Thread: Problem with SSL certificate and Contao?

New user

Default Problem with SSL certificate and Contao?

Hi,

I have a really hard time finding out what's wrong with a customer page, which got reported several times by visitors for not showing correctly (attachement) or being warned to access the page.

I can't reproduce the error and people who reported it where using different Firefox distributions and different OS (Win7/8/10 and Max OS X).

IMHO it's due to people not having done any updates recently, since they are forced to use the latest SSL sertificate on the server - but: maybe I'm all wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which Contao Version? Are you using the Page Cache?

New user

Contao 3.5.28 - and: yes.

When using the Contao Page Cache you need to make absolutely sure, that no requests can be made via http:// - otherwise the cache will be filled with the wrong <base href> (see https://github.com/contao/core/issues/8531). As far as I can see, you are already redirecting any HTTP request to HTTPS, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Does this problem occur only on specific URLs?

New user

Even worse: It occurs completely random. :D Different OS, usually Firefox. Same day the error happens, get's reported, then I ask for a screenshot, error disappeared - 2 hours later I get a call with the "same" (I bet it differs.) error on another page.

But you got me an idea... Actually I CAN reproduce one error: If I mistype a subfolder I get this - the correct version.

EDIT: This seems to be cause, because I just remembered that one of the users reported he tried to go to that subfolder in the attachement via the old, redirected subfolder.

EDIT2: Great, now I get the error w/o www. too. :D
    Last edited by TKalwass; 08/08/2017 at 15:23.

New user

Got the solution. SSL certs are missing for those URLs.

That'll be lotta fun, since the whole domain consists of dozens of old subfolders, that are redirected...

Hm, what exactly do you mean by "dozens of old subfolders, that are redirected"? Why does the Domain www.support.datafox.de exist at all?

New user

Well, 6 "SEOs" in 5 years... Everyone had, afaik, another great idea how to optimize the site. My original job was just to upgrade the whole thing to 4.x and to ensure everything still works. :D Well, I feel like a gravedigger, atm my subdomain count is at 16 - w/o www.sub.main.tld ...

The www. thingys are gonna kicked out soon.
    Last edited by TKalwass; 08/08/2017 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by TKalwass View Post
    Well, 6 "SEOs" in 5 years... Everyone had, afaik, another great idea how to optimize the site.
    My condolences :D

Quote Originally Posted by TKalwass View Post
    The www. thingys are gonna kicked out soon.
    Alright

New user

And back I am - people wanna keep the www. (for cosmetic reasons), so I'll order a SSL cert that was fourth level subdomains. It's useless anyway, since the htaccess is executed afterwards, so I'll never get around this problem with a reroute anyway.