phpinfo.php" in the Contao root directory (i.e. /Sites/contao/) containing this PHP code:
    PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    Run this PHP file by opening http://localhost/~nickair/contao/phpinfo.php and search for error_log.
    I did this and all good but after searching http://localhost/~nickair/contao/phpinfo.php for the error_log only one instance of the log showed up, Local Value and Master Value both show as "no value". See screen grab. So I got a bit stuck and resorted to Google! And found the Apache reference, but have done nothing with it yet.
    Thought I had best wait until I got some feedback on the phpinfo.php error_log! as per attached. As I am not sure where to look for error_logs

Thanks again xchs,
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick; 09/28/2016 at 15:29.

I did this and all good but after searching http://localhost/~nickair/contao/phpinfo.php for the error_log only one instance of the log showed up, Local Value and Master Value both show as "no value". See screen grab.
    Yes, I had already seen that.

As I am not sure where to look for error_logs
    Look here: /var/log/apache2/error_log
    → Support options

User

Default OK

xchs - Sorry for being a dumbo!

OK found the error log, But have run a restore to last Friday on the hard disk to square 1 me, but this is the contents of that file!

AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using ::1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
    [Tue Sep 27 23:10:55.241819 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 60] AH00163: Apache/2.4.18 (Unix) PHP/5.5.36 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue Sep 27 23:10:55.241868 2016] [core:notice] [pid 60] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND'
    [Wed Sep 28 10:08:04.987532 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 60] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using ::1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
    [Wed Sep 28 10:08:35.511100 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 87] AH00163: Apache/2.4.18 (Unix) PHP/5.5.36 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Wed Sep 28 10:08:35.511153 2016] [core:notice] [pid 87] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND'

Okay, thanks. Can you please go to the Contao back end and try to run the extension update again where you previously got the Error 500 (Internal Server Error). After that, check the error_log again.
    → Support options

User

Default Step by Step

Hi xchs,

Walked my way back through this and made screen grabs as I went! Trying to be a clear as possible!
    With a restore I was able to start afresh! And managed to log into the backend with no error 500!
    Backend-log-in-before-update.jpg

1. Copied all modules from Sites/Deardens.ltd.uk/system/modules/ to Sites/contao/system/modules/ as per screen grab No1 Copy-Over-Modules. Note red flags show the ones not to copy!

However just in case its important! There is 1 module in the Sites/Deardens.ltd.uk/system/modules/ that is not in the backend Contao Extensions manager list or the Sites/contao/system/modules/ ! Its called -
    z_custombemodule, so left alone for now! Its the last one on the backend list!
    Copy-Over-Modules.jpg

And there are four modules appearing in the backend extensions manager list that do not appear in the Sites/Deardens.ltd.uk/system/modules/ or the Sites/contao/system/modules/ Could not copy them as they wre not there to copy and could not get to update them as read on I went to error 500 before I got to them!
    See screen grab no 2. Extensions-Update-No 1
    Extensions-Update-No-1.jpg

2. Logged into the backend selected the first extension to update = backend_filterwix and after selecting the update option It went straight to the Error 500.
    So I went straight to /var/log/apache2/error_log and the file reads as per next screen grab. error_log-after-no-1
    error_log-after-No-1.jpg

3. So while I was in there I had a look at the access_log in case it can throw some light on things!
    Attached access-log-after-No-1
    access_log-after-No-1.jpg

Sorry to bombard you with files but I thought it may help to get to the bottom of this one! Too much information perhaps but just in case it helps!
    Again thanks for your continued patience with me and for persistence!
    I hope the aforementioned helps!
    Nick.

Seems like the error it's not being tracked by this error_log file in /var/log/apache2/. It could well be that it is logged somewhere else, like /private/var/log/apache2/site-error_log (see e.g. your post #56) if you have set a custom vhost configuration (or the like).

BTW: The module directory "z_custombemodule" belongs to the [custom_be_modules] extension. You can safely install this extension from the Extension catalog or from the Extension manager so that you have the extension reference listed in the back end as well.
    → Support options

Quote Originally Posted by xchs View Post
    BTW: The module directory "z_custombemodule" belongs to the [custom_be_modules] extension. You can safely install this extension from the Extension catalog or from the Extension manager so that you have the extension reference listed in the back end as well.
    Install into Contao 3.5? I don't think so, and I am quite sure that all parts of the Catalog extension won't run, too.

User

Default Options

Hi xchs, and thanks for the note Lucina,

I don't seem to have a /private/var/log/apache2/site-error_log!
    Located here, but I do have /private/var/log/apache2/error_log!
    The contents of this file appear to be the same as the last error log!

private:var:log:apache2:.png

I have not yet followed up on my post #56 but perhaps thats the next move!
    My options seem to be: -
    1. Keep at it trying to solve the integration of a 2.9.5 database with Contao 3.5.16 and find the errors, but there seems to be some doubt that this database will run in 3.5!
    2. Revert back to the running version of Contao that I have stored as a back up! And accept the fact that the old Contao website is in the too hard box! Start again and build from scratch in 3.5.16!
    3. Or should I consider installing the old version of Contao (Contao 2.9.5) !? Would this be more compatible?

Again thanks for any advice.
    Nick.
    Last edited by Nick; 09/29/2016 at 12:58. Reason: Missed out the title!