Thread: Editing my theme doesn't work.

New user

Default Editing my theme doesn't work.

I am trying to edit the head of my theme, but nothing seems to work. On the left, under "templates", I click on "fe_page_websitename" and make changes, but they're not reflected in my site at all. I even deleted the whole thing to test it, and the website still ran completely as normal.

The website is www.onestopalternatives.co.uk

So I'm wondering, where should I be editing the code?

Running Contao Open Source CMS 3.5.6.

Go to "Layout" > "Themes", edit the "Page layouts" (= third last icon), there you should see one or more page layouts, edit the page layout(s). In the "Front end modules" section you should see all the front end modules that are included in the page layout. Pretty sure there are also front end modules which are assigned to the header.

Regarding the page template you should check the "Expert settings". There you can see which page template fe_* is selected and used for this layout.
    Last edited by xchs; 12/08/2017 at 11:12.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Thank you very much xchs

When I look at the "expert settings" for this page, I see the assigned "page template" is called "fe_page". However, this isn't a template I can see on my templates list, I only see "fe_page_alternatives". Any idea what could be causing this?

New user

I fixed this myself, and wanted to share how in case someone else has the same problem.

In templates, I went to "New Template" and selected "fe_page".

Now I saw fe_page in the list, and it turns out it's the template used for the page! Editing it successfully edited my site.

FYI: Of course, it also works with custom template names (as long as they start with the predefined prefix), so fe_page_alternatives as page template name should work fine.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options