Thread: Migration of extensions from contao 3 to contao 4

New user

Default Migration of extensions from contao 3 to contao 4

Hi,I'm new to contao . How to migrate an extension from contao 3 to conto 4 ??? Please provide me any reference.

Any Contao 3(.5) Extension is in principle compatible with Contao 4. There are some things that you need to upgrade though, see https://github.com/contao/core-bundl...ter/UPGRADE.md

You need to be more specific what exactly you want to do.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by aswathy View Post
    Hi,I'm new to contao . How to migrate an extension from contao 3 to conto 4 ??? Please provide me any reference.

I install the extension custom_module (comptibility : Contao from 3.2.0 to 3.5.28 ).I need to make this extension works in contao 4.4

You can install this extension manually in Contao 4. Simply download it, put the contao-custom_module-master folder into the system/modules folder of your Contao 4 installation and then rename it to custom_module

If you successfully tested this extension I can make a PR so that it is available via Packagist for Contao 4.
    Last edited by Spooky; 09/14/2017 at 09:55.

Btw. the functionality of the custom_module Extension can be achieved without it too. Simply create a Template that starts with mod_html_ or ce_html_ (depending on whether you want to create a Module or Content Element), create a new HTML Module or Content Element and then select this template. In the HTML field, simply put in any HTML comment, e.g.
    HTML Code:
    <!-- my template -->

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    You can install this extension manually in Contao 4. Simply download it, put the contao-custom_module-master folder into the system/modules folder of your Contao 4 installation and then rename it to custom_module

If you successfully tested this extension I can make a PR so that it is available via Packagist for Contao 4.

I manually installed the extension.Updated the database.But It doesn't appear in the backend template module.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Btw. the functionality of the custom_module Extension can be achieved without it too. Simply create a Template that starts with mod_html_ or ce_html_ (depending on whether you want to create a Module or Content Element), create a new HTML Module or Content Element and then select this template. In the HTML field, simply put in any HTML comment, e.g.
    HTML Code:
    <!-- my template -->
    Thank you for your valuable information. But I need basic guidelines for compatibility fix from 3 to 4
    Last edited by aswathy; 09/14/2017 at 11:19.

I manually installed the extension.Updated the database.But It doesn't appear in the backend template module.
    Did you delete the cache manually after manually installing it? i.e. deleting var/cache/prod (and may be var/cache/dev too). You need to do that before opening the Contao Install Tool.

But I need basic guidelines for compatibility fix from 3 to 4
    As I said, any extension that works in Contao 3.5.28+ should also work in Contao 4. There are some exceptions, since some things have changed in Contao 4 (see the aforementioned UPGRADE.md). But in general Contao 3 extensions are compatible with Contao 4. You do not need to change anything in general. Thus you need to ask more specifically what you are trying to do.