Thread: grouped sorting

New user

Default grouped sorting

Hello,

is it possible to sort the items in groups in the frontend?

I want it like this exactly in the frontend (sorry for german):

Filterfunctions and searchfunction are available, but what about this sortfunction?
    It should be possible to sort all items in groups (for example sort by date -> grouped in months; as you can see on the picutre)

How can i do that?

Regards,
    Shade

PS: A big thanks for your extension! It is extremly configurable, so it can be also used as a Event-Calender.

Experienced user

Default Re: grouped sorting

You have to edit EACH field and also select the sorting ability for EACH field. You can also specify HOW to sort each field. There are several options, by date, alphabetically by first letter, or grouped by value (e.g. category).

New user

Hi,
    I would like to reactivate this topic. I am not sure if I understood your last post thyon.
    So, I know it is possible to group catalog entries in the backend list. But, is there an easy possibility to do this in frontend list, too? Or do I have to write my own template?

Could you explain that a little bit more in detail?

Thanks and regards
    globalcow

Experienced user

You can sort items easily in the front-end, either manually (using the order section in the Catalog List) or you can use the Catalog Filter's sort drop-down and select which options. Then you will have to write a custom template to write out a Group Header everytime it changes.

New user

Hi thyon,

thank you for your answer! But as I understand right, it is not possible to make a SELECT query with a GROUP BY option for the catalog entries in the frontend list? Or in other words, I can not do that with the modules and templates given by default?

cu
    globalcow