Thread: How to install extensions in Contao 4.8.3

User

Default How to install extensions in Contao 4.8.3

Hello!
    I have installed Contao Version 4.8.3 with composer. Now, I don't understand how to install extensions, themes... There is no any extensions manager in back end!

You can install extensions via Composer on the console or via Contao Manager. You can also find a link to the Contao Manager in the Contao Backend.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Default link to the Contao Manager in the Contao Backend

Thank you! I have succeeded to install via composer a couple of extensions but this is not good option for ordinary users (for website owners).
    It would be very nice to have the Extrensions Manager in back end as in older versions. You say, there is a link to Contao Manager in back end... it sounds nice but I am sorry, I spent some hours yesterday searching the manager and could not find any link. Please, explain where is this link in back end?

First, I tried to install the Contao with Contao Manager and could not finish installation. It asks at the end for some updates, I do update then it starts again from the beginning and asks again for update and this process is endless...
    So, the only way I could it install is by Composer. And after this installation I would like to install the Contao Manager, to have it in back end.
    Last edited by amida; 09/19/2019 at 11:11.

• Download the contao-manager.phar from contao.org: https://contao.org/en/download.html
    • Transfer the contao-manager.phar to the web/ folder (= the DocumentRoot of the domain) of your website
    • Rename the contao-manager.phar file to contao-manager.phar.php and open it in your browser (e.g. https://example.com/contao-manager.phar.php)

You should now have the link to the Contao Manager in the Contao back end, too.
    → Support options

User

Thank you!

I followed your instruction and I can access now the Contao manager by http://contao4.loc/contao-manager.phar.php/ but in Contao admin panel is no any link to the manager. The browser was updated.

In the manager, I created an account, then
    Configuration: Other
    PHP Binary:
    I tried both, the path inside of Docker container as well as outside.
    from inside:

witdh the command whereis php
    /usr/lib64/php
    /usr/local/bin/php
    /usr/local/etc/php
    /usr/local/lib/php
    /usr/local/php

From outside of container:

whereis php

/usr/bin/php
    /usr/bin/php7.2
    /usr/lib/php
    etc...

So, I tried all of them separately bu none of them is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by amida View Post
    but in Contao admin panel is no any link to the manager.
    Actually, the link should be there:

cm.png

So, I tried all of them separately bu none of them is accepted.
    This might be related to your local development environment or PHP configuration.

What do you get if you run
    Code:
    /usr/bin/php web/contao-manager.phar.php test
    or
    Code:
    /usr/local/php web/contao-manager.phar.php test
    ?

Did you enable the PHP proc_open extension in your PHP configuration?
    Last edited by xchs; 09/19/2019 at 20:09.
    → Support options

User

After you've told me about local development environment or PHP configuration I remembered that earlier I had problems with PHP and Apache settings in DevilBox.
    I could not get DocumentRoot folder for Shopware 6. The DocumentRoot there is _DEVELOPMENT_DIR_/public similar to Contao 4 - DOCUMENT_ROOT/web
    https://docs.shopware.com/en/shopwar...allation-guide

That time I just put a php.ini from XAMPP in that folder and it worked.
    Now I remover that php.ini and did the settings according to DevilBox documentation https://devilbox.readthedocs.io/en/l...s/php-ini.html

I have also changed the Apache settings from:

Code:
        # Define the vhost to serve files
        DocumentRoot "__DOCUMENT_ROOT__/web"
        <Directory "__DOCUMENT_ROOT__/web">
            DirectoryIndex __INDEX__

AllowOverride All
            Options All

RewriteEngine on
            RewriteBase /

Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
            Require all granted
        </Directory>
    to

Code:
        # Define the vhost to serve files
        DocumentRoot "__DOCUMENT_ROOT__/web"
        <Directory "__DOCUMENT_ROOT__">
            DirectoryIndex __INDEX__

AllowOverride All
            Options All

RewriteEngine on
            RewriteBase /

Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
            Require all granted
        </Directory>
    Now it works without XAMPP php.ini for both, Shopware and Contao.

The Contao Manager now accepts the PHP binary /usr/local/bin/php and it runs, but the Server Configuration circle is Yellow.
    If I change the Configuration to XAMPP(Windows) - all are green.

The Contao Manager link shows up in back end just when I switch on Debug Mode.

Running
    Code:
    I get
    Code:
    /usr/bin/php: No such file or directory
    Running
    Code:
    /usr/local/php web/contao-manager.phar.php test
    I get
    Code:
    /usr/local/php: Is a directory
    proc_open extension - I don't know what is that. If I should enable it, please tell me how.

but the Server Configuration circle is Yellow.
    This is normal when you select the option for an individual configuration.

Running
    Code:
    I get
    Code:
    /usr/bin/php: No such file or directory
    Where did you run the command? You must run the command in the Contao root directory and make sure that the contao-manager.phar.php is in the web/ subdirectory. But you don't need to do that anymore, because the Contao Manager has already found the path to the PHP binary.

Do you get no error message with debug mode enabled or what exactly is the problem right now?
    → Support options

User

It works with commands php and /usr/local/bin/php, see the screenshot

manager.jpg

Right now the Manager problem is that it does not appear in back end. It appears just when I switch on debug mode.

in var/logs there are the following logs

Code:
    [2019-09-20 10:54:38] request.INFO: Matched route "contao_backend". {"route":"contao_backend","route_parameters":{"_route":"contao_backend","_scope":"backend","_token_check":true,"_controller":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Controller\\BackendController::mainAction"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/contao","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:38] security.DEBUG: Read existing security token from the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend","token_class":"Symfony\\Component\\Security\\Core\\Authentication\\Token\\UsernamePasswordToken"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:38] security.DEBUG: User was reloaded from a user provider. {"provider":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Security\\User\\ContaoUserProvider","username":"admin"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:38] security.DEBUG: Stored the security token in the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:38] request.INFO: Matched route "_wdt". {"route":"_wdt","route_parameters":{"_route":"_wdt","_controller":"web_profiler.controller.profiler::toolbarAction","token":"fd863d"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/_wdt/fd863d","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:41] request.INFO: Matched route "contao_backend". {"route":"contao_backend","route_parameters":{"_route":"contao_backend","_scope":"backend","_token_check":true,"_controller":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Controller\\BackendController::mainAction"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/contao?do=debug&key=disable&ref=rn1C5nAG&referer=","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:41] security.DEBUG: Read existing security token from the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend","token_class":"Symfony\\Component\\Security\\Core\\Authentication\\Token\\UsernamePasswordToken"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:41] security.DEBUG: User was reloaded from a user provider. {"provider":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Security\\User\\ContaoUserProvider","username":"admin"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:42] security.DEBUG: Stored the security token in the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:46] request.INFO: Matched route "contao_backend". {"route":"contao_backend","route_parameters":{"_route":"contao_backend","_scope":"backend","_token_check":true,"_controller":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Controller\\BackendController::mainAction"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/contao","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:46] security.DEBUG: Read existing security token from the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend","token_class":"Symfony\\Component\\Security\\Core\\Authentication\\Token\\UsernamePasswordToken"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:46] security.DEBUG: User was reloaded from a user provider. {"provider":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Security\\User\\ContaoUserProvider","username":"admin"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:46] security.DEBUG: Stored the security token in the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:46] request.INFO: Matched route "_wdt". {"route":"_wdt","route_parameters":{"_route":"_wdt","_controller":"web_profiler.controller.profiler::toolbarAction","token":"66c0b4"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/_wdt/66c0b4","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:52] request.INFO: Matched route "contao_backend". {"route":"contao_backend","route_parameters":{"_route":"contao_backend","_scope":"backend","_token_check":true,"_controller":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Controller\\BackendController::mainAction"},"request_uri":"http://contao44.loc/contao?do=debug&key=disable&ref=fjjc5i3L&referer=","method":"GET"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:52] security.DEBUG: Read existing security token from the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend","token_class":"Symfony\\Component\\Security\\Core\\Authentication\\Token\\UsernamePasswordToken"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:52] security.DEBUG: User was reloaded from a user provider. {"provider":"Contao\\CoreBundle\\Security\\User\\ContaoUserProvider","username":"admin"} []
    [2019-09-20 10:54:52] security.DEBUG: Stored the security token in the session. {"key":"_security_contao_backend"} []

User

I don't know how to use debug mode panel from Symfony but there are also different logs

I am not sure that they are relevant but I post 2 screenshots

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sorry, but in your opening post you were talking about Contao Version 4.8.3. Your screenshot shows contao44.loc, so I guess it's about Contao 4.4 now. Just to be clear: Are we talking about Contao 4.4 now?

In the Contao 4.4 back end there is no link to the Contao Manager yet.
    → Support options

User

Sorry that I forgot to prevent this confusion sending the screenshots.
    No, these are bot Contao 4 last versions.
    contao4 and contao44 are just domain names on my computer. I had to give them different names.
    First one is with Mate template issue and the second is wit Contao Manager issue.

In DevilBox they look like this

vh.jpg
    Last edited by amida; 09/20/2019 at 16:09.

User

I have created a bug report on Github

Thank you for support!
    Last edited by amida; 09/20/2019 at 17:45.

User

The issue with Contao Manager in back end can be considered solved.

So, after installation of Contao Manager is is necessary:
    1. to update all extensions found by Manager in Contao CMS
    2. to update the database (after extensions update to click on green button "update db")

and then it appears in back end!
    Last edited by amida; 09/20/2019 at 20:13.

Documentation is coming in and we need your help! https://contao.org/en/news/the-state...mentation.html
    Regards

Yanick - Contao core developer @terminal42 gmbh