Thread: 2.7.2 installation problem

New user

Default 2.7.2 installation problem

Hi there,

I've downloaded 2.7.2 to try out and have started the installation script, but after I've entered the encryption string I get the following error:

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not connect to database (Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO)) thrown in W:\www\LogicShop\typolight\system\libraries\Database.php on line 76 
    #0 W:\www\LogicShop\typolight\system\libraries\Database.php(134): Database->__construct()
    #1 [internal function]: Database::getInstance()
    #2 W:\www\LogicShop\typolight\system\libraries\System.php(145): call_user_func(Array)
    #3 W:\www\LogicShop\typolight\typolight\install.php(258): System->import('Database')
    #4 W:\www\LogicShop\typolight\typolight\install.php(767): InstallTool->run()
    #5 {main}
    I've run the pre-installlation check tool without any problems, but it seems that typolight is trying to access the mySQL database using a non-existent user.

Can anyone shed any light on what I need to do to get past this please?

Many thanks,
    Paul.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Default Re: 2.7.2 installation problem

It seems that your database login credentials are not correct.

New user

Hi Leo,

Yes, I'd guessed that much already! :D

No, my point was that the installation script didn't ask me for any logon credentials, and there's no mention in the documentation of having to do anything to install typolight other than run the install.php script.

From your answer, i'm guessing that there's something else that needs to be done BEFORE running install.php - is that right?

Regards,
    Paul.

New user

Ok - sorry, I've just resorted to reading the manual ( :shock: :D :lol: ) and found out that the installation tool doesn't self-confiigure and needs a database setting up prior to being run.

I've given myself a smack and will now follow the manual from here on in... :roll:

Thanks for your help,
    Paul.

New user

Me again!

Still stumped by this, I'm afraid.

The manual says:
    Set up a new database¶
    Now, set up a new database for your TYPOlight installation. The install tool itself is not able to create new databases since this feature is disabled on most shared hosting accounts anyway. TYPOlight uses the table prefix tl_, therefore it is possible to run TYPOlight parallel to other applications in the same database (not recommended).
    So, I've set up a new database called tltest and run the install tool, but I still get the same message as in my first post above.

There is definately a step missing in the instructions (unless I'm being particularly dense about this).

Any pointers?

Cheers,
    Paul.

New user

Is this of any significance? Could this be the reason why the installer doesn't work?

The check tool reports this:
    Code:
    You will most likely not be able to use the TYPOlight extension repository.
    The only thing that is highlighted in pink is:
    Code:
    SOAP extension • On Recommended setting is On.
    I really want to get this up and running, but the installer for 2.7.2 simply refuses to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Paul.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by DivTag
    Could this be the reason why the installer doesn't work?
    No. It couldn't.
    Without extension repository you just need to install extension manually.
    Have you seen this screencast? It covers all installation process step by step..

Experienced user

The database needs to be mysql (and meet the version in Requirements), you'll have a mysql user and pass, and the database host might not be localhost. Check all the details at your database (see if you can enter the database outside of Typolight.)

New user

Hi mauldork,

Quote Originally Posted by mauldork
    Have you seen this screencast? It covers all installation process step by step..
    Yes I have, and I've followed it, but after entering an encryption key I get the database error. I've tried it on three different machines now and get the same result on them all.

Thanks,
    Paul.

New user

Hi ramjet,

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet
    The database needs to be mysql (and meet the version in Requirements), you'll have a mysql user and pass, and the database host might not be localhost. Check all the details at your database (see if you can enter the database outside of Typolight.)
    I'm using the Uniform Server WAMP package successfully for several other websites, and it contains Apache 2.0.59, mySQL 5.0.41 and php 5.2.3, so the versions are all ok as far as I can see.

It looks as though TL is expecting there to be a default user of 'odbc' (which doesn't exist) without a password (I've ensured that all users have passwords regardless of where they are connecting from).

The error occurs before I get to enter the database credentials in the install tool.

This is very frustrating, but thank you for your help and any further suggestions you can come up with.

Cheers,
    Paul.

New user

It looks like the script is definately missing out the database credentials part of the process. I don't know why (I don't knwo how to debub php code unfortunately) but it seems to think that this step has already been done.

I created a user called ODBC without a password on my test server and the install script then went on to tell me that the database could not be found (of course it wouldn't as it hadn't executed that part of the script yet!).

I then copied the DB config from config.php to the end of localconfig.php and updated it to have the proper connection properties, pointing it at the new, empty database and then re-ran the script. This time it told me that it couldn't find the tables - well it wouldn't, would it, as it hadn't executed the part of the script that creates them.

So there seems to be something wrong with the installation script.

As I've said before, I've tried this on 3 different machines now (two with clean installs of the WAMP server) and get the same result on all of them.

Could some kind soul try the same thing for me using the download of 2.7.2 on a clean installation and tell me if they get any problems too?

Cheers,
    Paul.

New user

Hi DivTag,
    You can try to edit file system/config/localconfig.php manually before runing install.php.
    Add there following lines:
    Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbDriver'] = 'MySQL';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbHost'] = '<your host>';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbUser'] = '<your user>';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbPass'] = '<your password>';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbDatabase'] = '<your db>';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbPconnect'] = false;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbCharset'] = 'UTF8';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['dbPort'] = 3306;
    After that run install.php again. Maybe it can help..

New user

Hi mauldork,

Yes, I tried that, but now the script tells me that the tables are missing (which they would be as the script didn't get around to creating them). There's definately something not right with either the script or my environment.

I'm going to download the latest version of my server and set up a completely new server and try it on that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul.

New user

Problem solved: it appears that there is a compatibility issue between typolight and the version of the server software that I'm running.

I downloaded the latest version of Uniform Server (4.3), copied TYPOlight into the root folder and the installation script ran perfectly.

So it looks like I've got a full weekend ahead of me upgrading the server software which currently supports half a dozen database-driven sites :roll:

Thanks for all your help guys,
    Paul.