Thread: Newsletter (phishing warning notice)

User

Default Newsletter (phishing warning notice)

Hi All,

When I send out my newsletter via Contao, my mailing list receives a phishing warning notice at the top of the email. Please see attached.

At first I thought it was just gmail but it turns out everyone on my mailing list, regardless of email provider, is receiving the same warning notice. I don't understand why this is happening but I need to make it stop. What should I do on the back end to discontinue this warning notice ?

Thanks,

ally1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the sender email address belong to the site domain?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

No actually, I chose gmail for the sender email because I'd been having such trouble with the server emails. For the past few years, sender emails haven't been processing correctly; either outgoing messages don't deliver to the recipient or incoming messages don't arrive. I've asked my hosting company for help on this many times but this weird issue persists so I gave up and went straight to my back up gmail account instead.

Is there anything I can do to turn off that warning besides go back to my server email ? Otherwise, I suppose I can contact my hosting company again. Thx.

Have you configured Contao to send via Gmail SMTP server?
    → Support options

User

I didn't realize I could do that. Where can I find instructions ? I'm still using an old version; Contao 3.5.3.

You can set that here: System > Settings > SMTP configuration
    → Support options

User

Wait, that should be under Systems Settings. I'll try this first and see if it works.

User

I tried both through Systems Settings and Custom SMTP Configuration > Custom SMTP server within Newsletter and neither worked. I can't send a preview when I enter my gmail SMTP info but when I return it to localhost, it works just fine.

User

Sorry ! I didn't see your last message before I figured out where I should have been looking for instructions. Thanks for the quick response !

I did try Systems Settings but as soon as I enter the gmail smtp info, the newsletter stops working. Not sure what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by xchs View Post
    You can set that here: System > Settings > SMTP configuration

Did you also set your Google email address there?

• Layout > Site structure > Root page settings > E-mail address of the website administrator
    • System > Settings > E-mail address of the system administrator
    → Support options

User

Hi, I tried as you suggested but it didn't work either. I'm using version 3.5.3. Not sure if that makes a difference.

User

I figured it out ! From the individual newsletter articles, I originally put in my preferred email address in the field that reads "Sender address". This time, I left it blank.

Now when I send the newsletter, it refers to the email address listed under "Global Settings" inside of the Root page > E-mail address of the website administrator, as you'd first suggested. The phishing warning notice is gone ! Such a relief ! I kept receiving messges from my mailing list about this problem and now it's finally over.

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me ! I really appreciate it.

ally1