Thread: Catalog with member

User

Default Catalog with member

"Catalog" is an extension that works perfectly for my site, but i must give the possibility to the users to ceate and manage a catalog item. [fields are 3 photo and a little description].

So, is it possible to configure a user that can create (from the front-end) a catalog item (only one) and then through his personal page edit this?

Perhaps one possibility is to use a form to insert in the database table [catalog item table] the fields typed by the user in the front end. This works, but i can't give the possibility to change this information after, because i loose the correlation between user and catalog item , so i don't know which user create the catalog item.

Have you any suggestion about this?

Thanks to all.
    King Regards, and thanks to people that developed this extension.
    Tiziano.

Experienced user

Default Re: Catalog with member

The Catalog EDIT Module is coming in the next release, which I've finally got time to finish now that one of my clients is going to use the new version. You are correct in you're assumption that using the form will work, but you can't use it to update information (1-way only).

User

Thanks for the answer thyon...

When you think to release this new extension "catalog Edit"?

One possible work-around that i try to implement this afternoon is to save in a separate personal database table (i.e. cat_user_item) the "id" of the catalog item inserted and the "unique" user-name of the user.
    So in the personal page i can load in a form, data contained in the catalog item table, and update it on the next "submit" event.

Is it in your opinion, a valid solution?

Thanks for your work.
    Tiziano.

Experienced user

Its working now, but needs to be grafted into you installation -- which can become quite messy. If you willing to graft it, I can provide it to you now. Something you need to be aware of, is that the Catalog Edit only works with a Catalog List module, where you enable editing and the edit page. Then next to each item, there is a VIEW and EDIT link, each taking you to a Catalog Reader and Catalog Edit Module page respectively. So if the user needs to edit their own item, you still have to provide in the URL the catalog alias or item ID, e.g. as per the reader page.

PS. Note: Files and Images (especially multiples) have not been enabled, because this is quite a lengthy process to integrate. So they can only edit text, textarea, select, tags, urls, etc.