Thread: Multi Domain Feature

New user

Default Multi Domain Feature

Hi all,

1) From what I understand Typolight handles multiple domains into a single installation, is that correct ? So you can handle mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com websites into one single installation

2) Apart from configuring the domain name on Site structure > Website Root > Domain Name is there any other parameter I need to consider to make it work for multiple domains ? Does it requires an special installation on my server ?

Any feedback, previous experiences, tutorials, or documentations on this would be greatly appreciated. I just paid for a Virtual Server which handles multiple domains and want to build many websites sharing one installation of Typolight.

Thanks very much !!!

New user

Default Re: Multi Domain Feature

Yes you can

I've already setup one of my clients with 2 different domains on the same TYPOlight installation, and when first you know how to do it, its actually piece of cake

If you, as me are running a virtual dedicated server you would login to your TYPOlight installation on domain1.com and create a new website root with domain name domain2.com
    ..then, login to your dedicated server administration panel and jump to the domain settings for domain1.com and create a new domain alias of domain2.com ..and bam.. now you got it

I hope that worked?
    Cheers!

Jimmy Rittenborg
    Follow me on twitter

New user

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your answer prompt, I haven't installled them yet.

What you say is to install Typolight under one particular domain let's say domain1.com, then login to admin page on that installation and create as many Roots as websites I want to create..

Then I login to my dedicated server and select domain1.com and create as many aliases as needed...

Will try this and let you know,,

Great Thanks for your help !!!

New user

Yeah exactly, thats how im doing it - its really simple, and my client mentioned this feature yesterday as a fantastic solution by the way, he is really happy about it and want to tell everybody he knows about! :D
    Cheers!

Jimmy Rittenborg
    Follow me on twitter

New user

Hi guys,

I am trying to do this (but with subdomains) and I am really confused.

After you create the root in Typolight for domain2.com, what do you have to do in server of domain1.com??

Thanks for clarification in advance.

New user

Basically You should have 2 domains / domian plus subdomain pointing to the server root (public_html / www)

Login to Typolight and create your site structure so that all the pages are of type (new website root) in each of those you need to put your respective domain / subdomains

Typolight
    Domain1.com
    Domain2.com
    SubDomain.Domain1.com
    SubDomain.Domain2.com

Once you've done that, you should be able to navigate each of the sites separately. You will need to create a layout for each site and have individual site modules as well as having active pages with active articles.

There is one issue that i have come across, but not had time to look into yet, and that is when linking between your domains and subdomains the url doesn't change - e.g link from site1 to site2 domain should change to site2 but it actually remains as site1

@Jimmy - have you come across the linking issue at all
    Internet Marketing is both measurable and accountable.
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley
    On Facebook Caroco Marketing

New user

it doesnt seem to work... i seem to be missing something...

New user

Quote Originally Posted by matta
    A break down of what you are running and url's would be useful
    Internet Marketing is both measurable and accountable.
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley
    On Facebook Caroco Marketing

User

Quote Originally Posted by matta
    @matta
    I may be wrong, but I think you may be a bit confused about the principle concept of multi-domains in a single TYPOlight installation.

Normaly each CMS installation is placed in their own directory on a server with their own database. If you want more than one instance of a CMS, you would normally have to install additional CMS's in their own directories with url domains/subdomains names pointed at the directory.

TYPOlight allows you to have multiple domains under one single installation. More than one domain name can be pointed to one single TYPOlight installation. So one does not need to install multiple instances in multiple directory.

I think that is the basic idea, I haven't had the need to use this but TYPO3 also has the same principle. It's a very nice feature
    geung

New user

I guess my question is how do I point a domain to the typolight install? where do I enter the domain name and were do I add the domain details?

what would stop me from pointing pizzahut.com to my typolight installation? there needs to be something to configure somewhere... whether it is within TL or in the admin properties of the domain name provider...

User

Setting up where your DNS (domain name system) points to is dependent on who you bought that name with, they will hold your domain name and give you various options on what to do with it.

Letting TYPOlight know that it should only accept an incoming DNS into a certain root tree is quite easy (so it seems).
    Make another web root page.
    In the 'DNS' options under 'Domain name' you enter the name you have pointed, it reads "Here you can restrict the access to the website to a certain domain name"....bingo!

So if you could get hold of the admin for pizzahut.com, you could forward the address to your root or directory on your host server.
    Or point the name to the host server DNS.
    Or transfer your name to your host server.
    geung

Hi There,
    I have though not tested with Multi Domain Feature of TYPOlight, but one question come right in my mind.
    How is the search index handled? I mean If a person searchs Site A, will he be presented with results form Site B too, in this Multi domain One TL intallation?
    Thanks
    OM MANI PEME HUNG! how many has to die for freedom and dignity. Save this world