Thread: Upgrdae from 3.5.40 to 4.4 results in loss of content format

New user

Default Upgrdae from 3.5.40 to 4.4 results in loss of content format

I have been forded to do a local upgrade of our live website because our hosting package server has a CPU Usage and I/O Usage cap which results in the failure of any upgrade attempt.

I have successfully upgraded 3.5.40 to 4.4 using xampp on my laptop, but when I upload it to our web server with the upgraded database there is a loss of all the content formatting even though all the content is present resulting in a web site that looks like it was designed in the 90s. I have full access to the back end and using contao-manager all seems to be up to date.

How do you include the external stylesheets?

Did you set all the folders that should be accessible via HTTPS to "Public"? Try to recreate the symlinks via "Maintenance" back end module.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Quote Originally Posted by xchs View Post
    How do you include the external stylesheets?

Did you set all the folders that should be accessible via HTTPS to "Public"? Try to recreate the symlinks via "Maintenance" back end module.
    I just transferred all the files from my local site to a subdomain, imported the database and modified the parameters.yml so that Contao would use the imported database. The folders where already set to "public" before everything was uploaded, I have check and they still are.

Sorry but don't know how to recreate the symlinks via "Maintenance" back end module.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
    I just transferred all the files from my local site to a subdomain
    If you do it this way you might have lost all the symlinks.

To move a Contao 4 installation, proceed as described here: https://erdmann-freunde.de/logbuch/contao-4-4-umziehen/ (I know it's in German, but you can use a translation service if necessary)

Sorry but don't know how to recreate the symlinks via "Maintenance" back end module.
    Log into the Contao administration area (aka Contao back end) > System > Maintenance > Select the "Recreate the symlinks" maintenance job > Purge data
    → Support options

New user

Tried that and no luck. The host server does not have the capacity to do the upgrade there and the local copy was working perfectly before I uploaded it. I have referred to the link you provided but there is nothing there that seems to be of help. I have noticed that in the error log I am getting entries with "Uncaught PHP Exception Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\Exception\NotFoundHtt pException: "Page not found"" for a js, css and png file yet they are present and exactly where they are supposed to be.

New user

Default Fixed it

Success!!!

I had to delete the following.

system/config/tcpdf.php
    web/assets
    web/system/themes
    system/logs

Then in a terminal run composer install -o

I have referred to the link you provided but there is nothing there that seems to be of help.
    Really? I can't believe that. Everything described there is correct!

I had to delete the following.

system/config/tcpdf.php
    web/assets
    web/system/themes
    system/logs
    This are exactly all the symlinks that were converted to folders while uploading to the live server.
    → Support options

New user

Quote Originally Posted by xchs View Post
    Really? I can't believe that. Everything described there is correct!

This are exactly all the symlinks that were converted to folders while uploading to the live server.
    Everything was of course correct with the contents of the link you gave but I was looking specifically for a solution to the symlinks. Many thanks for your help.