Thread: Contao 5: Templates not showing up in selection

New user

Default Contao 5: Templates not showing up in selection

Good afternoon gamers,
    got a Contao 5 installation here and love some of the changes.
    But templates are a bit confusing now, as I am struggling to get them to work.

What I was trying to do:
    Make a template version for the image content element that converts SVG-files into inline code (so it can be dynamically adressed via CSS).
    For that I have created .html5 templates. When trying to select the template for the content element, it wasn't showing up in the list, so I created two twig versions to see if they show up on template selection (the content of the templates is identical so far, unchanged from the original).

template_folder.jpg

Here a screenshot of my template selection on the image content element:

template_selection.jpg

I cannot figure out how to make use of my custom templates or how to make them show up when trying to select one.

New user

Been doing some more research on this in the meantime and figured some stuff out.
    So for the uninitiated:
    Contao 5 by default uses twig templates now, however there is a way to enable html5 templates to use still.
    However they are planned to be depricated and removed in Contao 6.
    So in this case I want to roll with the new twig templates.

I found some documentation on how to set up the structure for twig templates and variants in Contao 5:
    https://docs.contao.org/dev/framewor...ates/#variants

So, if I want to use a image template, it needs to follow the structure:
    content_element/
    >image.html.twig

I made some changes to this template and Contao by default uses this one as the global one now.
    Cool!

For variants to a template the documentation says the structure has to look like this:

content_element/
    >image/
    >>variant_name.html.twig
    >image.html.twig

That's what I did now.

template_folder_twig.jpg

When I go to my element to select a template tho, it still won't show the variant:

template_selection_twig.jpg

Any idea?

New user

After activating the debug mode the variants show up:

template_selection_twig.jpg

Using Debug mode for twig templates was mentioned in the German documentation in its introduction to twig.

Hope this helps anyone that runs into the same confusion I had!

New user

And for anyone who is curious about what the new default twig templates look like, you can find them here: https://github.com/contao/contao/tre...templates/_new
    Wish there was a way for loading them in on template creation like Contao did with the html5 templates.