Thread: Old Forum Support Documentation Will Be Lost?

New user

Default Old Forum Support Documentation Will Be Lost?

There's a TON of questions answered and other helpful articles in the old forum. I know some of them are outdated, but it seems a shame to lose all that potentially helpful documentation. Is there any effort underway to remedy this? Is the old forum going to remain up for searching? (this seems inelegant to me)

Other than that, I think this is a good move. I like it. I do wish it looked more like the project website though.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Default Re: Old Forum Support Documentation Will Be Lost?

The project website will be relaunched, too

Experienced user

Leo, will the old forum go away, though? As Logan says, there's a wealth of info on it. Hopefully it will live on, at least until the new forums build up with more posts.

In the German Forum, I suggested a method on how the information can be preserved:
    • create (machine readable?) export-files (XML, PDF, …) containing Title, Usernames, Dates, Messages, Attachments? (each file contains one discussion)[/*:m:3mt8zdn0]
    • grant public access to the files (e. g. on the TYPOlight server or one of the new forum's server)[/*:m:3mt8zdn0]
    • use e. g. Google to make the files searchable[/*:m:3mt8zdn0]
    • optional: provide a method to mark a discussion as e. g. essential, outdated (e. g. for descriptions that no longer work in current TL versions), non-essential -> later you can delete the outdated & non-essential discussions to free the servers from trash[/*:m:3mt8zdn0]

I think there will be enough volunteers that mark the discussions, this should be a community-driven "project".

New user

Hello,
    As a beginner, I wish to tell that at an old forum there are almost all answers to questions which arise in process studying of this remarkable system.
    It allows not to distract, at least, serious people from more useful work.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Leo, will the old forum go away, though? As Logan says, there's a wealth of info on it.
    The old forum will persist as long as people are using it. Once Google Analytics says that there are no more visits, it will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhmet
    As a beginner, I wish to tell that at an old forum there are almost all answers to questions which arise in process studying of this remarkable system.
    That might be true today, because the forum is still quite up to date. In a year or two, when there is TYPOlight 2.11, I don't think that too many people need information about version 2.6. Also, you did not see the new user's guide yet

New user

so where is the old forum? I would love to browse through it as I'm learning.

Experienced user

http://typolight.org/forum.html
    The search mechanism is a bit ...ah... peculiar